• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pheasant opener in MN Minnesota and SoDak South Dakota are both Oct. 16th!!!

BLACKJACK

I'm bummed, I haven't missed a Minnesota pheasant opener in 25 years, but this year the opener in both states is Oct. 16th. The last several years MN has always opened a week earlier than SoDak, now this year they're both the same weekend, I wonder what changed? Looking at the SoDak regulations, they state that "the pheasant opener is traditionally the third Sat in Oct". I wonder if MN is opening later this year? Anybody know?

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 08-30-2004).]

The same thing happened with the MN fishing opener this year. Instead of opening it the second weekend of May, the 8th, they waited until the 15th. Apparently, the DNR thinks opening pheasant season the 9th is too early. Why? Who knows?! Maybe it has something to do with them extending the season until Dec. 31st?

I was also thinking that maybe that extended season til Dec 31 might be the reason for the later opening. I sent an inquiry to the DNR, no response yet.

decisions decisions decisions,

What should I do? This is my first year as a resident of Mn. I grew up in South Dakota and was hoping to be able to make both openers.

j/k I will be in SD for sure. But I hear the numbers look good this year. Not as good as last year, but far better than average.

Lets hope we dont have a 90 degree opener like we did last year, that was pretty tough on the dogs frown.gif and hunters as well.

I thought I read somewhere that the SD opener is only for residents or something along those lines? Is that true?

there is a 3 day season oct 9-11 for residents on public land only (walk ins etc.) Here is some better info from DNR website:

Season Dates: October 9-11, 2004
Open Unit: Statewide, on public hunting lands only, including GFP land that is owned, managed or leased by the department and is normally open to public hunting. Also, Walk-In Areas that the department leases and manages, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Waterfowl Production Areas, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers land adjacent to the Missouri River, U.S. Forest Service National Grasslands, and U.S. Bureau of Reclamation land will be open to public hunting. Only those public road rights-of-way adjacent to public hunting areas open to hunting will be open to hunting for this early 3-day season.
Daily Limit: 3 rooster pheasants, with a possession limit of 9 taken according to the daily limit.
Shooting Hours: Noon to sunset (Central Time).

And Oct. 2 is SD's youth Pheasant weekend. I had promised my 13 year old we would go, I am still hoping to make it.

Gotta get that GSP started on the right foot. wink.gif

------------------
Brian Rogers

Iceleaders
JR's Tackle
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 08-31-2004).]

The response that I got from the DNR was:

The Minnesota pheasant is the nearest Saturday to October 13th by DNR
rule.

I have been reading the south dakota hunting site, and cant find how long the season is for non-residents.
Could someone tell me?
thanks.

also, I have never hunted SD , so not sure how far one needs to go.
I live in Moorhead, and if anyone can just give me a clue on how far I need to go to get into some half way decent hunting, I would really appreciate it. I've got a young dog I'm working with, and I really need to get her in front of birds her first season.
I DO have the SD atlas as well, so I can see where the public land is.

I just came back from Aberdeen a couple days ago. Wish I would have had, and taken the time to drive around and do some scouten.

thanks

Dano:
Before you head out to SD, a couple trips to a local shooting preserve would get your young dog on birds, so that when you went on your hunting trip, it will have a better chance of being successful.
Good luck!

Gotcha there Gundoglily, hopen to get out there real soon, soon as it quits rainen around here. Talked to the guy at the hunten preserve a couple weeks ago, and he said anytime now, so I'm getting antsy to see how she does with the real thing instead of the dummies.

BDR, are you saying that its not a 10 day thing for non residents anymore? Heh, heh, I guess you probably are. anyway, as far as were I go, since I live in Moorhead, and cant really afford staying over night all the time, (even though I may once or twice) I will probably just try aways over the border, and if I stay over, maybe I'll go as far as Aberdeen, depending on how the hunting is closer to the border. I was looking at the map, and it looks like it is fairly decent up in that northeastern area of SD, but then much better around Aberdeen.
I'll probably stick around the roberts county area, and then head to highway 12 if I have to, I see theres alot of public land along there just before Waubay, but I haven't the foggiest what its like, maybe evrythings been cut, who knows, thats why I wish I could of had some time for scouting on the way back from Aberdeen, but kind of tough when the wife and kids are with.
thanks

Sorry, I should have clarified my question abit better. what I meant on the 10 day thing was, for some reason I thought you only had 10 days to hunt in SD just like ND as a non -res. but maybe that has been changed.

BDR, have you ever hunted the areas I have mentioned in my last post, I dont expect any detail, just trying to get somewhat of an idea.
thanks

Dano2- yes they still make you choose 2-5 day periods for you hunting. The second period is changeable as long as you change prior. so always put the last 5 days of the year for your second 5 days then you can change as needed.

I was in the Aberdeen area last year for the youth weekend. All public WMA's and walk-in areas. Never in my life have I seen so many birds. Thats where we will be going again this year.

I did not hunt there myself last year in protest of the 10 day thing and barring us from the first week. I figure if they want to make it a hassle for us to come then they dont need my money, I do set those feelings aside for my boy and let him experience the hunt of a lifetime. Its only $20 for nonres kids. I may hunt there this year but probably not for the same resons. And I have been doing very well in MN public areas.

------------------
Brian Rogers

Iceleaders
JR's Tackle
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait

[email protected]