• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buoy Hunters!!!!!

nuclear fishing
i cant believe someone hasnt said this yet
but you are a so called buoy hunter
you scan the lake for people catching fish
it sure isnt much different
why would you think it is bad and annoying when you are the one buoy hunting
there is nothing wrong with being a serious fisherman and when i find fish i would like to catch them not share them with someone who is across the lake watching me catch fish on binoculars
i think you can find better tactics than this

but you have a right to fish how you want it is just not how i would feel good about catching fish

Here's a little trick I learned years ago from an o'l timer. If you want to mark a spot, tie a weight to a piece of driftwood. People driving by will think it is merely a piece of wood floating and not bother stopping. I would use this trick on new lakes when I would want to come back to a spot and not have to many other boats keeping me off. If you’re going to use brightly colored marker buoys, you’re going to get company. Quite frankly, I don't mind sharing a spot with other people as long as they don't anchor in my drift. Fishing should be relaxing and not competitive, unless you’re in a tournament or just want to tease your partner of course.

Well Keepandeat.
Looks like we found our Buoy Hunter,

Congradulations Nuclear Fishin
You have won the title to all floating marker buoy on Mille Lacs.

Heck for those Binoculars you paid for you could of purchase a hand held gps unit, but,

Gosh I have to quote you Nuclear Fishin you have the best tactics, beyond knowledge, skill,experience and gear.

Quote Nuclear Fishin, "I've found one of the best ways to scout out a new lake is to scan the lake with binoculars and see where people are fishing and who's catching fish."
Gosh, that the answer to eveyone quests to fishin, but what do you do when the fishing is pretty slow all over?

WhiskeyWalleyes,

I've been waiting a long time to post a response to this topic, and your post sparked it. I agree with Nuclear Fishin. I've actually used a spotting scope to see if people were catching fish. If you think that is cheating, then maybe you shouldn't be on this board. You are cheating by getting information and not finding the fish on your own.

Do you look at other anglers when you are in a group of boats to see what they are using or do you just look down? I'm guessing when you see people reel in a fish, you're trying to figure out what they are doing to maybe adjust your presentation. That's no different then using binocs from a distance. So you are just as guilty. I'm not a buoy hunter, but I have no problem with someone else using my buoy as a reference. If they want to park on top of it - that's fine by me. It's not like catching fish 10 yards from there is difficult. It is everyone's lake and they are everybody's fish. Not your's alone. I can't believe someone would even think that because they were at a spot first, that it is 'their' spot.

I have a lot more to say, but I'll wait to see your intelligent responses first.

tjhunter

[Editors Note-No personal attacks allowed TJ]

[This message has been edited by tjhunter (edited 07-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 07-08-2002).]

It seems Keep and eat, whiskey walleyes have labeled me a buoy hunter. I never said in my post that I use other people's buoys, and that I use binocs instead of a GPS. I have a GPS and I rarely use my own or other people's buoys. I have a number of ways of scouting a new lake. The first of which is to see where everyone is fishing. If you are an avid fishermen and think this is cheating, then you are missing one of the best ways to gain information, or at least a starting point in your search for fish.

The purpose of my post was to break up your discussions on exploding buoys and tactics for evading the masses of fisherman who you think are following you and all your splendid walleye knowledge. These days, I just don't see many secret spots anymore. The information is out there. If you think you have all the secrets, and you deserve your little area of the lake around your buoy, you're wrong. Just relax and enjoy the fishing with the others who have joined you on that spot.

