• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2nd Annual FM Pheasant Hunt

spinach

If your FM hunt is on a MN licensed shooting preserve, no licenses or stamps are required for anyone, either resident or nonresident.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spinach

• Wild Willie

• pheasant maniac

• gspman

I have been in California for the last week and just now got back home. I will review all the recent posts and give an update soon.

J rookie k, I did recieve your deposit check and thankyou for being so prompt.

Wannafishto,

Yes this is an open invitation, you are very welcome to join us....

Let me know if you want me to sign you up.

Kpj5br, This hunt will be on a preserve so no licenses or stamps are necessary.

Check the new updated signup list for accuracy........

could some one give direction or supply a map to the game farm i could not find it on the net.
thanks

Directions to Glendorado shooting preserve from the Twin Cities...

Go North on 169 to Hwy 95, Go west on Hwy 95 8.2 miles to 19181 State Hwy 95 Princeton Mn, 55371 (right side) Last Farm before cty rd. 9. My cell phone # is 651-775-7670 if you get lost.

Anybody had a chance to get their dogs out for any bird work yet? Had a chance last Saturday to get out with Spinach and shoot at a couple of geese...man was that a hoot. I will never forget the jolt of energy I got as a flock of about 20 really big birds circled around and almost landed on top of us and the decoys. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and their dogs up in Princeton on October 2nd. We could use a few more hunters...so don't be shy and sign up for a great time of fun and fellowship! That includes you Labs...just wouldn't be the same without you dude. Oh by the way I never did get around to the rock...got the edging down but that was as far as that project went...oh well, always next year!

W.W. don't know if my truck could take another FM hunt!!! grin.gif heheehe Been watching your thread and all participants will have a good time! Unfortunatley I am in a walleye tourney that weekend so I won't be able to make it! Take some pictures and post them here on the forum... Good luck to all and have a safe hunt!

Shoot for the blue...

Ken

Well guys I am geting excited for this outing. I spent a few hours at Major ave hunt club in Glencoe yesterday. I bought 5 quail and 3 chuckars. My pointer found all of them and held his points nicely. The first few I missed on purpose so we could go track them down again. Then I just couldnt hit the darn things. It was great to be out with the dog again. I am looking forward to meeting some more people from this site. Spinach I will put my check in the mail tonight sorry for the delay. Adam

Hey Spinach!
I'm sending you a check tomorow. Sorry about the delay. I just moved and started a new job and haven't touched a computor in about a month. Looking forward to it!

mm

Labs - good luck with the tournament. You will be missed at the hunt. I was preparing to bring my high pressure washer and heavy duty tow chains to the event just in case or rain...but I guess I can just leave them behind for now.

Spinach, Mayfly and BDR drop me a email this evening ([email protected]). I have an idea I want to pass along to you three regarding the farm!

I know this is a little late in the game but, is it too late to get in on this?

If not,

4 pheasants
no dog
1 lunch

I may not be able to reply to this until Monday.

If not, I understand.

Wish I could go.....A good friend, Mayfly, was telling me about the first trip. Sounded like a lot of fun! Have fun and maybe i'll head out next time.

I was thinking of having some sort of contest during the hunt.

I thought of tying a colored ribbon on a couple of the birds, We could all throw $5.00 in the pot and whoever shoots the yellow banded bird wins x amount and whoever shoots the orange banded bird gets x amount etc..... What do you guys think? Does anyone have any outdoors type products to donate for a prize or two?

As far as marking the birds I believe we could ask Rick the farmowner to take care of this and not let anyone of us know what field he set them in. This would be fair to everyone involved.

One last thing to consider, Most of us realize that Rick's prices are quite a bit lower than most other hunt clubs. Rick does not make a very big profit from this after you consider his costs involved in keeping up the farm, raising and feeding, etc...
Please consider leaving a couple dollars in his tip jar.

