• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chokes for grouse

Clouser

For someone who cannot hit a bull in the **s with a bass fiddle, suggest to me the choke sizes to be used with a 12 gauge from early to late season.

Clouser

I use a modified choke. I practice at a sporting clays course, as close to real hunting as it gets. Plus it feels good to powder one.

I usually just leave my stock modified custom chocke in for the whole time. But i switch my shots around. Early in the year i tend to use 4-7, later i use 7-8&1/2.This seems to ork reel well. Then sometimes ill stick a 8 in then a 6 for the close then flying shot when theyre spooky!!!Hope this helps!
The Kid

For me it's open and open'er. Then during the course of the day if I find the birds are not flushing close then I'll tighten up. But I am no expert by any stretch when it comes to grouse. It probably depends on whether you go dogless, pointer, flusher, quality of dog work, your reflexes, etc... ad nauseum... I'll bet Setterguy would have some good insight since he's a hardcore grouser.

I guess I didn't make a suggestion. Start with cylinder or improved cylinder and 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 or 8 shot. Then tighten up from there as needed.

[This message has been edited by gspman (edited 07-20-2004).]

I have gone to starting with skeet and then maybe going to improved cylinder if they are spooking easily. I am also trying to convert to steel, and 6's have been pretty good for me. I have some steel 7's, but haven't really tried them.

I don't hunt with a dog, so I don't like to try real long shots with a modified choke, where it will be harder to find a downed bird.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I use several different chokes depending on the cover and how the birds are holding.

You'll usually find Skeet1, skeet2, improved cylinder or mod in my grouse gun.

Borch

I usually go with a improved cylinder or modified with #8. Last year I tried a cylinder choke and you have to be fast to hit the bird while it's in the range of a cylinder. My 2 cents.

In the first barrel I have open for those close flushes that you tend to get early in the year when there are still some young birds around. In the second barrel its modified. I will rarely change the chokes throuhout the year, but will change loads. Early when there are still leaves on the trees I will use copper plated # 6s, and then once the foiliage is gone its hi-brass 71/2 for the rest of the year. IMO nothing shoots srtaighter or knocks down more birds than the hi brass.