• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wanted-a good lab pup.

BLACKJACK

As you can see by some of my other posts in this category today, I've been thinking alot about my dog situation, and how much fun it is heading out to SoDak and pheasant hunting and how I could be underdogpowered, especially since my brother lost his dog, so I'm going to make a pitch to my wife this weekend to get another pup. My thinking is that a pup ready now is was born 12/1 and will be old enough to hunt somewhat next fall.

Looking for: a female, black or yellow, good pedigree, hips and eyes guaranteed, would prefer the guy that hunts his dogs/breeds once a year/is keeping one of the pups. price $300-$600. Saw lots of ads in the Strib and Outdoor News, but if one of you have a recommendation, I'd appreciate it.

A guy that lives right by me trains labs, Double Brit Labs? I am not a lab guy so I don't know much about him, would you like to leave your info or would you like his? I am pretty sure that if he didn't have one that he would know someone that does.

Hi BLACKJACK: Here is a website for you to try. These puppies are from the BEST LABS in the country. You will not find better pedigrees anywhere or more choices than on this site. GUARANTEED!!
www.working-retriever.com/ads/puplab.html
Keep us posted on what you buy.
MERRY CHRISTMAS.
www.working-retriever.com/ads/puplab.html

BLACKJACK: Shoot me your e-mail and I will send you the web site. For some reason it does not show up on my post.

Setterguy anyone else.

I am starting to look at getting another pup. Looking at either british labs, or a pointing lab. Looking for a pup ready mid feb -mid march. Anyone have any ideas?

I've had 2 labs from Good Going kennels in Baldwin Wisconsin and couldn't ask for a better dog or breeder.

Matt

I know it isn't a popular place to look for good hunting partners. But a co-worker of mine was checking metro humane societies and said there were lots of Papered lab pups($50) right now. Not sure exactly which one but I could find out if it sparks any interest.
Brian

duckbuster, the web site came thru for me, I'll check it out.

Setterguy, don't know if I want a 'british' lab, don't know if they're worth the hype, but I can check it out. Send me the info at [email protected]

Setterguy, still looking for that info on British labs. Also, do you still handle the Dogtra collars?

A hunting partner of mine picked up a british lab from the pound and that dog is an outstanding. It took her a few trips to figure things out. But it seems she improves every time. And boy does she protects those birds. My male springer doesn't even look her way when we take photo's or whatever. The pound is a good place to start. Happy Holidays everyone.

Hi BLACKJACK: Saw a real nice litter advertised in the strib today. The sire is this years Derby champ. The bitch is fathered by a 2 time national champion. For $600 this is a great pedigree. It looks like the litter is in Iowa though, I don't know if that matters. Here is the phone # 641-585-5345.
I can tell you that I have a 11 month old female out of the father of this stud. My dog has a wonderful nose and seems to be very intelligent. She is handling and has started to do her pattern blinds.
I would certainly give them a call if you can.
GOOD LUCK & keep us posted!!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS

BlackJack,

You can find some info on British labs at www.britishlabs.com. This is Dennis Anderson's website. He breeds them and has a training program set up on the site that you can purchase for $49 or so. The pups are pretty expensive, around $1200, but are bred for a laid back temperment and are supposed to have excellent noses. Another way to look for them is to look for the different field title initials after the parents name. I believe they are like FTCH etc. Also many of the pointing labs around the country have British labs bloodlines. One, Riks Risky Raider GMPR, MH is from Minnesota. He is out of CashZinger Kennels in the TC. Do a Yahoo search and you can find their website. They have a list of the dogs that "Raider" has been bred to recently and the owners of those dogs. I am getting up pup from North Wings Kennels in Embarrass. Raider is the sire and the bitch also has British lab field champs in her background as well if I remember correctly. The pups are to be born between Christmas and New Years. I can hardly wait til March when I can pick my female up. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

Ptman, last night I put money down on a pup that has Risky Raider as her grandsire! We pick her up on Jan 4th. Should be fun!

Duckbuster, I called that guy, he lived in Northern Iowa. Sounds like he had nice pups, but logistics and timing around the holidays got to be a problem. We had talked about meeting in Mankato, but I wanted to see a copy of the pedigree, he couldn't get his scanner to work.... In the meantime I found the guy above in Annandale, a one hour drive from Willmar.

What I found out guys in my puppy search was that the closer the pup was to a titled dog, as you could predict, the more expensive they were. I inquired and looked at puppies on the website mentioned above, great puppies sired by National Open finalists, but expensive, anywhere from $800 to $1500. Too rich for my blood for a pup that could get run over tomorrow.

