• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Recommendations for 20 gauge Grouse gun

I'm in the market for a new gun, any suggestions? I currently shoot a single shot .410 for most of my grouse hunting trips, but sometimes the 12 gauage comes out to play.

I would really like to have a 20 gauge, any recommendations or anybody have one to sell?

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 03-11-2004).]

I love that Beretta 3901 youth gun. It has the 391 autoloader action, is light and durable. Becasue it is a small frame 20g, it points beautifully. The gray synthetic ain't the prettiest thing, but what the heck. The gun also shims nicely to adjust the stock. All in all a great gun for around $500.00.

I grew up shooting grouse with my 410 in Grand Marais. I switched to a 12 semi-auto in junior high. I quit using the 12 because of the weight I like to walk. So I started using a Smith @ Wesson 20 semi-auto. Love it, my brother shoots a Ithaca 20 feather-light pump. But my friend just bought a Benelli 20 semi-auto. Then gun is sweet. If I was to get a new 20 that would be the gun. It is so light, easy to clean, etc. He also shoots a 28 gauge semi-auto, which would be another consederation for you.

Look at the Rem 870 pump. It pretty light and it's cheap. Around $200. I don't like to spend alot of money on guns I carry in the woods.
If you are a true grouse hunter you know how beat up a gun can get.
Good Luck

------------------
Hunt Snow Geese, Save the tundra

Hey Grabs - I shoot a 20 gauge Browning BPS upland field model. It has an English stock (straight stock, no pistol grip) and a 22 inch barrel. It is lighter than a feather and so easy to carry and bring up for a quick shot. I have used for at least 15 years now and I just love it. Also, Remington makes or did make an 1100 called the LT20 which is a pretty darn good gun for grouse hunting. That would be my 2nd choice.

HB

Grabs, I shoot a Franchi Veloce. It's a over/under imported by Benelli. I have 2, one in .20 and one in .28. They are lightweight, easy to carry and shoot. Not cheap though. I'm using the .20 for sportimg clays also. For some reason my scores go up with this gun.

Scotty

you arms won't tire when you walk through the woods with a benelli 20 ga Montefeltro grin.gif

Hey Grabs- if you're looking for used go find an old Mossberg bolt action...yes I said bolt. They're actually more common than you'd think. I know 4 people with them and in all we own 6 gun of different gauges.

I have my father's old 20GA that I've been using since I was 12. Last year I found a 16GA at a Flea Market, beautiful walnut stock, $80...I had to buy it.

They are really quite light, have a 2 round clip and 1 in the chamber. Best is, all but the 410 version have a vari-choke on the end of the barrel. Makes it a quick change for those days where the birds seem like they're jumping a bit to early.

my.02

• 2 weeks later...

I fell in love with a Browning BPS Upland the first time I picked it up. It is my grouse gun, but now my boys are using it and I'm relegated to a 20ga O/U. The Upland is the easiest to carry and quickest to swing.

I love double barrels. My father hunts with a browning o/u 20ga, and I dont think a browning o/u can be beat for a grouse gun. I hunt with an old no name side by side 20ga that has never failed me. But def. double barreled 20 gauges.

Beretta 391 or Benelli. Short barrel and take the plug out and you can load four shells. Nothing like a yellow rainbow of shells when a bird gets up.

I have a Bakial o/u 20,and i like it,and it was fairly inexpensive for a o/u. Somewhere around $375 if i remember right. Its not the prettyest thing but i like it.

We have remington single shot 28 gauge--they also make a automatic 28 gauge. But the gun of my dads choice is his benelli montrofeltro (sp) lightweight and durable.

I'm in the market for a 20 gauge grouse gun myself.

I was thinking about the Baikal O/U for awhile. There's quite a few guys at work that use them pheasant hunting in SD and they say it's a very good shotgun for the money.

There is something about the Browning BPS Upland Special that intrigues me though. I doubt I could ever get the second shot to come as fast as that with a O/U, but is it really that important?? I can't help but think it might hold it's value a little better too. However, I've heard that barrels as short as 24" on a pump increase muzzle blast. So, is that an issue with the BPS's 22"er??

The Winchester Model 1300 is supposed to be good as well. I see they have an Upland Special Field edition and it's got a 24" barrel. One guy I know really likes their fast, smooth pump action.

Anyone else care to comment??

Oh my..

Just put my hands on a Beretta Whitewing O/U for the first time and it shoulders very nice.

The 20 gauge with a 26" barrel is extremely light too which would be nice for carrying around all day.

Hmmmm...this is going to be a difficult decision.

I shoot a 12 ga benelli montefeltro. i bet the 20 ga is even lighter. Nice light with a 24 in barrel so getting around in the woods is a breeze. Shoot safe Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Franchi Churchill semi 24" barrel very similar to the M 90 you can't go wrong. One final note if you like to turkey hunt they also make a 12 guage which comes with a super full turkey choke very nice guns too bad that Benelli Berretta thing came about now i think they are a little more expensive