• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

April Pheasant Hunt/Bar-B-Que

Wild Willie

Due to the cancellation of last weeks clinic I thought it might be a good idea if some of us could get together for a April hunt at a game farm located in Princeton. Spinach, my next door neighbor, has posted this same invitation on the Upper Red Lake Forum as well. We have access to a game farm for pheasant hunting in Princeton Mn. We only need to purchase 100 birds to secure exclusive rights to the farm for an entire day hunt. I figure as soon as the ice is gone we have a couple of weeks to do nothing but wait for open water. Let me know if you are interested by posting here and how many birds you would like. Pheasants are $12.00 cock or hen, and chukar are $8.00. We could all throw in a few couple bucks for a big barbecue lunch at the farm, barbecue grills will be available for use and everyone could bring a side dish and their own beverages. Maybe we could grill-up some pheasant, if we're lucky. Please let me know how many people/dogs and how many birds you would like. We have Saturday, April 17 penciled in with the game farm owner. But we will need to confirm the event and the event day with him the next couple of days. Everyone is welcome including spouses, friends and your dogs. We would like to have 20 folks jump on board. The schedule could be as easy as a 4 hour morning hunt, one hour lunch and socializing, and a 4 hour evening hunt. This game farm is very informal and I believe all will feel welcomed and have a great time!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wild Willie

• spinach

• BDR

• Mayfly

Top Posters In This Topic

$12, not bad for a game farm.
Sounds like fun and a great first opportunity for my young dog to get her first look at some live birds.
Wish I could do it, but I work on Saturdays.

Princeton Mn. central Minnesota on hwy 169 and hwy 95. 1 hr 15 minutes north of the cities or 40 minutes south of Mille lacs. Hey mayfly how many birds would you like? We are up to around 10 hunters so far, at this rate we might have to book Sunday the 18th also. Keep the confirmations coming in Thanks..... Spinach

i left a message on red lake forem but it might be gone if they find it dosent fit so i came here....count me in for 2 and counting...illl send a post on more people....ice banger out

I posted over on the URL forum but I would like to make it out to meet all of you and get the dog some bird time.

I am pretty sure I can make it. I also posted on the URL forum. At this point I will take a minimum of 6 birds with maybe more depending on how many other people come with me.

Here's an upadated list of those who are planning on attending (I have tried to compile this list from both this forum and the URL forum): Spinach & pointer dog Macey, Jeremy, Willet, Wild Willie and pointer dog Buddy, Luke, Chris and flushing dog Morgan, Mayfly, Irvingdog and guest, Jeffyo45, Diezel 350, Ice Banger and Mayfly. Looks like we have 13 hunters, on board so far and most have dogs. Our goal is to get at least 20 hunters. That would make it a five bird per hunter minimum. The more the merrier. The record for most birds ever released on the farm in one day is 150. Wow, bet that was fun! Hey Labs where in the heck are you...we would love to hear from you. Bet you could round up a couple more shooters. I need to confirm the date with the farm owner by this Friday. We will give detail direction to the farm after we know we have enough to meet the minimum. The farm is just that. Nothing fancy. A lot like a wild hunt. Some standing corn rows left, some tall grass fields, mixture of heavy cover, some wetland and some timber. Let me or Spinach know if we have missed anybody.

I don't see any names s from the guys who were going to go to the clinic on the 21st......I would imagine they would want to go...BDR Setterguy and so on. I think this should be a good time. I have the day off and I think my Brother is coming.

For the record it will be me + one other person and my dog Luci. Do we each purchase a certain amount of birds or are we just going to figure 100 birds and split the cost???

100 birds at 12 bucks a peice = 1200.00
20 guys thats 60 bucks each.

Let me (us) know

Thanks, see you there

Count me in. April 17th will work.

I had a 4-wheeler trip planned in Wis. The key word being Had.

Mark with English Setter "Brittney"

Mayfly, this is where it is going to get some what difficult. We just had the same discussion this evening and came up with the same calculations as you, If and when we have 20 people that would make it $60 per person, but then we figure some guys might want more or less than others do. So we figured our first goal is to lock up 20 hunters and then go from there with a bird count. In the long run we can probably have more people if needed as some might not want to hunt all day, freeing up space for others to hunt half a day or so. This is why we need confirmations right away so we can continue to plan this out. I really do not think there will be any problems. If you or anyone else have any suggestions please help us out. On the brighter side of things it looks like we're getting close to 20 hunters. grin.gifgrin.gif

[This message has been edited by spinach (edited 03-25-2004).]

Daisy and I will be there. She is a GSP puppy. I need to get her exposed to some gunfire before this, however. I wouldn't want this to be her first shooting experience. She will be almost 6 months by April 17th.

mm

Here's an upadated list: Spinach, Jeremy, Willet, Wild Willie, Luke, Chris, Mayfly and guest, Irvingdog and guest, Jeffyo45 and guest, Diezel350, Ice Banger, Mayfly and guest, Mistermom, and RuffyGrouse. The count has increased to 18 hunters on board, just two more and we will reach our goal of 20 participants.

We need to give some thought regarding how to compose the groups that will be hunting together. Most guys are bringing their dogs. Some guys will have pointers and some will bring flushers. Some will bring pups with no field experience and some will have moderate experience, while others will be very strong performers.

