• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dream Hunt

setterguy

Now, I know that this is predominatly a fishing sight. But what if you could pick a hunt at any location for any species of upland bird, and why. For me its easy, Ptarmagin in Alaska over my setters. The birds hold tight, live in the tundra so its reasonable walking, and you can shoot 15 a day so you know you will see a lot of action. They are about the size of a hen pheasant and are truly beatiful birds that live in the most beautiful place on earth. Blue Grouse hunting in the mountians of Colorado might come in a close second....but Alaska is on the top of my list. Lets hear your dream hunts, or if you have already been on one why not share your stories here with us.

Would like to try Argentina for waterfowl. The Blue grouse does sound fun. If we restrict our dreams to the US it would be a combo hunt in Montana/Idaho for grouse/pheasant.

I always wanted to do a bobwhite quail hunt over big time English Pointers in Texas/Oklahoma or a desert quail hunt in Arizona or New Mexico. I'd love to do a chuckar and/or hun hunt in Wyoming or Montana too.

gspman

At the risk of sounding boring... I still haven't done S.D. pheasants... But I agree with setterguy, I've seen some pics of people hunting up there, beautiful.

A few weeks back I shot my first sharptail in N. Dakota. I joked about it's feet. Almost Rapture like claws, and feathery. I kept calling them ptarmagin. Washington and Oregon has some outstanding bird hunting. The state's eastern side has a dry, semi-arid climate which is ideal for birds. Chukar, sage grouse, pheasant, and a wide variety of quail are abundant. A hop to the western range of the mountains and you're in a different world. A moist,lush,thick forest of pine and ferns. I've heard the term "fool hens" used for grouse, I never knew why until I hunted WA. state ruffed grouse. A true definition of the words fool hen. The birds weren't everywhere, but when found, there were plenty. Similar to the way bobwhite quail try to sneak away, so would these grouse. I literaly walked up to them and stomped on the ground for a flush! I never seen birds that dumb....True birdbrains. smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 12-15-2003).]

I'd like to duck and goose hunt up in Canada sometime, just to see thousands of waterfowl, and then have the opportunity to hunt them. And as long as we're dreaming, wouldn't it be nice to follow the migration south, Mantitoba in August, North Dakota in September, So Dak in Oct, Nebraska in November, Texas/Arkansas in December/January. Might as well throw in Argentina in February. But as far as dream hunts go, pheasants in SoDak isn't bad!! Hunting pheas, drinking beer, playing cribbage, talking smart, and you get to do that for 5 days straight! Fun, fun!

Although I have been bird hunting a lot lately, My dream hunt would be a Mountain Lion hunt behind hounds in Montana or Idaho. I'm a traditional archer so it would be with that gear. I feel with the attacks on our activities, hunts like this will become fewer in the coming years. I'm going to try to do this hunt in the next two years. After that it would be a pack in Elk hunt in Wyoming or Montana. Again with traditional equipment. I have 3 girls the oldest 13. My real dream would be to take them along. They have taken up the fishing stuff, but I'm still working on the hunting stuff.

Good Luck, Scotty

I've been to a couple places where waterfowl dreams are realized. Central Saskatchewan snow goose hunting and The Pas, Manitoba duck hunting. It's jaw dropping to see 3000 snows circle over your spread or see 300 bluebills lay their wings back and dive bomb the blocks.

If I could, I'd turkey hunt every state they exist.

For waterfowl it would have to be a few places. The grain fields of canada. A flooded timber hunt in Ark, then a sea duck hunt on maine's coast, then another one in Alaksa.
Bobwhite quail hunting in the deep south over English Pointers.

A friend of mine wants me to come out and go grouse hunting in New Hampshire next year. I don't really consider this a dream hunting trip but it should be fun if I go.