• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ivory Lab

Chiefer

I'm in search of a female Ivory Lab. If anybody knows or could recommend a breeder it would be much appreciated. I would like to get her this spring. Thanks again.

Chiefer: go to the waterfowl thread, you will find what you are looking for. I think anyway.
GOOD LUCK

I got one of Bucks Ivories from last summer.
Great dog, shes got a ton of potential.
Shes much different from my black lab.
Much more calm and focused, and seems to pay attention, (most of the time) when your working with her.
Ofcourse shes only about 7 months old, so shes has to have her fun too.
Matter of fact, my wifes sitting here right now holding her like a big baby, and this dog just lays there nice and calm and lets you pet her.
Probably nothing new to some of you guys, but my black lab is almost 3 and she still doesn't hold still , shes pretty hyper.

I've knocked my black lab a few times on this site, and just would like to say that the family loves her and she is a great pet, She really hasn't failed me, if anyone failed it is most likely me . but I'm probably going to just work with the younger one and perhaps she will teach my black soemthing. I haven't given up on her, but I just see alot of potential with the Ivory, and want to put what little spare time I have into her.

spank you very much, and have a great day

Labby,

Yep that's me. I now live in Hutchinson. Any hints about who Labby is????? My e-mail address is on this forum---drop me an e-mail????

Buck12,
I would like my first hunting dog. I have looked at chocolate and yellow, but not many Ivory. I would like to know a price range for an Ivory. Guarenteed hips?
Thanks.

If You looked at a yellow then you did infact look at an Ivory. They are one in the same!!

Redhead,
An Ivory lab does refer only to the color as it is considered to be a yellow lab. The Ivory is just that, ivory in color, almost white. It has to do with the coloring you prefer. My last liter had 4 ivory colored pups and 2 yellow pups. I never know what color the pups will be. In fact it is possible to get a black lab from breeding yellow labs since black is the dominant color of labs. When I have my female bred it has to do more with health, hunting instinct, and disposition rather than color. I also prefer a smaller lab 60-70#s. That being said, I do like the ivory colored labs.
Since this is not a "For Sale" forum post your e-mail and I will contact you.
Buck12

Dano, It was nice to see that your pup is doing good. I hope your family is enjoying her. Keep working with her and you won't be disappointed this fall.
Buck

While you can get a black pup out of a yellow, it would have to be bred with a black in order to produce a black pup. All yellow to yellow breedings will ONLY produce yellow. The yellow gene is recessive and thus y X y = y. Hypothetically y X By = 1/2 yellow, half black, but in reality it can be any combo of the colors, (black pups carry the yellow gene and will throw yellow). y X B = all black, but pups will carry the yellow gene and throw yellow.

Chocolate is a mutated form of the black gene.

As stated "ivory" is just a lighter shade of yellow. It will be registered as a yellow and approx. half of them will take on a darker shade of yellow as they mature.

Good luck in your search! Ken

Labs,
Thanks for clearing this up. I had been misinformed. I have a friend that always asked if I had gotten any blacks from breeding two yellows. He had assured me that this was a possibilty. It's nice to clear up that myth. Thanks again.

Very interesting post!!!! Thank you for the added insight. How would you go about trying to determine what gene pool your dog or the dog you will breed to is in? Our females parents are both black. She is a lighter colored yellow with dark tipped ears and a liver colored nose. Going back 4 generations there is only ONE yellow in her pedigree. Her mothers great-grandfather is yellow. I certainly would like to find out more on how all of this works.

Thank you very much. EXCELLENT POST

If you go to the the top of the page that comes up and click on "Link" you'll get a list...in that list you'll see VeGen Purebred etc. Under that link go to Canine, and select Current Services, this will take you to a page that has 'Revolutionary ChromaGene' with color code prediction for labradors. OR...

http://www.vetgen.com/color.html

I believe this is also the origin of the color code chart. Looks to be $85 per dog to get the color code prediction done.

This is one example, I'm sure there are other places out there.