Okay, here is my two cents on the subject of those fisherman that think "structure" means other people's boats and/or markers. Mille Lacs is a lake that will always have a lot of boats on most every spot when the fishing is hot. If you are going to fish there you will be around other boats and will often be closer to other boats than on other lakes. Putting out a marker does not entitle anyone to exclusive rights to a piece of structure. But, seeing a marker or someone catching fish and then making a beeline to that area is totally classless. Yes, I will fish a spot that someone has marked if I was already heading there but I will stay well away from them out of common courtesy. As far as using binoculars to spy on other fisherman and then use that as a way to find walleyes you are missing the point of fishing. Walleyes don't really fight all that well, pound for pound, compared to many other species. That challenge with walleyes is finding them and then hooking them. So, if you just want fish in your hands, might I suggest Cub Foods. You can even "spy" on them by means of their newspaper ads so you are not missing out on the thrill of getting information the easy way. A better idea would be to subscribe to any of several fishing magazines so that you can learn to identify structure on your own. After you have educated yourselves you can then get a map, look it over for likely spots, try several spots until you start putting it together. I moved here twenty years ago and did not know jack about walleyes. The fishing friends I made in Minnesota told me to do just what I stated above. Nothing beats finding your own structure with the knowledge you have worked to develop and then having it pay off.

I read the forum daily and enjoy it very much and have learned from all the great members. The recent issue about buoy hunters has been interesting with some great views and helpful hints. Since I rarely reply to the forum and needed to review the policies which I kindly suggest that all should read especially policies 1,4 and 8. those who enjoy the outdoors are all great people in my mind. Happy fishing

Eastwind-

You're right about "spying", and I want to clarify that I don't do this and agree that its not ethical. I was making a point that finding a group of boats (or fish houses) as a starting reference is not a completely unacceptable way of finding fish on new water.

A big lake like Mille Lacs can be somewhat intimidating at first. My first trip to this lake, as well as the other large lakes I've fished, have begun with quick scan on the horizon to see where the fishing is going on. It helps to see. I hope I did not imply that I was spying. I also want to let you know that I never cruise over to someone who is finding success near me. You are absolutely right about these points.

I didn't know jack when I started walleye fishing either. I've fished every large lake in this state from top to bottom and ND to Wis, and the thing that always gets me is these people like Whiskey Waters who think they got the secret spots. He quoted me, so I'll take the liberty to quote him.

"the best tactics, beyond knowledge, skill, experience and gear."

I believe its the ability to ask or observe the local fishing patterns. Asking questions and observing are two great tactics.

If you decide you need to throw a marker, expect company. If you dont want company ....guess what you shouldnt do??? Its pretty simple. By the way if you decide you need to throw a marker right on a breakline while there are other boats working it you are really inconciderate !

i can understand people getting frustrated by other people crowding them on remote lakes. However, considering the number of people of Mille Lacs - I don't like it, but I do expect to be crowded.

One thing I have to add:

I have thrown a many buoys out in my fishing adventures. Many times others have come to fish near my bouy and I have done the same. I have to say, I have met many nice folks this way and have had many enjoyable conversations. I don't mind sharing "spots" I have been fishing with others. The lake is there for everybody and I'm just out there to enjoy it.

One more thing.....I too have looked what others are using when they are having success...makes the guessing easier....

------------------
Take a kid fishing today!

hey econ might try that next time. look for me amidst the glow of yellow and green. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by weekendjunkie (edited 07-09-2002).]

Sounds like we should all be fishing and not complaining.

Fish On!

Stephen

WeekEndJunkie,
Doesn't sound like I will need binoculars to find you smile.gif.
EconGuy

I was out sunday by Spirit Island and tossed out a yellow buoy to mark the break line while drifting and it just happened to disappear when a group of 5 in a new Sylvan pulled in downwind to drift. I guess they must have spent all their money on the boat. Oh well, now I have room for a beverage in my buoy holder.

