• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Turkeys!

SCCO9803

Is anyone getting excited for Spring gobblers? There isn't too muchtalk on this site yet.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Oh yeah it's getting to me.

Just found out that I will be able to make my annual trip to the Black Hills to chase those Merriams in addition to the Easterns here in MN.

Plus the gobblers are startiing to feel a little spring around here. They've been strutting and doing some gobbling this past week. grin.gif

Been practicing my calls (which drives my family crazy) and watching videos a lot lately. Did a little scouting over the weekend. As soon as it dries up a little, I'm headed to the range to start checking shotgun patterns. Only two months until I hunt... I better get busy! grin.gif

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)

Say Borch, I'm heading out there this spring also..(Black Hills) I could use some extra info though...Best areas, Lodging, weather, etc.. What week are you going?? Thanks Strat

Turkeys...did someone say t-t-t-Turkeys!?!?!?

I keep hitting people up for a time machine so I can skip 2 months and get May here, but ain't one of 'em whats got one!! I'm already babbling incoherently...er, more than usual..., remembering to check my equipment, leaf through the catalogs, read every durn story I can get my greedy paws on, nailing the kill zone on the pictures I put up at the bow range and yelpin' or cluckin' every other word or so! And the saddest thing of all? 71 DAYS to wait for my season!!

I'll be getting myself outta bed early on Sunday, just to see if I can't spy a few birds, maybe find a shed, and, hopefully, getting permission to access some private land come May. Maybe that'll get me out of the this turkey-psychosis!

(i hope not!)

Best of Luck, can't wait for the hair to stand up on the back of my neck when Mr. Gobbles cuts loose!!

Say Borch, I'm heading out there this spring also..(Black Hills) I could use some extra info though...Best areas, Lodging, weather, etc.. What week are you going?? Thanks Strat

There's lots of reasonable lodging based on where you want to hunt out of. As far as where to hunt? Lots of people hunt out of deadwood, sturgis area, Hill City, Custer, Hot Springs. It's all good. we usually hunt the Hill City, Custer, Deerfield areas. We are heading out there May 5-9. We usually headed out there around April 23-30 give or take but the last two springs were so late that the birds were really tough then. So we're going a little later this year.

There are literally thousands of acres to hunt over there. I have had my best luck running and gunning these birds. Using a boxcall, crow call or coyote howler as a locator and then get to a good setup and start calling. Hunting is good all day long. They cover a lot more ground than our easterns do here. Radio tracking studies have shown 10-14 miles is not unusual. So don't get too hung up on sign if you're not working birds. They may not be there anymore. But make a mental note and hit the spot again later.

Get yourself in shape. These birds love to go up and over the top of these mountains. Being part billygoat helps.

As far as the weather be prepared for anything. You might see blizzards and then 95 degree days within the same week. Our first two years out there we missed major blizzards by less than 3 days. The second year the temps were 80 - 95 degrees with snow still on the ground in many places. The wind is blowing all the time.

The country sure is beatiful. And there are lots of birds around. You just have to go and find them.

Borch

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 03-04-2004).]

Say, Thanks for the reply Borch, I apprecate the info..We are heading out April 13-18, hope this is'nt to early!! Take care, Strat

Man, everytime I look at the forum we've got dog-stuff on the top grin.gif Let's make an effort to talk turkeys so much, that we compete with the guys that chase after those other upland birds! Just kidding....I love hunting pheasants and grouse too, and I'm sure they'd much rather have me chasing them than some of you other guys.....I'm a lousy wing-shot!

All this Black Hills talk is getting me excited, though I think I won't try it out until next year. What a guy should do, is take the whole week off, bring your rod and gun/bow. I've heard of a few streams out there that are phenomenal for trout.

It also makes me think about those gorgeous Merriams! Check out the next post!

Joel

Jnelson,

There are definitely no shortage of fantastic trout streans to fish while your there. Between the scenery, the turkeys and all the other game out there it's a very worthwhile trip.

Say, Thanks for the reply Borch, I apprecate the info..We are heading out April 13-18, hope this is'nt to early!! Take care, Strat

A lot depends on the spring. I'd focus on hunting the lower elevations during that time of year. Usually things start up there a bit earlier than up high.

P.S.

Be prepared for snow. You may not get it. But there a pretty good chance that you'll see some on your trip.

Borch.

• 2 weeks later...

just thought I'd bring this post back up, Quiet day on the post's I see. Borch we chaged the dates out to the Black Hill's. Now it's April 21-25. Strat

Strat o caster,

Where are you staying? If your still looking for a place let me know. I know of several places that will treat you right for not much $. Also contact the US Forestry Dept. for a map. It's $4-5 and worth every penny. There's info on the SD Parks & Wildlife site.

Borch

Borch, we have'nt made any reservation's as of yet. Please send me a e-mail I would apreciate (sp).. I'll get a map, I've been to the web site a few times. [email protected] Thanks John

The info is on my computer at home. I'll send you the info later tonight.