Spinach - how lucky would it be for one guy in a group that was assigned to the field where Rick just randomly placed the big pot bird? I'm sure a lot of other hunters would cry FOUL! I understand your idea calls for a 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place payoff bird. What if there are five groups going out in the morning. That means two groups would not even get a chance to win.

How about this...Rick plants a banded chukar somewhere in every field where a group is going to hunt. Every shooter of a banded chukar gets a share of the pot. Sort of like skins in golf. Lets say there are 20 hunters, each guy chips in $5 for a $100 total purse. Lets say there would be five groups of four hunters and five banded birds planted in each of the five hunting areas. If all five banded chukars are bagged then each would be worth $20. If only one gets bagged it would be worth $100. The only rule would be that hunters that have not chipped into the pot can not shoot at either a pointed or flushed chukar.

I have some ReadyRig 28" Ice Rod Cases that I would be willing to handout to the top two teams with the best kill ratio. I also would be willing to handout a few extra cases to the two top performing dogs in terms of the number of solid steady points/retrieves - in the pointer group and most flushes/retrieves - in the flusher group. Pointers would get one point for point, back and retrieve. Flushers would get one point for flush and for retrieve. The two dogs in each category with the most points would win the prize.

Your thoughts please!

[This message has been edited by Wild Willie (edited 09-10-2004).]

I am up to any suggestions, Mine was just something I participated in at Wild Wings a few years ago. 1 Bird had a yellow ribbon tied to it among 40 hunters, 500 freshly planted birds and I was the "lucky" shooter that day winning $250.00 in cash.

Also the field Rick would plant the banded bird in would not necessarily be the same field it gets shot in. Remember how many wild flushes happen.

Anyways I would just like to get a little competition going and agree with your idea as well.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?

Most hunt clubs band 1 or 2 winning birds and randomly place them in designated fields. Yes it is pure luck to be in that field but at the same time everyone else has to not let that bird flush wild.

I would rather have a chance at winning a bigger pot $$$$ than have multiple winners at smaller payouts.

I think you guys should go for a bigger pot and less marked birds. Remember all the running birds, wild flushes, and birds just getting around. It would be all about luck and who knows maybe that bird would never get shot?? Or found... I remeber last time at Glendorado there was at least one maybe more chukars planted behind the pens in the wooded area. Those bird were never found. That supports the idea of more marked birds being planted. Maybe it would be a good idea to plant more marked birds. Just becasue they are there doesn't mean they will be found..... smile.gif

That sounds great, whatever you guys decide is fine with me. (I wont feel bad about taking your money. LOL.) I just hope my Chessie will let some of the other dogs retrieve some birds. LOL again. He has only hunted with other dogs once before. He will be OK, lab-like personality. Im getting pumped for this one. Im sure it will be an exellent lerning experience. We need all the learning we can get. Thanks, Rookie

[This message has been edited by J Rookie K (edited 09-12-2004).]

Thanks spinach,

I look forward to meeting some FM memebers. I'll also send off a check this week.

I'm a rookie pheasant hunter and I've never been to a game farm so I hope some of the other members don't mind showen me the ropes.

Thanks again and see ya there,
Joe

I'll be there by 8:00 am. Stopping for breakfast at Perkins (Elk River) on the way. Anyone else want to meet at Perkins at 7:00 am.

I believe it is in Elk River, it is the Perkins on Highway 169 on the east sideof the road.

Spinich I just got my PC back from the repair guy.I sent you the money today, sorry for the delay but I was hunting geese every weekend and had a down PC so was unable to retrieve the mailing address till today.
Benny

Spinach,
My schedule just opened up slightly and I think I can make this event if I can still get in. Is it too late to get in? My only stipulation is I have to be in Eagan by 3:00 on Oct 2 so I might have to get there early and leave early. Let me know. If yes, put me down for 4 pheasants and 1 GSP (Dixie). I can send the check on Monday. You can email me at clark dot koenen at thomson dot com if necessary. Thanks.
gspman

Benny I recieved your deposit yesterday, Thankyou.

Gspman, No problem, I signed you up. We will see you there on the 2nd.