• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

In field urination question

Lunker

Had the dog out today, working a wma. Carried the 20g for rabbits, but really wanted to get the dog out again cause he didnt get too much action this fall. Anyways, he is a 16 month old black lab, and does very well for himself hunting. But what I find odd is the fact that he'll lift his leg about 30 times while we're in the field. First couple of times he produces, but them he just dry fires the rest of the day. He has done this every time I've hunted with him, but he doesnt do it when he is in the backyard or on a walk in such a great amount. Is there a health or discipline problem here or is this normal?

Lunker...this is fairly normal behavior for a younger male dog. In fact I have 6 year old male that still has a tendancy to "mark" a fair amount. They'll tend to do it more in these new areas as opposed to home or on a common walking route, because he's already got those areas marked. No real health issues. You may think he's "dry firing" but even one drop will mark his area. The only discipline problem that would be associated with this is if you plan to run any trials and or hunt tests. The more advanced stakes will nick him pretty good on points for repeated urination. Could add up to enought to knock him out of the game. But as far as hunting goes nothing to worry about.

Good Luck! Ken

If I owned all of the land that my 5 year old lab marks while hunting we would have half of Minnesoa and a good portion of North Dakota.

I was watching a field trial one time, sitting on a lawn chair, must have been too close to the trail and one of the dogs, as it came off the field, pissed right on my leg!!!