• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
spinach

2nd Annual FM Pheasant Hunt

spinach

As you requested. We have decided to have a 2nd Annual FM Pheasant Hunt.

The date will be on October 2nd (Saturday) From 9:00 am until ????

Costs will be $12 per pheasant.

This invitation is open to all FM'ers and their guests.

We would like to invite around 25 to 30 hunters. Last fall we had a very good turnout with around 30 hunters showing up, so I am expecting to see most of the same people joining us. Please sign up soon to reserve a spot.

We will be able to secure the entire preserve to ourselves if we can make the 80-100 bird minimum. This would require a 3 bird per hunter minimum.

We will assign 5 to 6 groups of hunters and start the hunt at 9:00 am. Lunch will be served at noon along with time to socialize and relax. The afternoon hunt will start around 2:00 pm.

I will bring a gas grill, burgers, brats, chips etc... Their will be a small lunch fee to reimburse my costs. (approximately $5.00)

Please supply your own beverages. pop, beer, water etc...

We will also require a prepayment from each hunter for a minimum of 50% of your total birds ordered. Please send prepayment no later than 9-01-04 to Pat Turnquist 2753 Bexley dr. Woodbury Mn. 55125. The funds collected will be sent directly to the owner of the preserve. This is to assure that those of us who show up are not responsible for any no shows. (last hunt 30 hunters only 1 no show)

Please reply with number of hunters, dogs and type of dogs and number of birds requested so we can assign groups of pointers and flushers.

1 article of blaze orange above the waist is required and don't forget to bring plenty of water for the dogs. I hope to see you all in October.

[This message has been edited by spinach (edited 08-05-2004).]

Wild Willie

Spinach - Add me, Luke, Buddy and five birds to your list.

I had a phone conversation with Rick last night at 7:30 pm while he was on his cell phone standing in the Lower Kinnininiinikinnick fishing for trout. He did not mention anything about higher bird prices so I'm assuming the $12 per bird cost is still good.

He said we could schedule earlier but that late September presents better conditions. He said there will be a lot of tall grass in the fields this year and conditions will be tough early on. The more groups that walk through in late August and early September will make it easier to find birds. He did say the corn will probably not be out by then but the back half of the farm was planted in beans and they will be all but gone.

I'm looking forward to the reunion!

Wild Willie

spinach

Wild Willie, Your not getting off that easy, it will take the both of us to answer questions and make this hunt just as sucessful as the last one. wink.gif

Everyone else: Please direct any questions to myself or Wild Willie.

REMINDER TO SELF: DO NOT DRIVE DOWN THE FARM ROAD AFTER HEAVY RAINFALL!!!! I'm sure a few of us will never forget that day we had 2 trucks stuck in the mud up to the bottom of the doors.....only 1 made it thru without getting stuck and I forget who it was wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

superfish2

I hope to attend this one as well. I made it to the last one and had a blast. I'll give it a tentitive yes. I don't even know what I'm doing this weekend let alone in Sept.

ATM

I will be there this time with a pointer(trigger). I will take 5 birds. Adam

Benny

Thanks for getting it together.
Put me down for two people one posibly two yellow labs.And 8 birds total.

Thanks, Benny

Wild Willie

Spinach - Okay, I didn't think it would be as easy as just showing up. You know I'm more than happy to pitch-in and get this thing rolling. We learned a few valuable lessons from the first outing that will help make the 2nd event even more of a success.

I'm thinking we should make contact with your embroidery friend and get some hats made for the event. We could get a per hat cost estimate and guys could place orders and add that amount to their deposit.

I also thought I could donate some sample ice rod carrying case products as prizes for the top group in each dog type category for the highest success rate for both morning and afternoon sessions.

Anyone else who attended the last event have any suggestions?

Wild Willie

spinach

I moved the signup list to page 8 of this thread.

[This message has been edited by spinach (edited 09-28-2004).]

Benny

Spinach, Sept.25th may end up being the waterfowl opener here and in the Dakota's.

If they decide on that date I may have to back out as we are going to hunt the Dakota's this year.

I hope it is a week later so I can go on the hunt, and will be able to hunt later into the fall for them ducks.

Just thought I would let you know about the duck opener as it may effect how many people can show up.

Put me and guest down for lunch as well.

Thanks, Benny

spinach

Benny, Good point. We could push it off to the following weekend October 2nd. Lets hear some thoughts on this from everyone.

