• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

April Pheasant Hunt/Bar-B-Que

Wild Willie

Myself + 1 guest.

Luci my 6 mo. old pup will also be present.

7 Roosters.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wild Willie

• spinach

• BDR

• Mayfly

Top Posters In This Topic

We really appreciate everyone re-posting their totals. This really helps us in trying to make this the best day possible. We're just trying to eliminate any snags now, rather than face them all on the 18th. So far we've covered safety, lunch, grouping of hunting parties. For those of you that have committed to sending a check Thankyou and for the rest of you please consider trying to get a check mailed out by the end of the week or so. If you just don't feel comfortable or have another reason we very much understand. This pre-pay system just helps us all out in the end. Thanks again to everyone from Wild Willie and myself. smile.gifsmile.gif If you have any questions please post or e-mail Spinach (Pat) turnquist927 at msn dot com or feel free to call my cell 651-775-7670

Okay guys I hate to micro-manage the heck out of stuff so I will try to keep this short and sweet.

I seriously do not believe Rick is going to give us 100% roosters. I have helped him plant birds in the past and he has a pre-established hen-to-rooster ratio. I will let him know that we would like to have the ratio adjusted slightly so we get more roosters than hens. I know roosters are bigger, prettier and better table fare but planted hens typically hold better than roosters.

I have reviewed all prior post and here is the update on how we are doing as a group to meet our goals:

Mayfly, 1 guest, flusher, 7 birds
Ice Banger, 1 guest, 4 birds
Diezel 350, 5 birds
Jeffyo45, 4 guests, 2 flushers, 15 birds
MisterMom, pointer pup, 4 birds
Setterguy, 2 pointers, 2 pheas-2 chuk
Dancing Bear, 1 guest, 4 birds
Superfish 2, flusher, 4 birds
BDR, pointer, 4 birds
Spinach, pointer, 5 birds
Jeremy, 4 birds
Willet, 4 birds
Wild Willie, Son Luke, pointer pup, 6 birds
Chris, 2 guests, flusher, 12 birds
Brian T., 2 pointers, 4 birds

I have set a four bird per person minimum due to the fact we are barely going to reach the minimum number of birds required. Here are the totals: hunter count stands at 25, dog count stands at 5 flushers & 8 pointers, bird count stands at 84 pheasants & 2 chukars.

Let's try and round-up a couple more to join the fun and let me know if I have missed anything. If you are bringing a pooch and it is not listed above it would be great if you would let us know what model it will be, flusher or pointer. I like how things are shaping up. Looks like we will be able to keep the flushers and pointing groups separated. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing...just makes sense to me!

Wild Willie- Rooster, Hen makes no difference to my pooch! grin.gif

I wish I could get him to distinquish between the two but then I guess I would get as much of that high from the bird flushing in my face.

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

Jeffy - I'm confident we will be able to accomodate your request. Not everyone who goes out for the morning session will venure out for the afternoon session. We may need to add a single to your group depending on how crowded the afternoon session gets. Don't worry about food and drinks! Sounds like Spinach has that covered. Hope this helps you out.

Wow, lots of replies.
I havn't looked at this post for a couple of days.
I'm still in and so is my dog (lab). I'm pretty sure I said 5 phesants in an earlier post and I'll stick to that.

Jeffyo45 you made a good point about grouping of the flushers and pointers.

I will try to drum up some interest, I think I could get at least one more guy to attend, I will post when I get a conformation.

Hey Spinach do you teach orginizational classes somewhere on the weekends? I could sure use some of your abilities for running my business. Good work with this whole set up. I know its a lot of work and just wanted to say thanks for all you and the others have done to get this ball rolling.

Roosters or hens is fine with me I just thought I'd see if we could get all roosters. I was figuring the game farm was coming to the end of the season and could maybe make an exception to put out more roosters. Whatever the owner wants to do is fine with me. Most games farms charge more to do all roosters so either or is fine. I do love to see those long tail feathers though.

I'm still in and I will take 4 pheasants and 2 chuckers if they have them. Do we need to pre pay or can we pay we when we get there? Where do I send the check if pre-paying?

Superfish.......Check page 4 for an address.

Make it 8 birds for me.....

I'll get a chaeck in the mail for half today. Roosters or Hens...I'm pretty sure they both do the same thing.

