• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Force Fetch Trainer?

Bushwacker

Just wondering if anybody has their dogs force fetch trained. I hear a lot about it but have never hunted with a dog that is FF trained? Any done any FF training themselves, and if so, was it as difficult as most make it out to be. Any info would be apprieciated.

B.W. forcing a dog is a way to insure that you'll have a finished retriever. A lot of dogs can get by without forcing and the flip side is, some breeds more or less require forcing, but in the end, it is my opinion that all forced dogs are a more finished dog.

I force all my dogs now and have done so since 1990. I do them myself and I feel most people can do it themselves, but it is best to work with somebody who is familiar with the process the 1st time you do it. I'd recommend that if you use a trainer, ask questions and get some recommendations from past clients on their force methods. I know some have a reputation of using to much pressure and "wrecking" a dog. You do not need to be inhumane to force an animal. You only need to apply as little negative pressure as needed to get them to do what you are asking. some trainers have a one size fits all method and it usually involves more than what a dog requires. You need to be very consistent in your training when forcing and limit the amount of "retrieving" you do during this time. A very calm steady voice is required, and do not let the animal not complete a given task. Always finish the level you are at before advancing to the next level.

I know these are kind of generic answers, but it would be hard to describe every nuance of the training here. I'm sure if you move forward with the force that you'll be pleased with the results.

Good Luck! Ken

LABS4ME is right on the money about the training and how much better a companion/hunter a dog can be with it. I had my dog at one trainer that had the 'one size fits all" mentality. He was hammering my 5 month old with a collar like she was a stubborn 4 year old. None of my dogs will ever go back there. I found a guy that gets to know the dog and tailors the reinforcement to the dog's personality. What a difference! He calls the process "conditioned retrieve" rather than "force fetch", I guess it's a matter of philosophy. I don't know how many crippled pheasant my girl has retrieved and held onto until I could take the bird. I know these birds would have ran if she'd dropped them. Now she'll even hold a 12oz'er until I ask for it!