• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Do you have an ID collar on your dog?

BLACKJACK

Just wondering how many people keep some sort of ID collar on your hunting dog in case the unthinkable happens and they get lost or run away? The reason I'm asking is that my brother is in the process of looking for one of his dogs. He lives in the country, both his male dogs were tied but slipped their collars, went traipsing and one didn't come back. And he didn't have any sort of ID on it. So even if it hasn't been shot or run over, a person that finds it can't return it.

Just curious to see what other people do. FYI, I have a nylon collar on my lab with my name and several phone numbers on it.

After losing my dog for about 4 hours in a cornfield once, I would never go with out some I'd. He did have it then, it was a tough call to the wife after 3 hours to see if anyone had called, no luck. I ended up driving my truck into the middle of a WMA 3 hours after dark and sat with the truck running, he found me.(I know vehicle traffic is illegal but it worked)

I really like the idea of the chip and tatoo but for the everyday guy that will find a dog,you can't beat a phone # to call on the spot. It could take a while for someone to take the dog to a vet to read a chip. Brian

I have ID collars with my name, address and number. I got the leather safety collars from Dunn's, they attached a brass tag for free.
Dog's also have the chip.

I have a puppy collar with my dog's name on it and I have a adult collar on the shelf with a riveted name tag on it when she grows into it. I am planning on getting the chip put in her when she gets a little bigger. It would definetly not be very pleasant to lose her by running off or getting lost. Its amazing how quickly they become almost a member of the family.

I always have an id collar on the pooches. The one thing I can suggest is to NOT put the dog's call name on it but use a registered name or just your contact information with telephone number. If someone takes your dog why give them the keys to the car by knowing their name. If you tatoo I suggest not doing an ear--Sorry to say but they can be cut off. Go for the inside thigh of the back legs. The easiest way to not lose thim is to really put the effort into the off season in training. Being able to control your dog in the heat of the flush can be your best bet to not losing them chasing a flyer or running deer. I get mine from Foster and Smith catalog with the name plate and they are cheap--$5-7.

I agree 100 % Swamp scooter. I have all of my dogs tattooed in the inside if the thigh, as far as collars go I put MY name (not the dogs) and cell phone number (I will out looking for the dog not at home by the phone) As far as collars I use the type with the plastic clip and a riveted brass plate, the plastic clip will break apart if the dog would get hung up on a fence or in thick brush, better to lose the collar than the dog. I once found a Visla hanging dead on a barbed wire fence in Iowa; the owner couldn’t believe it he said he had always taught the dog to go under fences.

• 3 weeks later...

I have my name,adress and phone number plus the rabbies tag with the vets name and number and the # so the dog can be traced to me through the vet also.

IMHO it's just plain irresponsible not to have some sort of ID on your hunting dog. Too many things can happen that could result in a dog getting lost. I have leather collars from Dunn's with a brass plate. It has my name, home #, work #, and the word reward on it. It is cheap and worth every penny. The tattoos are a great idea as well.
gspman