• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First Time Pointer Puppy Checklist

Grabs

Hey guys, I am getting my first pup in about 2 months, an English Setter. So I thought it would be really nice to start a check list of items one should buy ahead of time. Things for training and things for housebreaking, or anything else you can think of. Maybe break the items up into two categories, essential and just items that are nice to have.

Also, I'm curious if maybe some of you guys can help give some guidance on when,
what shots are do and any other vet things that may need to be done in the first year
of a puppy's life.

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 02-27-2004).]

Newspaper, paper towels, newspaper, paper towels, newspaper....

And chew toys!

Have a 10wk old GSP and all it wants to do is chew...including my hands. Trying to housetrain but it seems like it just isn't working. (insert suggestions here)

The breeder should have given you his shot records up to the date of purchase. A trip to the vet shortly after you bring the pup home for a check-up and they should recommend the shot schedule based on the previous records.

Good luck!

A kennel. A pad to sleep on in the kennel.
One leather chew bone. A collar. A leash.
Food and water bowl. Lots of love. Lots of play time with the family.

Way to go on the new addition! If you get the pup at 8 weeks it will need Parvo shots every 4 weeks until it is 6 month old. At that time you will give it another multi shot booster, Lyme vaccination, Rabies shot, and worm them, again(probably). Do not forget the topical tick drops. Depending on your vet this can run in to some real money. I buy the stuff out of Fo$ter and $mith catalog. A must have for new dog owners.

Get enrolled in a good puppy school obedience class very soon. It is good for the pup but better for you.

Different size collars as they grow. You should do fine with collars 16" and under. Make your own check cords a couple of different lengths. Some 10 yards, some 30.

Get a bell or beeper collar for locating your dog in heavy cover. Have a good whistle.

Plastic portable dog kennel and stainless food bowls are a must. They can be house dogs but teach them a kennel is their home too. I feed them in there as young dogs. They will have to be kenneled during the day and during car trips so they have to get used to it.

You can buy a couple of retrieving dummies too. They can like to carry things and you should encourage it. Other things I use for toys are stuffed animals. They tear them up but they are cheaper than a new couch or chair.

If you need more info. [email protected]

Time, Time, Time!! I gave my pup chew toys, but kept it to hard bones and those types. None of the soft animal resembling toys. Nows the time to do your reading and have fun. I also putting some of the different scents in front of him to "search" for, but just making it it fun.

Somethings I wish I had done different in the early stages:

Kennel training, beeper collar, making quick "nothing" visit to the vet(he has always been terrified??), leaving him alone(boarding) for some periods. All of these are problems for me 5 years later.

My list of needs would include:
time, books, toys, indoor and outdoor kennel, collars, leashe, checkcords, dumbies, treats, whistle, starter pistol, bird scents, fenced yard, toe nail clippers, hair brush, save for quality e-collar if your choosing to use.

If your doing your own training, getting together with others that have already done it and made mistakes can be very helpful. Not to tell you what to do exactly but what worked for them.

Have fun and congrats on your Setter.

Brian Rogers

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 02-28-2004).]

I have a slightly used dog kennel/carrier for sale if interested. It is listed under the used gear section. It could save you a few bucks.

Great info guys!

Huckleberry, thanks but I picked one up for free last summer. Some had just had a garage sale and it was over and they hadn't sold it yet. The put it on the street for free. Hell of a deal that was! And I picked up a 5'x12' kennel, heated water dish, stainless food bowls and a second wire kennel all for $10!

Now I need to start picking up some collars, check cords and training tools yet.

Go to Walmart and get a bag of those little dogbones and a bag of rawhide chews. The dogbones work good when you're teaching them to go into the kennel, give them one when they get inside the door, pretty soon they'll be racing to the kennel when you say 'kennel', especially if they see the dogbone in your hand. And the rawhide chews can keep them occupied for hours.

First thing - take it to a GOOD vet and have it checked over real good. Your vet should tell you which shots and when. Your breeder should provide you with the shots they gave it.

Puppy proof your house as much as you can, then chew toys, chew toys, chew toys....... Not all out there at once. Put them on a rotation schedule so they don't all get boring at the same time.

Then love, play, love, play..... Let the pup get all of this that you and your family can give it.

Potty training. Don't know what to say here. Some pups "get it" right away and some take a long time. I must be unlucky because all mine have taken a while. Take the pup out, give the "go potty" command right when the pup starts it's business and praise the heck out of the pup when it finishes. You are training the pup to do it's toilet job on command and reinforcing this with praise.

Get a crate for the pup. Put the pup in the crate when you can't supervise it. Don't use the crate as punishment all the time, it has to be a positive place too.

Teach the puppy it's name first, and then "whoa" second. If you can stop the pup then you can go get it. Sometimes they don't want to come when you call them, but I've found they're more likely to whoa than come when the command is issued. When it get's pretty good at whoa'ing then consider puppy obedience class. Pup may be about 6 months old or older for puppy obedience training.

Use the small puppy dog treats for reinforcing good behavior and training successes.

Take your time picking up bird dog training gear. Do some research to see what will be practical for you.

Go to the public library and pickup all the pointing dog training books and tapes they have.

Join a pointing dog club.

Good luck.
gspman