• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

April Pheasant Hunt/Bar-B-Que

Wild Willie

I will bring some venison brats unless someone has some objection to that. Along with buns and condiments. I would advise everyone to bring their own plates and utensils as well. I have a small portable grill that I will bring with.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wild Willie

• spinach

• BDR

• Mayfly

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be a bit more easy if someone brings a bag of paper plates and a bag of plastic ware. (that way he/she gets out of hauling some food) Any one else with small grills dust em off and bring them. might get a bit tough trying to feed 30+ on 2 grills.

I will be bringing some farm raised Elk, steaks and some burger. Might even bring down a few Buffalo Steaks.

Dogs, Birds, food, and good company, can life get any better for the month of April?

Ruffy grouse, The grill I'm bringing is nicer and bigger than some of the vehicles on the road, grin.gif it even has a sink and a cooler in it. grin.gif you are right though another grill or two would help out. Rick the owner also has a couple grills available for us. The menu so far reminds me of the pheasant forever banquet I attend every year. Pheasant, elk, buffalo, venison....who has moose and alligator? I actually tried alligator a couple years ago and absolutely loved it. Still looking for a volunteer for paper and plastic items. Spinach.....

I'll bring the paper plates, utensils, paper towels, cups and maybe a desert of some sort if my lovely wife will make something for us!

mm

Man - wish I could join you guys, but I'm on call for work and can't really leave town that weekend. frown.gif Shoot up a couple for me too guys...maybe next time.

~Blaze

Superfish2, come join us. Will it just be yourself? If you want invite a friend, just let me know how many in your party and if you will be bringing a dog. So far we are asking for volunteers to bring lunch, so if you could bring something that would be great, just go back and read the posts to see what we have so far. Thanks Spinach...

My brother Jeremy and I will be bring 30 Hamburger patties and buns also. So what else does everyone think we need to bring? Are we missing anything important?

Ok count me in. So far it will be just me and the dog (three year old lab). I'll scroll through the pages and find out what we are missing and bring something.

Hey I'm in sounds like a good time! Thanks for putting this together. I can bring something if anyone has some suggestions.

How many different fields are available. I don't think it's a real safe thing to throw 20 guy's who have never hunted together into a field at once. I have no doubt this has been givin some thoughts. Maybe a little discussion on how the actual hunting will be handled to keep it safe.

------------------
See ya on the water!

Brian Rogers

I'm not quite sure of the exact acre count but I believe it is close to 300 acres. The farm is subdivided very clearly by roads, tree lines, ponds and different kinds fields and cover. I believe there are about six clearly defined areas: about 20 acres of corn rows to the east/southeast; about 30 acres of corn, thicket and grass field east/northeast corner; 20 acres of tall grass, thickets in the middle of the farm by the catch pens and the orchard; 50 acres of a L-shaped tall grass field surrounded by timber on three sides; 40 acres of mixed grass, corn rows, tall grass and thickets on the northwest corner; 20 acres of woods and thickets from the southwest corner back to the middle.

Each area would be large enough to accommodate a group of 5-to-6 hunters and their dogs. The birds will be planted 30 minutes to 1 hour before the morning hunt begins at 9:00 am. Each group will be given specific instruction regarding the boundaries of their assigned area.

I believe the morning hunt will conclude at 12:00 pm and lunch will be served. More birds will be planted for the afternoon hunt while participants eat lunch, socialize or participate in a informal dog training question, answer and demonstration session. The afternoon session will start around 2:00 pm. All remaining hunters will regroup and be reassigned to a different area than where they were placed for the morning hunt.

The afternoon session will end at approximately 5:00 pm. We will end the day by finishing any lunch left-overs and cold beverages and to discuss our favorite stories of the best point, flush, retrieve and shot.

With all that being said, the number one priority is HUNTER AND DOG SAFETY! This is not a competition. I repeat not a competition. This is not a field trial. I repeat not a field trial. This is not a drunken fraternity bash. I repeat not a drunken fraternity bash. This is however a time for great fun and fellowship.

