• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2nd Annual FM Pheasant Hunt

spinach

Spinach, my info is correct and I am working on a co-worker who has a young lab and is interested. I will know for sure if he is coming tomorrow morning if he does we will take another 5 birds.

Spinach, I just got confirmation from my co-worker he willtake 5 birds and has a lab.

Adam

[This message has been edited by ATM (edited 09-28-2004).]

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spinach

• Wild Willie

• pheasant maniac

• Benny

Mistermom, do you live near the school on adair, I live north of 42nd on adair and while out with my dog we see a pointer down by the school alot thought it might be you. Adam

spinach,
If it's that close, I'd be willing to up my bird count by one.

My last post about Perkins location was posed as more of a question. Just wanted to make sure I have the right Perkins.

I'm planning on being at Perkins so I can introduce myself and put some names with some faces. I briefly met BDR out in front of a cafe in Lindstrom last winter.(scratching your head yet?)

see you guys there
joe

------------------
RAGNAR!!??....BAH!!! BRING BACK HUB!!

My info is correct, just making sure that I got put down for a lunch also. I sent my check for 53.00, four birds and lunch. Just making sure that prices of birds didn't go up or something. If there is a price difference just let me know. I will be at the Perkins @6:30 to make sure that BDR doesn't take all the hot coffee...

PS - I am going to have to leave after lunch and will not be able to attend the afternoon. I have a bachelor party to attend.

[This message has been edited by setterguy (edited 09-29-2004).]

Hey everyone,

I need a couple of volunteers.

With Wild Willie not able to show the workload to make sure this runs as smooth as possible has fallen all on me.

I am 100% positive we will all have a great time.

I would like to have 1 person that attended the last hunt volunteer to help me out, little things like making sure everyone is having fun, help setting up groups, help designating boundarys etc... most of this stuff is common sense but it's always nice to have someone with some knowledge of the rules. This person should be able to answer general questions and have prior knowledge of the game farm.

Also I would like to get a volunteer to cook the burgers and help out with the food etc... This persons only responsibility would be to not burn the food....

Anyways we're only a couple of days away and the weather looks good and cool. I'm really pumped up and raring to go again.

If anyone has any questions or concerns please speak up now.

A few quick reminders:

1. Blaze orange is required
2. Absolutely no ground shooting.
3. Hunt safely....
4. Water for your dogs and know when to give them a rest. They will not let you know.
5. Have fun.

Spinach..I can give you an hand getting things going, groups, boundaries, etc.... Let me know, e-mail or give me a call.

My info is correct, two people,two labs,two lunches, 8 birds.

I may be able to help out with more birds as well if needed,let me know if we come up short.
Benny

Spinach, any way I could get one bird put out that was marked as to where it is at?

I want to get the pup onto a bird right away so she can get the idea what she is out there for.

Maybe a ribon tied above where it was stashed, and in the first area my group will go through?

Just asking to see if it is posible to do this.

Thanks, Benny

Benny - you are more than welcome to use one of my remote launcers for your pup in the morning. They might hold a hen, but a chukar would probably fit better. That way we can put it out, it won't be able to run and you can be sure the dog will have a chance to find it. I am brining them anyway, so just let me know if you want to use it.

Setterguy that would be great,I will see if I can get a chucker or two from the farm.If they don't ave any I could stop in at the game farm just north of elk river that sells them.

I have not had a chance to get her on birds that I know she can flush.She did fair on the ducks, after the first mallard I had to toss for her she picked up the teal at the edge of the cattails.
But that first bird she wouldn't bring it back to me until I tossed it, so that leads me to believe she thinks they have to be tossed by me or she won't get them.

Just a note for us who will be going North on 169 to 95.

The 95 over pass is closed, you have to go about a mile North of the exit to the next one and then come back South to get to west 95 off 169.

May try a turn off before that and then find a road North to 95 from there.

Benny

Benny,

Yes, we can accomodate your request. When we have the birds planted I will have 1 especially for you with a marker. Chukar are available at the farm as well. I'll make sure the younger pups are well taken care of.