It would be great if someone like Setterguy, an experience trainer, could get involved. Our first thoughts were that this could just be a fun informal all day get-together. I think it would be great for those of us with pups to get some good training input regarding handling our younger dogs. I know Setterguy has just experienced some medical difficulties and will probably not be able to make the event. But it would be an honor if someone of his caliber could help someone like me with a few “pointers”. We could designate a portion of the farm for training. Anxious to hear your thoughts!

Just a reminder that 20 hunters was our preliminary minimum goal. The farm can accomodate 40 hunters comfortably and we can run shifts if more than that want to attend.

The location for this event will be held at Glendorado shooting preserve 19181 state hwy. 95 Princeton mn. Directions are pretty easy from the cities go north on 169 to hwy 95 head west 8.2 miles the farm is on your right, it will be the last farm on the right side before cty rd. 9. If anyone has any questions feel free to email me at [email protected] or give me a call at 651-775-7670 (Pat) aka Spinach.

Willlie - Thanks for picking up my slack here on the get together. I feel terrible about having to cancel the clinic, I just don't know if anyone would have been able to understand what I was saying, if I could have found the field at all wink.gif!! I do have to judge a trial on the 17th but it is located at the grounds that we were going to train on innitially. So Priceton is right on the way. I could definetly commit to attending at least in the morning as my judging commitments aren't until at least 1-2pm. Let me know what I can do or bring. Sounds like a good time. I don't think that I would do any shooting, but would love to meet you guys and answer any questions that some of you may have. So put me down, but don't necessarily take up a spot for me unless we need to fill one, then I could shoot too. I am willing to be flexible here, as you were all with me last week.

Willie, is this outing at the Rum River Pheasent Club? I may be able to make it, probably 1-2 p.m. depends on the scheduling at work. I haven't had time to get my llewellin out in a while so this would be good for both of us.

scotty

Hey guys just discovered a little scheduling problem with the event. The outing has had to be rescheduled from Saturday, April 17th to Sunday, April 18th. This will ensure we have the run of the farm for the entire day. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I know this means that some of you will not be able to attend. Sundays are traditionally reserved for church and quality family time and I would understand completely if some of you have prior committments and will have to drop-out. Just simply post a reply stating yes I'm in or no I'm out regarding your status. Rick the owner of the farm also apologizes for the mix-up.

Setterguy - glad to hear you are feeling better. If you are able to make it on Sunday that would be great for everyone. If not I can arrange for Rick the farm owner to have a few local trainers that he knows well, respects and trust to attend to help answer questions and provide suggestions and tips to those of us with pups and training questions. We can reserve a small portion of the farm for training. Chukars will be available for planting and it would be up to you to decide what would be the best visual aids and training props to bring.

Oh, Rick the farm owner says...bring a lot of shells! Again, sorry for the little glitch and I hope everyone can still make the hunt!

Me and Luci will still be there......My guest won't be able to make it though.

I'm Still in, the dog too.
If I didn't let you know before put me down for 5 birds.
Any alternate dates if we get rained out? or is it rain or shine?

Thanks guys for the re-confirmations. I'm happy to see we haven't lost anyone yet. I even pickep up 2 more buddies along the way. All I can say about the weather is a little rain won't hurt us but if it happens to get nasty or unsafe then "yes" I guess we could always reschedule, but lets all cross our fingers and hope for some beautiful weather. grin.gif I will update the list soon,just waiting for a few more that have allready confirmed to reply soon. It seems if we do not lose anyone and with a few more new additions we have made recently we are probably around 30 hunters. Spinach...

I am still in as are my 2 guests. My 13 yr. old brother in-law is coming too but will still take just 12 birds. My lab is in too.

I will be there on the 18th, for the hunt and any kind of training that guys would like to do. I will be bringing my remote bird launchers so those will be at everyones disposal. Have we figured out what we are doing for lunch, is it going to be pot luck? What should I bring? Let me know the details and anything else I can do to help.

we now have 21 hunters confirmed. Spinach +2, jeremy, Willet, Wild Willie, Luke, Chris, Mayfly, Icebanger +1, Diezel, Jeffy045 +2, Ruffy grouse, mistermom, Brian, dancing bear +1, Setterguy. I hope I haven't missed anyone. Labs, Scotty18, Walleye wisher and Donnie Q are you guys in? Now is the time for volunteers for lunch I will be bringing a gas grill, brats, buns and some beverages. We need 1 more grill, burgers, buns, paper plates, condiments, maybe a few deserts, chips, more beverages and anything else I may have left out. Please post what you can bring so we don't double up on anything. Ruffy grouse volunteered to brink some Elk meat, Setterguy will have a couple of bird launchers to share and I will bring an extra 30 ft checkcord and 2 starter guns. For those of us bringing dogs don't forget lots of water/food. Don't forget to wear blaze orange guys grin.gif Any other suggestions lets hear them. Spinach...(Pat) [email protected] or 651-775-7670

Put me down for Potato Salad.

I also may be bringing a guess but that will be a weekend decision. He said he wants to go but I don't trust it until I see it.

Put me down for a couple cases of soda, one case of diet and a case of regular sound good?