Everyone will be required to wear at least one hunter orange garment. Folks will need to use their common sense regarding the amount of alcoholic beverage they consume at the lunch break.

Each group will need to make sure all group members understand how the group is going to be formed and its approach regarding covering its assigned territory and to be aware of everyones position at all times.

I believe that everyone will use their past field experience and common sense to display true sportsman like qualities in and out of the field, making this event a safe and rewarding one to talk about for a long time! Sorry this reply is so long but I thought the nature of this topic needed a lot of detailed coverage.

Wildwillie- Thats what I needed to hear. Sounds like this will be a great time to meet some people and a chance to learn some tips. 5-6 to a group seems very do-able as the safety goes.

Me and my GSP(Charlie) will be there!

Wild- Can you e-mail me your e-mai addy I'd like to run something by you. [email protected]

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 04-02-2004).]

This is a little off subject but I wanted to extend this invitation to anyone attending the hunt on the 18th. I have the opportunity to get most if not all dog training devices (collars, dummies, launchers ect.) at dealer cost. If there is anything that you have had your eye on for a while this may be a good chance to save a few bucks. I don't make any money off the sale of the stuff, you would pay just what I do. If you have a question about a product just check out the website of the product and shoot me an email, I can tell you what my cost would be and try to answer any questions for you. Please don't be shy, my buddy is a salesmen for the company so every product we get out helps his commision numbers.

[email protected]

with regret, I will not be able to attend this outting. Another matter came up and as much as I tried to change the date, I was unable to.

Thank God, Britt (English Setter) cant read or I may be missing a chuck of my A**

Any how, "S" and "WW" sounds like you will have a good showing, so I wont have to worry about backing out.

Every one attending, enjoy the day, and put in a post regarding the good food, company, and the dogs working the birds.

TC

Ruffy - sorry to hear of the scheduling conflict. Our group will bow our heads in a moment of slience for you and Britt on that fine day before the hunt begins. You will be missed.

Here's something I have been kicking around in my head the past couple of days. Would any of those who have made committments to attend be willing to prepay. This would help me and the game farm owner be better prepared for Sunday April the 18th. Lets say we have met our preliminary goal of 20 hunters. But in the course of the next 12 days we lose five guys due to scheduling conflicts and emergencies. That would mean collectively our group would not have enough to meet the minimum requirements to secure the farm for the day. That sort of financial burden would not be fair to those who show or to the farm owner. So I'm proposing that those who are serious about attending send a check made out to Glendorado Shooting Preserve for the numbers of birds they want planted to, Bill Schrader, 2739 Bexley Drive, Woodbury, MN 55125. If our group drops short in numbers I can notify Rick the farm owner to only set aside half the farm for us so he would not loose any business. And to avoid making up the cost of those who do not show. Please do not take this as an insult. I trust all those who have confirmed will show. I am only trying to be proactive and protect our group and the game farm owner from any last minute controversies. Any thoughts?

That sounds fine with me. How much are the costs again? I know that they are listed somewhere back in this thread; but I'm to lazy to go back and find it. Thanks! I'll send a check!

mm

Does the game farm take credit cards? It's not going to affect whether we are coming or not I just want to know. I will not be able to send payment before hand but give my word that myself and guests will be attending.

Icebanger, are you out there? Just checking on your status for you and your guest. We added Bdr and superfish to the list to bring our total to 23+ hunters, but we lost ruffygrouse recently. This is definitely enough to make our minimum but I would feel better if we had another half dozen hunters or so. It is not too late to invite others if possible so lets all try and get a few more. Spinach...

Jeffy - I believe they subscribe to the old theory that “Cash-Is-King”. Your word is good enough for me. Just let either me or Spinach know how many birds you want.

Oh, almost forgot to thank Spinach and everyone else for coordinating the lunch menu. All looks and sounds great too me. You guys are doing a great job! I look forward to putting some names and faces together at the hunt.

As it stands, I will be there with my 6 mo. pup. I will also be bringing a buddy. I will also be bringing Potato Salad for the lunch. I will mail you a check tomorrow for 6-8 birds.....not sure yet.