I believe the cost for chukar is $8.00

Pheasant maniac, I will take you up on your offer and designate you as the official burger flipper.

Tim, Thankyou for offering to help out with the hunt. I have everything under control as of now, but will be able to use your help at the farm.

Here is a list of groups I have set, this is for the morning hunt and is subject to change. I tried to seperate pointers from labs/flushers the best I could.

Group #1

Spinach, 5 birds and 1 Weimaraner
Gspman, 4 birds and 1 Gsp
Kpj5br and guest, 10 birds

Group #2

Bdr, 4 birds and 1 Gsp
Mistermom, 6 birds and 1 Pointer
Pheasant Maniac, 4 birds and 1 Gsp
Metrojoe, 4 birds

group #3

Setterguy, 4 birds and 1 Setter
Atm, 5 birds and 1 Gsp
Atm's guest,5 birds and 1 Lab
Luke, 4 birds and 1 Brittany

Group #4

Benny, 4 birds and 1 Lab
Benny's guest, 4 birds and 1 Lab
J Rookie K, 6 birds and 1 Chessie
Mayfly, 4 birds and 1 Pointer/flusher

[This message has been edited by spinach (edited 10-01-2004).]

Spinach...I think I would feel more comfortable with Luci not in a pointing group..we can talk about this in the AM. What time are you going to be at Perkins and which one? I'll be there.

Tim,
I should be at Perkins at 6:45 am. Perkins in Elk River on the east side of the road.

I'll change you to another group.

Guys - First...Spinach your group looks loaded with birds. My suggestion is to drop Mayfly down into flusher group where he feels more comfortable and insert Luke and Buddy into Setterguy's group. I would buy four birds to bring that groups bird count up...if that is okay with the all the hunters in that group. Luke knows how to handle himself in the field and I would instruct him to stay tight to Setterguy. Luke will be coached by me in the Jeep on the way up as to how I want him to handle Buddy...and...the hunters in Lukes group have my permission to give him suggestions / advice / corrections in the field regarding how he is doing with himself and Buddy. Luke knows gun safety and his been in the field enough with me and Buddy to do a good job...if I thought he couldn't handle it I would not let him go.

Secondly...just got off the phone with Rick. They have had a lot of rain up there...so it would be wise to bring hip-boots, extra pair of dry clothes. Stay on the gravel parking lot in front of the office. Don't drive down into the grass just east of the barn...it is too wet.

He said he has some great looking birds in the pen and there are plenty of scratch birds out in the fields.

Third...we will put numbers 1 thru 4 in a hat and randomly draw two numbers. Those numbers will represent the four fields to be hunted. The two jackpot birds will be placed in the those fields.

Also, I am bring ing some ReadyRig Ice Rod Carrying Cases as door prizes for the team that has the best kill rate. I am also going to handout door prizes to the top point winning dog in the flusher and pointer groups. Again...flushing dogs get 1-point for being closest to the flush and 1-point for the retrieve. Pointers get 1-point for a staunch point, 1-point for a back and 1-point for the retrieve, which does not have to be to hand.

That's about it for now...see you at Perkins.

Well a big thanks to Spinach for putting together another great hunt.
Every one looked to be having fun and I think all had a chance to shoot a few birds.
The dogs got along good for being so many there,conditions were tough for the dogs as the wind was blowing and the cover is still thick.

Thanks Pat,hope to get in on one next year as well.

Benny

I second that emotion. I had a great time!!! It was great to put some faces with the message board names and to get to know you guys a little better in person. My pup did everything I wanted so it was a good experience for her too. Thanks again to Spinach, Dixie and I had a blast!!!
gspman

I could see how a guy could get hooked on this pheasant hunting thing. I’ve got some minimal bird hunting experience with grouse and I really enjoy getting in the woods with the dog, but this is my first opportunity to hunt over pointers. Watching those dogs work is something else.