Sorry to do this to you guys but my group would now like to come in the morning. We will leave after lunch then and not hunt in the afternoon. Hopefully this does not cause major problems. We are still in for 15 pheasants.

Jeffy - Not a problem. This event is going to be both very informal and flexible. Spinach and I will be working on assigning/placing individuals into five separate groups. Each group will consist of 5 to 6 hunters. Each group will then be assigned to a area of the farm for the morning session. We will post your group number sometime the next several days. That way we can make sure the proper number of birds are planted in the correct corresponding area in accordance with pre-pay and on-site bird planting orders. We will also then be able to keep track of your groups success rate. Looks like your group is already set for the morning session. It only makes good sense to keep those with guest together in the same group. Looks like we will be abe to accomplish that goal. It also looks like we are going to be able to keep flushing and pointing dogs separated from one another. Things are starting to shape up and I want to thank everyone for their patience and cooperation as this whole thing pans-out.

Just got to thinking about the guys with pups that would like to have a designated training area. I would suggest if this is your dogs first time or so on live birds and you just do not know what to expect, we could put colored ribbon where the bird is planted that way you could sort of steer your dog to the right area and get the excitement flowing. In this scenario I would also suggest chukar or hens as they will hold tighter and longer. If you fall into this category please let us know. These birds will also be planted just minutes before your hunt compared to the other planted birds will be more of a wild hunt. I'm also A little concerned about gunfire with some of these pups, So Setterguy could you possibly take over this area so we can make sure these pups are ready.

I would like to learn how to post pictures, so i'm going to go back and search the files and take a crash course to learn. In the meantime is there anyone that would possibly post a pic of my dogs with some pheasants? I could e-mail the pic to you. Mayfly your pup looks just like my dog and I thought you'd like to see a pic.

Spinach- You can send them to me and I'll post. Send with message if you like and I will paste that also.

[email protected]

------------------

Brian Rogers

Just got off the phone with the Rick the game farm owner. He said he is going to plant 100% roosters. No big deal because typically this time of year hatcheries supplying shooting preserves and game farms want to hold onto their hens for eggs. He did mention however that some of the roosters will have broken off/shorter tails due to all the sparing that goes on this time of year.

He did say that each hunter in each group should pay special attention to areas that provide the heaviest cover. Also, be aware that the birds will probably be up and running because it's real close to mating season and the lack of vegitation. The stealthier your group is the better chance you will have in terms of a close flush or hard point. Just a heads-up!

Here's a pic from Spinach.

The pic is me (spinach) and my dogs Jack and Macey. This was taken at Glendorado shooting Preserve this past winter.

47b4da29b3127ccebc136d1620ec0000001610

------------------

Brian Rogers

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 04-08-2004).]

I'll take that weather any time in Nov. or Dec. when I'm going huntin. No reason it would keep me away in April. grin.gif

------------------

Brian Rogers

Daisy the GSP and I spent many hours trekking WMA's out by Brooten this past weekend. She did manage to accidently kick up a couple of birds. She also did some nice pointing on robins. Best of all she worked fairly close and came back when called pretty decent. She also didn't react to gunfire. I had a semi-auto 22 pistol with and I was popping off shots into the ground and she didn't care. So thats good!

Fired up for Sunday! BDR what is your gameplan?

mm

MM - I have the whole day open, so I was planning to go with the flow see what the groupings will be. I would be happy to hook up wiyh you out there and get that Daisy on some birds.

------------------

Brian Rogers

Okay guys here she goes...I have done my best to organize the groups according to numers of hunters, style of dog and number of birds. Lets have some feedback regarding the following:

Group #1 (Flusher Dogs)
1 - Jeffyo45 - 3 Pheasants - 2 Dogs
2 - Guest - 3 Pheasants
3 - Guest - 3 Pheasants
4 - Guest - 3 Pheasants
5 - Guest - 3 Pheasants
(5 Hunters, 15 Birds, 2 Dogs)

Group #2 (Flusher Dogs)
1 - Diesel 350 - 5 Pheasants - 1 Dog
2 - Ice Banger - 2 Pheasants
3 - IB Guest - 2 Pheasants
4 - SuperFish 2 - 5 Pheasants - 2 Chukar - 1 Dog
(4 Hunters, 16 Birds, 2 Dogs)