Borch

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for the wing bones of wild turkeys to make turkey calls. I can make 1 call from each wing. If you get me both wings I will make 2 calls, giving you 1 and I will keep the other.
Simply skin the wing and remove it from the body where wing and body connect.
If you want to send them to me make sure they are frozen on ice so they dont rot.
I will also teach you how to use the call when they are done.
These calls work. I have 2 in my turkey vest along with several other different calls. I find these sometimes can make the difference when an old Tom hangs up.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Absolutely! Call me from Alaska when you get to your new cabin! 😆
    • Kettle
      Would you recommend the link I got from the Nigerian Prince in my email about the 2.3 million dollars he wants to send me after I give him my bank account info for direct deposit or no? 
    • leech~~
      Holy-e-crap  The Trolls and spammers are helping the site "hit count" lately.  Just do not hit any of their posted links. 🕷🪳🦟🪰
    • OscarPoppy1
      The symbols used in sweet bonanza slot Online are: grapes, watermelons, lemons, oranges, cherries, plums, bells, lucky sevens and the sweet bonanza logo. The player needs to get at least three matching symbols on a payline to win a prize.
    • OscarPoppy1
      It is an online slot machine that can be played on either a mobile or computer. It is set in the American West with a frontier theme. It is your task to match symbols and spin the reels to make winning combinations. There are five reels, three rows of symbols and 25 paylines. There are three reels and three rows of symbols, as well as a wild symbol, scatter symbol, bonus symbol, and paylines. The wild symbol replaces all other symbols, except for the scatter and bonus symbols. The free spins feature is activated by the scatter symbol. The bonus symbol activates the bonus round.   Fixed jackpots of 5000 coins are available in the game. You can set the coin value from 0.01 to 0.50 and the maximum line bet is 5.00. Maximum bet per spin: 125.00 This game offers a 96% return to player rate. Three or more scatter symbols landing anywhere on the reels triggers the free spins feature. The player will get 10 free spins. All wins during the free spins are multiplied three times. If three or more scatter symbols are found during the free spins round, the feature can be retriggered.   the wolfgoldslot.org   When three or more bonus symbols land in an active payline, the bonus round will be activated. The player will then be taken to another screen, where they will need to select from a variety of coins. Each coin has its own value. The total can range from 2x up to 20x.   Related Resources:   Gates of olympus slot   Play wolf gold slot   Play sweet bonanza online free   Bigger bass bonanza slot
    • smurfy
      well.........you are pretty special!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤭🤭👍
    • leech~~
      Now their replying to me! 🤣
    • millicentgill
      Onlineessaywritingservice.review said that not all sites could be trusted. I agree with this statement. Anyone should check the modern websites they want to use.
    • millicentgill
      There should be three components in the work: the introduction, the argumentatively proved thesis, and the conclusion. There are no strict requirements for the arrangement of the components: the thesis can go to the conclusion, but the main task of the author is to ensure the logicality and integrity of the 99 papers reviews. Do not forget when using references to other people's work to mark it with appropriate references, and do not overload paragraphs - each should be marked one complete idea or argument. Introduction This is your calling card, a chance to interest the reader: with a word or phrase, a bold quote to hook and arouse curiosity, without deviating from the main thesis. Use a rough draft, because it is easier to find an interesting "hook" for the introduction while working on the essay, and then put it in the introduction. Remember the popular saying that a worthwhile thought always comes later!   Don't "pour water"; try to use words directly related to the topic of the essay. Mistakes: Blank. Applicants commit the sin of quoting popular people, telling primitive jokes, or using headlines and facts from the media that are annoying to the review committee. Such an introduction will not arouse positive emotions. Dry facts. The task of the introduction - to arouse interest: do not hesitate to be emotional, because the restrained presentation of the facts will leave the reader indifferent. Thesis When choosing a thesis statement, it should be firmly understood that it is not a scientifically proven fact or the result of conducted experiments and observations, but the main idea of the essay, which can be expressed in a few words. To be sure you have a thesis statement, imagine: the examiner put your written work aside and, without reading it, asks you what the main idea is. The two or three sentences you will need to answer are the thesis statement, a summary of the entire essay.   The topic offered in educational institutions often has different interpretations and approaches. You are not faced with the task of finding an unambiguous solution to the question posed - remember that they want to know your personal point of view, test your ability to think logically and be intellectually savvy. It is acceptable to quote from the works of any researcher or philosopher, explaining your understanding of their hypotheses and how they reflect the thesis of the paper. Prioritize unquestioned authorities: Aristotle, Einstein, Socrates, 20th century academics - do not use recent scholars, especially media darlings. Mistakes: To be or not to be? An overly philosophical approach to the problem will lead to a loss of firm ground and turn the essay into meaningless abstract reasoning. State a concrete, not too radical opinion. Argumentation There should be several reasons determining your position on the question posed: describe each of them in detail in a separate paragraph, trying to observe the semantic sequence. Do not deviate from the topic and do not forget that if the logic of the work requires it, the thesis can be placed in the last paragraph. Play on contrasts and contradictions, denote the inconsistency of the commonplace view of the subject with the scientific one, put an obstacle that is not easy to overcome. Give priority to students who not only know how to solve a problem, but also how to discern it. Mistakes: Questionable argument. Remember that the very notion of an argument implies that it is true - you should not cite someone else's speculation as evidence. Don't repeat it twice. The same idea, in other words, expressed in a different paragraph, will give the impression that there is nothing to say. Conclusion In conclusion, you should not repeat what has already been written - briefly finish your thought, write a thesis statement if you decide to leave it for last. The conclusion should be polished and elegantly summarize the previous reasoning. A good way is to share the experience of writing this particular essay: tell what proved to be the most difficult, what ideas you had to discard during your reasoning, and which ones were a revelation to you. Mistakes: New arguments. The conclusion is to summarize all of the above, this part does not imply the appearance of additional arguments: if there are still thoughts, add an additional paragraph. It will be superfluous to describe the structure and content of your work at the end - they speak for themselves. The conclusion is intended to give the reader a sense of completeness and completeness.   Related Resources: Differences between essays and other creative works Checklist for a good essay The difference between an essay and a term paper Structure of the essay
    • williamnielsen
      And here is another site that I will add to the favorites list. I'm glad I found these satirical essay topics so quickly. Perhaps now I will not have to surf the web anymore.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.