I had a great time. I really enjoyed meeting all the members and I wanted to thank spinach and Wild Willie and any other members involved in pulling this all together. I will definitely be in for the next one. Also wanted to thank the staff at Glendorado for all their hard work and really making it a great day. It’s only an hour drive so I may be heading back up there soon. I’ve got a flusher that desperately needs some bird time.

------------------
RAGNAR!!??....BAH!!! BRING BACK HUB!!

Thankyou everyone for all the kind words. It really makes it worth while to hear you had a good time.

I really enjoyed meeting you all and meeting your dogs as well.

A special thankyou to Pheasant maniac for volunteering to run the grill.

I believe we got around 60 of 74 birds, so congratulations to the entire group on the great teamwork.

Benny I'm looking forward to posting them pictures, so when you get a chance to send them to me my addy is turnquist927 at msn dot com

Metrojoe, I use Shutterfly to upload my pictures. Go to www.shutterfly.com and sign up for a free account then email me for directions from there. Otherwise email the pics and I can post them for the group.

Gspman, Dixie did a great job, i'm sure you were very proud of her. Dixie and Macy definitely make a great team. get a hold of me if you would like to get out this season.

Anyone else want to get out again this season give me a call. I'm looking into a South Dakota trip this winter if anyone is interested or has a place to go....

Thanks Spinach for all your hard work getting this thing off the ground. Thanks to all the attendees. Kudos to Rick and his crew. I believe everyone had a good time.

The weather was perfect, lunch was outstanding, the dogs worked hard and all were very social with one another.

The Purple Heart award goes to the A.M. Apple Orchard Gang...for making it through all the vegitation, brush and swamps. You guys looked like you just returned from a war zone. Whoever said game farm hunting is easy has never hunted the Glendorado Apple Orchard area late summer/early fall.

It was great to see all of you again and let's plan on a 2005 spring hunt when conditions in the field should be a little easier with less vegitation to over come.

Take care and shoot straight!

Ditto for me, had a great time, great to meet everyone, and thanks a million spinach for putting it together!

Had a great time again! Thanks Spinach, WildWillie, and Rick. Yep that Orchard was pretty tough on the dogs.

Spinach- I am planning a low budget trip for SD this year. Public land and walk-ins mostly, no pay hunting. If you want to set something up give me an E-mail.

Does Rick have scratch hunting on a daily basis? Anyone want to try to make a trip or two back before opener?

------------------
Brian Rogers
FM Sponsors

[email protected]

Bdr,
Yes I would love to make a S.D. run, The lower the budget the better. I will email you soon to discuss it. I do have acess to land in Milbank S.D. which is 10 miles from Big Stone. I do have a 6.5 x 12 sleeper fish house with bunks to sleep in if necessary.

Let me know when you can go to Glendorado this week or next, I'm thinking maybe Saturday morning for a few hours.

Rick has eliminated scratch hunting at the farm.

First I would like to thank spinach and wild willie for setting this all up.

It was nice to put some faces with names. Saw some nice looking dogs and some nice dog work.

I spent the morning in the apple orchard it was some tough wet terrain. Setter Guy the afternoon hunt was much better terrain for working with our pointing dogs. Both my dog trigger and wild willies dog buddy had some nice points.

I spent both the morning and afternoon hunt with wild willies son Luke, he is a fine young man.

Spinach/BDR my wife is from Wilmot SD which is not to far from Milbank. I spend alot of time hunting that area and fishing Big stone and Waubay area lakes shoot me an e-mail if you want to hunt or fish out there some time

Adam [email protected]

[This message has been edited by ATM (edited 10-04-2004).]

[This message has been edited by ATM (edited 10-05-2004).]

ATM,

I'm glad to hear you had a good time. I had no idea how tough and thick the apple orchard area was, I am sorry you had to go through that in the morning.

Luke is Wild Willies son. Thankyou for allowing him to join your group.

I would like to get together with you and do some hunting in the Milbank area. Both me and Bdr will get in touch with you soon to see if we can get something going. Thanks for the offer....