• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Right Track??

Mayfly

I have a Puppy who is 14 weeks old (just over 3 mos.). I have done fairly well so far with basic obedience and am staring to get inot some bird training. I have never done this before.

I have a ball that I have taped pheasant feathers all over. I also taped the tail feathers on it. So, basically it is a pheasant feather ball. When in the field I throw the ball into anything and she runs in after it and hunts the hell out of the area until she finds it. I usually put it into thicker cover to give her more of a challenge. Its great watching her work the area over. She finds it and brings it right back to my hand. It's impressive.

How do I get it into her head that the birds are also there without me throwing something into the area? Its like she'll only hunt unless I throw someting out there. I hope this makes sense to someone.

Just wondering what else I should be doing. She's only 3 mos.. Just looking for opinions. Thanks, MF

At that next stage I did this. Somehow without the pups knowledge hide wings in the cover. Lead her in the direction downwind until she gets the scent she will want to investigate. Very soon into this I combine with starter pistol.

If this is a pointer there is much more to add to this.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 01-26-2004).]

You can also try to drag a bird or a scented canvas dummy to leave a scent trail and leave it in the cover. Work or walk the dog along so she crosses the scent trail.

Hey Mayfly...this is a great tip for working patience, obedience and flushing/retrieving all at once.

Once you have the sit/stay trained into a young dog they tend to still want to follow you occasionally. Well, what I do, is make my dog sit, then lay down and stay on one side of my house. Then, I walk away and leave her by herself (patience). I walk around to the other side of the house and hide the 'bird' in a bush or by a tree. My bird is a tennis ball with pheasant or grouse scent. I walk back to my dog and heel her up. I make her walk with me heeled the entire time (obedience) until we're 20-30 yards downwind of the 'bird' and then I put her in hunt mode. I sent her out with a 'where's the bird...hunt 'em up!'. I continue to walk as if we're pushing a woods, field, or grassland. When she gets on it, slow up so the dog knows you've agknowledged her birdiness (flush) and wait for the dog to retrieve (obviously retrieve) it...and then, praise follows immediately.