• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Box calls?

anchor man

I'm looking to buy a nice box call and don't want to spend more than $30. Does anyone have any recommendations? I probably will buy either from Gander or Cabelas and I'm not sure what they have in stock yet.

Thanks

Hey anchorman...thought I'd chime in. When I started Turkey hunting 5 seasons ago, I purchased a slate, box, and a few mouth calls. I didn't spend a ton of dough as I wasn't sure how fun it'd be. Well, I love it...and will continue to go as long as I get picked.

That being said, I'm guessing I spent about $20 on my HS Strut box call. Nothing special about this box, yet I've pulled a ton of birds with it. I'm 3 for 4 on the last season of the year for the past 4 seasons. As long as you have the box chalked up good, don't overcall, and sound remotely like a hen...they'll respond. There are a ton of calls under $30 at Cabelas that will do this for you.

I remember my first morning like it was yesterday. I had a gobbler running back and forth in this bottom gobbling his head off. I got him going with my box, then ran the slate, and finally I made sure my mouth call was acceptable by giving it a whirl...he gobbled to everything, but hung up on me for the better part of an hour!

Point is, every call out there will likely work...just make sure the quality is good enough so that it won't bust on you in the field. When runnin' and gunnin' equipment can be neglected a bit and must be robust enough to handle a few bumps.

I actually would highly recommend either a single hand call (push button call) or a barrel mount call. These calls allow you to hold your gun, aim, and call at the same time. This is a must if you are not 100% sure you can cluck and purr with a mouth call when birds are close.

Good luck to you!
Buck

LYNCH WORLD CHAMPION!!! they only cost about $20 and are deffinatly the best "bang" for your buck. just my .02 cents

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

My personal favorite is the Quaker Boy Old Grand Master. Best production Boxcall I've used. Although the Lynch calls are very good too. It'll run you $15-20.

The lynch is tried and true, dang nice call. Clucking is its strong point....about as realistic as it gets.

My pick is the Primos Lil' Heartbreaker.....outside of your price range at ~$40, but more versatile than others I've used. The clucks are pretty good, but the yelps are higher pitched and raspier than most I've tried. You can get more volume with it to cut high winds if you're hunting in those conditions too.

Good luck!

Joel

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.