Group #3 (Pointer Dogs)
1 - Spinach - 5 Pheasants - 1 Dog
2 - Jeremy - 4 Pheasants
3 - Willet - 4 Pheasants
4 - BDR - 4 Pheasants - 1 Dog
5 - MisterMom - 4 Pheasants - 1 Dog
6 - Mayfly - 8 Pheasants - 1 Dog
(6 Hunters, 29 Birds, 4 Dogs)

Group #4 (Flusher Dogs)
1 - Chris - 4 Pheasants - 1 Dog
2 - Guest - 4 Pheasants
3 - Guest - 4 Pheasants
4 - Dancing Bear - 2 Pheasants - 1 Dog
5 - Guest - 2 Pheasants
(5 Hunters, 16 Birds, 2 Dogs)

Group #5 (Pointer Dogs)
1 - Setterguy - 2 Pheasants - 2 Chukar - 2 Dogs
2 - Wild Willie - 3 Pheasants - 1 Dog
3 - Luke - 3 Pheasants
4 - Tom Hoffman - 4 Pheasants
5 - Guest - 4 Pheasants
6 - Guest - 4 Pheasants
(6 Hunters, 20 Birds, 3 Dogs)

Setterguy, I'm only guessing that you are bringing two dogs. I'm unsure if you plan on working them both at the same time, please advise regarding your plans.

I am confident that Rick will do his dead level best to place each group in a field that will match up with group size and dog type.

Please let me know if I have missed anyone, anyone's guest or if I have miscalculated the number of dogs or birds ordered.

A friend of mine will be there with his two Britt's to come to the aid of anyone who needs the extra nose support. I'm also pretty positive that there will be additional dog talent available in the bullpen to call on for additional support/relief if some of the starters encounter a rocky first couple of innings!

I will be bringing two dogs, mainly for the training and demonstrations. If I bring one out at all it would for sure only be one in the field at a time. I don't usually hunt pheasants with my younger dog, a good way to teach a grouse dog bad habits.

Setterguy - makes good sense to me. I will have to keep my pup on the check cord for most of the morning session. He has come a long way the past couple of months but there is still quite a lot of work left to do. He has got a great nose, holds a good hard point, can mark a bird with pinpoint lazer accuracy and is eager to retrieve. The only major problem is his tendency to get real birdy, mark a flushed bird and proceed to hunt only for himself. I know this is a problem. I have every intention to correct it and he will come to understand that those sorts of episodes are unacceptable...all in due time, all in due time. Maybe you can give me some help. He is still a pup and I don't expect him to be perfect and I refuse to beat him into submission with voltage and such! Just trying to keep it fun by applying a little more pressure each and everytime we go out. This event is not the time and place for me to let him run. He will be on the cord and in control because it just would not be fair to the rest of my group members or their dogs. We can have my friend, Brian (not a shooter) bring his two Britt's out with us if we decide we need the help!

WW, groups look good but add 1 more Lab to group #4. Does anyone have a portable canopy they could bring to the hunt for grilling under etc... in case it rains? I'm hoping for a good turnout, haven't heard from a couple of you lately.(Dancing bear, Superfish, Icebanger)??????? Spinach.......

[This message has been edited by spinach (edited 04-13-2004).]

Spinach - I believe Chris said one of his guest was bringing an American Water Spaniel. I was also kick'n around the idea of seeing how many guys would be interested in a 7:30 am prehunt breakfast feast at the Perkins or some place like that in Elk River or Princeton? Of course that would mean a earlier departure time from Woodbury but it would give some of us a chance to meet and brag about how great our dogs are over a good cup of hot joe. That might not be a bad idea considering the weather forecast. Lets hear some chatter!

I looked at the groupings and I think you may want to move me. My dog seems to be more of a flusher than a pointer when it comes to birds......I've seen her lock a pretty hard point on the cat but thats about it.

My guest has sold out on me....I will be coming solo. That means my bird count goes down to 4. I'm trying to find someone else. We'll see what happens. I'm also still bringing potato salad for the BBQ.

What time are we supposed to arrive?

Wild Willie- I would be willing to cover Mayfly's guest birds to keep the total up. I will just pay the difference for 4 more Pheasants on Sunday.

What's needed for the BBQ?

------------------

Brian Rogers

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 04-14-2004).]