When I called on the pups in the $400-600 range, most of those guys would also guarantee the hips and eyes, then it was a matter of looking at the pedigrees and seeing how far out/how many titles were in the pedigree. Called on a few in the $250-400 range, most of those were 'good hunting dogs', no guarantees, not much of a pedigree. There were exceptions, talked to one guy in Thief River Falls, nice pedigree for $350, but no females left frown.gif

Bottom line, I based my decision on finding a guy that would guarantee the hips and eyes (that was influenced heavily by some of the discussions here on the Forum - thanks Labs4me) and a decent pedigree. Finding a guy that had both parents and hunted his dogs, but was also doing some field trial work was a factor in the decision. So I ended up spending $500 for a middle of the spectrum pup, decent pedigree, hunting background, guaranteed hips and eyes. Looking forward to the next ten years with her!

Only second to the excitement of your kids being born....bringing home that new pup!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Good luck in your next "12-13 years" with her!

Ken

BLACKJACK: Congrats on the pick!!!!! Yellow or Blk? Do you know the guys from Mallard Creek kennels? I think they are from the Willmar area.
GOOD LUCK & MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!

Labs, I hope I get 14 years out of her!!

Duck, a black female. Yes, I know the guys from Mallard Creek, talked to them a few times, tried to have one of them breed my dog - his stud dog, I mean smile.gif Was at ASI the other day looking at their new store.

You won't be sorry about spending big cash for one of Rik's Risky Raider's pups. Great temperment, unbelievable nose and the male dogs are aorund 75lbs. The ypoint like crazy too.

Good luck... There are still Iowa roosters to be had. Gonna hit some cattail sloughs on Friday!

I have a black lab female from Candlewood Kennels. The dog is almost a year old, and already a excellent hunter and companion. My father has a lab female from Good Going in Baldwin WI. and it is also excellent in both catogories. The best I had was a 75 dollar female bought from guy up the road. My girlfriend bought it for me. Had Jason Domeyer train her at Dokkens when he was there. She was such a baby until that point and then she became the best grouse and pheasent dog I ever hunted with.

Her life ended at 5 years old. The vet's assistant gave her the wrong shot and it killed her in couple days. They tried to lie and cover it up but I had a autopsy done and the results came out. Needless to say thats when the Candlewood pup came into my life.

If you get that dog spend every second you can with it, cherish every memory cause it will be over before you know it.

Trapper

Black Jack,

Did you get the pup directly from CashZinger Kennels, or did you find it somewhere else? Just curious I'm in the market for something new myself. Looking hard at a pointing lab. I checked out Alma bottoms, but right now I can't afford the $1000 price tag.

Superfish, Found an ad in the Outdoor News, the guys sire was out of Risky Raider. Drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you his phone number. He has one yellow female left.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey superfish, not sure if you found a pup yet. Rick let me post my litter of labs...see 'water dog' post. My dog is a decendant of the Marathon Man and has 13 titles out to her great grand parents. Many duals, triples, and as you may be aware, the Marathon Man was a quad (FC, NFC, CAFC, and CNFC).

The sire also has a handful of titles in his pedigree. In my opinion, the best thing is neither of the dogs hold down the couch during hunting season. They are hunted hard!

The only reason I bred my dog is because I knew she had what is needed for good hunting stock...good peds, very healty hunting parents both 4 yrs of age. If you've ever read Game Dog, you know that's about the best you can do. She retrieved her first duck at 5 1/2 months old, in a river! I'm no pro, but have trained her for blind retrieves with hand and voice commands and now I'm working in the whistle...never used an e-collar.

I'm not a pro kennel. But then again...I'm not a pro kennel. Meaning, I've got time to spend with each dog individually and I'm not charging kennel prices. Many of them are already responding (@4 wks old) to sit, stay, come commands! I've got 1 choc. male and 2 black males left and I want them to go to hunting families.

Let me know if you'd want me to mail you pedigrees and/or pictures. [email protected]

superfish, I think you're wise to wait, you could end up with two old dogs (a ten year old and a 13 year old). Depending on their durability, you could end up with two retirees and then have to get a pup to hunt with...

By any chance, did you call that number I gave you? The last yellow female was looking pretty rambunctious when we picked up our pup!! A really dark yellow.

[This message has been edited by BLACKJACK (edited 01-05-2004).]

I agree with Blackjack, and I think it's a good idea to wait a few years also Superfish. I didn't realize your dog was so young.

You are just getting to the prime hunting years for your choc. Definitely run her for another 2-3 years before you start looking again.

Keep me in mind if you have any hunting buddies looking for a good pup.

Blackjack ... buckblaster

Thanks for the advice. I knew I should wait another year or two, but this dog really came into her own this year. This was her third hunting season and everything that we had been working on since she was a puppy just clicked this year. She flushed a lot of pheasants this year. Made some amazing retrives, on ducks and geese. I was enjoying it so much I wanted to start training another one. And blackjack no I didn't call that guy. I was all set to call him up and thought exactly what you guys said. I'd end up with 13 and 10 year old dogs.

buckblaster,

thanks for the offer, but I am looking for a female and I may have decieded to wait another year. I have a three year old choc right now, and I wouldn't mind letting her settle down a little more before I got another wild one in the house.