In search of the elusive walleye.
Ret-ro frown.gif

Mille Lacs is a wonderful lake to fish on! with many areas to fish. I've the lake one time and threw out bouys to mark diffrent locations. Prior to fishing the lake I used information off of this web sight to get some info on the lake. Just to have a general idea of what they were biting on. I fish all types of fish for diffrent enjoyments I love to fish so some times I fish walleyes and sometimes I fish Bass my point is fishing is a sport not a war it does bother me if your fishing an area and somebody works into your spot I've seen it many times on winnie this one boat caught three fish in a row then like five boats oved right into there spot and pushed them out but you want to hear the funny part they moved over and did it agian and the same five moved over and then the people just left but these lakes are huge so everyone can enjoy the lake with out fighting over bouys or even structure. I'm going back up to Mille Lacs agian to enjoy the lake and to pull up some eyes and monster smallies and let them all go back for you to enjoy to because thats what fishing is all about. So when people invade your spot just think maybe there fishing experience isn't as advanced as yours and they don't understand walleyes like you or I they just want to catch a fish? and they see that color bobbing up and down that to them is a invation to come on over the fish are right here! So give some people a break they don't understand that some people take fishing very seriously and others just don't care but thats okay I've had bad experinces with people but moved away from the crowd and pounded the fish. Remember we are all on the same team nothing is a secret for very long on a lake anymore enjoy the lake and your time on it while it lasts! Good Luck and get along with your fellow fisherman!BigBassBrettskee

Hello all,

If you fish Mille Lacs regularly, you all know that there are quite a few knuckleheads out there. Obviously, scouting out their own locations is not what they consider a part of fishing also. I realize that, and try to deal with it the best I can.

But...what I can't understand is when you are trolling a structured area like a flat and someone comes along and dumps a bouy out in the same line you are fishing. Or when they anchor in your path. It would be one thing if they were there first, but when they move in and setup shop in an area that someone else is working...now that's annoying.

econ, will leave you a spot to drop your bouy right next to mine... be sure to label it so we dont get them mixed up...lol tongue.gif

I am having trouble believing all of the people who say that fishing next to someone else's buoy is ok. I hear some of your comments and just ask myself how can these people be fisherman. I dont know a single fisherman who is good and into fishing that wouldnt be upset if someone darted right at there buoy and began fishing it after they saw you catch fish. Or decided to anchor right on your buoy. And some of you people say " its fine lets all share the lake so we can all have an enjoyable experience." I absoutely do not understand this!
i guess these people must not be serious fisherman at all. and that is ok but if you are not serious than stay away from others that are and that are fishing buoys they dropped. Sure i go up there to have a good time but my first goal is to catch as many fish as i can and if someone else is trying to move in on my spot when i am catching them that is just not right. and i am not going to say to myself "oh thats fine lets all enjoy catching fish" I could never start invading someone else's territory after they start catching fish and feel right about catching them. That is not a fisherman!Lets all just respect peoples buoys they throw and let them fish them without constantly being harassed. all for now

keep&eat, Your right on the money there!! 120,000 acres??? If someone does that to me i will make sure that they will not catch a fish there. I think a guy should lift up there motor and start rooster tailing all around your buoy!..lol

learn how to use your GPS and you will have no need to throw out a marker. use your plotting screen and it keeps you VERY close to where your icons are, between using that and a graph there is no need to throw out a marker. I fish many different lakes and on mille lacs there are alot of idiots out there. good luck fishin
Jon

Look at how this thread has grown!!

With all yur bi$chin it's amazing you have time to go out fishing and be bothered by some one else being there.

KeepandEat - "my spot"? "Your spot" can be used by anybody on that lake, you don't own it. How else are those first time inexperianced people going to save time and find fish if they don't head for the action? Maybe they should stay on shore with a cane pole so you and Foss Farley can throw em where the big boys grow?

Some of you guys act like your trying to survive on fish for food or something. Fishing is considered a sport. Think about it. If I was able to go and steal some athletes skill and use it to my advantage, I would be looked down upon by everyone and considered a cheater. Imagine how that athlete would feel. THE SAME F*CKIN WAY THE GOOD FISHERMEN DO! Fishing is SUPPOSED to be fun and challenging. I find the challenge to be fun. People cant get that much satisfaction out stealing someone elses skill(spot, lure, etc.) Overcoming the challenges in fishing is the part that people find the most satisfying. And people feel violated when anything about them is used to benefit someone else.