What date would work better? 9-25-04 or 10-02-04 ?

bigeyes

Sounds super fun! I would like to attend with Jake(GSP) but once the hunt season opens we will be chasing grouse, ducks or pheasants by then. Why not make this thing in early september before the season starts, so as not to conflict with hunts? Also I imagaine us hunter will be excited and chomping on the bit before the seasons open to get us and our dogs a little practice.

Mayfly

I'm in no matter what Saturday it will be. I'm open.

Mayfly, Luci (points & flushes). 4 Birds.

Possible Guest.

Benny

Spinach,if you have to plan it before the middle of August try to see if the second weekend in October would work.
Or as some one else said earlier in September.

Until the flyway council meets we won't know which weekend duck opener will be held on.
I bet they go for the last weekend in September though.

Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 07-17-2004).]

BDR

Unfortunately the 25th won't work for me. I plan to be fishing the South LETS tourny on Tetonka.

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait

mistermom

Daisy and I will be there! Had a blast (no pun intended) at the first one. We will take 4 birds!

mm

spinach

It seems we have a roadblock in our plans concerning the date of the hunt. I'm sure whatever date we go with will abviously not work for everyone, so lets all post a date ranging from the 2nd week in September to the first week in Oct.

Please select a date that will work for you.
We will make a decision by August 1st and post it here.

1. Saturday September 11th
2. Saturday September 18th
3. Saturday September 25th
4. Saturday October 2nd

I forsee a conflict of some type for all of these dates, early september is warm for the dogs and the hunters, Opening bow hunting, waterfowl opener etc... but we will just pick the date that works best for the majority.

Let the voting begin.

BDR

I vote Oct. 2.

The 11th and 25th are LETS dates

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait

mistermom

Oct 2nd.

mm

Wild Willie

Don't really care...but I believe later would be easier on hunters and dogs due to warm weather and vegitation over growth. However...the cold beverages will go down easier earlier in the season as we hack our way through the tall grass and underbrush. We could just simply strap 8 foot whips with color coded locator flags onto the backs of our dogs so we can find them a little easier. Just kidding guys...any date you choose will be just fine for me and Buddy! I will probably have him out several times before then anyway for conditioning and to pick-up where we left off last season!

Mayfly

I'm in for whatever day is picked......

Willie: Let me know when I can start going up there to work with Luci. Thanks.

ATM

I can do oct 2. as well.

spinach

I also like Oct 2nd because of the possible cooler weather.

Lets hear from the rest of you all......

Mayfly and Bdr, me and Wild Willie will probably start heading up there around Sept 1st to get the dogs back in shape. I'm sure both of you know where to get my cell phone # give me a call soon. Both you guys are welcome to join us.

[This message has been edited by spinach (edited 07-22-2004).]

mistermom

Hey Spinach!
Daisy and I would love to get in on September hunting too if possible. Let me know sir! Thanks!

mm

Mayfly

setterguy

The later the better. Oct. 2nd gets my vote.

spinach

It looks like Oct. 2nd is the day. I will change the 1st post to this date.

Mistermom, bdr, mayfly, and anyone else give me a call towards the end of August so we can start getting the dogs back in shape up at the farm. 651-775-7670 (Pat)

Wild Willie

I will call Rick and make sure our group gets booked for October 2nd. I will let him know we are planning on having enough hunters to secure the farm for the day. We can always scale back to only half the farm if we fall short of our 20 hunter /100 bird goal. I'm sure he will be flexible as long as we call and confirm the final hunter/bird count three to four weeks before the scheduled event.

Benny

As of today I am almost 100% sure that opener of duck season will be the 25th.
So I see no problem with being able to make it on the 2nd of October.

I just got the pup back yesterday from Elk River Kennels, she is still dropping the birds before she gets to me though.

The trainer said it will take lots of repatiotion and a season of hunting to get her to realize it is fun not a chore.
She has an exelent nose for birds so she should do fine in flushing them up.

Can't wait to see her work those birds, and to see her with her first true downed duck retrive in the wild.

I will be there for sure.

Benny

Wild Willie

Was up at the farm this weekend with Spinach just to take a look around. Wow...the under growth is really thick. The L-field was walkable and okay for training. But every where else is extremely overgrown. Rick has the FM group booked for Oct 2nd. Everything is good to go...all we need is for more folks to sign-up. Last I checked we were at 12 hunters/41 birds. Our goal is 20 hunters/100 birds. I'm confident we will reach our goal.

superfish2

Unforunatly I don't think I can make it that weekend. Too bad cause I had a ton of fun at the last one.