Mayfly + 1 + Dog + Potato Salad = April 18th

I am wondering how the bird distribution is going to take place? If one guy has purchased 6 birds and is hunting with another guy that has purchased 2, there could be some conflicts. I know that some are specifically coming to do a little training with younger dogs, and I can forsee a situation where someone pays for birds in advance and then thier dog doesn't even get contact. Maybe I'm just not invisioning the setup correctly. Anyway, just thought that we should clear this up so there aren't any misunderstandings when we get to the field. I will be there with a rock and roll mother daughter combo. Should be a great day!!! I will be in for a couple of each bird. 2 pheasant, 2 chuckar.

Setterguy - You bring up some very good points (no pun intended.) It has been my experience that, generally speaking, most upland bird hunters are the most gracious, patient and gentlemen-like of all sportsmen taking to the field. Most have invested a great deal of time and effort in their dogs and enjoy watching the pooch work the field more than actually pulling the trigger only to fill the pouches of their vest with birds.

That being said I think our number one priority is to pair the groups going out, both in the morning and afternoon, as closely as we can in terms of the numbers of birds purchased by each group member and by the skill level of their dog.

Once a group member downs the number of birds he or she has purchased their role will automatically become that of back-up shooter. They could even volunteer to kennel or put their dog on a check cord while other group members continue to try and fill their individual quota and give their pups or young dogs some quality individual time. This approach would ensure the group as a whole will bag 100% of their planted birds and that all group members will get a fair shot to find and fill their individual quotas.

Lets face the facts. I know for a fact that my pup is going to miss some birds. I get just as big a kick out of watching him honor than to hard point a single bird. It's even a greater site to see three pooches back-to-back-to-back. I also enjoy watching other dogs work so I can assess the strengths and weakness me and my dog possess. It's a learning thing I guess! I also know for a fact that I am going to miss some shots and I will be glad that one of my team members was there to back me up!

Hopefully everyone attending will adopt a team attitude and understand that there are going to be a lot of birds to be found and taken! Everyone will get their chance and hopefully all will leave the event feeling like they got more than they paid for! Just my thoughts! Does any of this rambling make any sense?

Willie, that was exactly the way that I had hoped things would be set up, you know what they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Ecspecially with everyone being new to one another I thought it would be good to have some idea on how things would be set up. I can't wait for the 18th.

Willie- I will get a check in the mail by fri. The way you described the hunting and planting should make it fair for all. This will be a great time.

------------------

Brian Rogers

I don't want to be too bossy here so tell me to take a flying leap if need be but I was wondering if it would be possible to reserve on of the fields with the 15 pheasants I am requesting for the afternoon hunt. It will be me and 4 guests now and we can't make the morning hunt so that is the main reason I ask. I realize I wasn't one of the original people signed up for the clinic so if you aren't ok with this let me know and we will go to a different game farm. If this is ok with everyone should we still bring the venison brats since we won't be there for lunch or should I just bring some beverages for after (beer and/or pop). Let me know soon please. And thanks to you Spinach and Wild Willie for doing the leg work on this even if it doesn't work out for us to attend.

Could everyone responsible for their group possibly give me a current head count along with the number of birds you would like. As I see it so far we have over 20 hunters but possibly not enough birds. I would like to know exactly how many shooters in your party and any other guests who will not be shooting. If at all possible we are trying to stay away from a minimum per person shooting. I'll start it off by ordering 5 roosters for myself. Jeremy will take 4 and Willet 4. Chris's group of 3 shooters will take 12. Thanks again.

I will take 4 pheasants and I will send you a check out tomorrow. I don't even know if my dog could tell a pheasant from a fence post; but I'm hopeful!

mm

I have 4 (3 1/2) shooters at this point. I may have one more and that is why I now would like to request 15 pheasants (all roosters if possible). I also will have 2 dogs both flushers. If it is only 4 of us I would be fine having you pair someone up with us. Preferably someone who has a flusher as I would imagine people with pointers and setters don't want our dogs busting their dog's points. Let me know if you need more info.

I will have myself and 4 Roosters. And I will have one GSP "charlie".

------------------

Brian Rogers

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 04-07-2004).]