• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good Late Season Hunts?

Zimm

Had a good weekend 12-6-03. 4 guys 3 dogs and done in 5 hours Sat. Sun. 11 guys 6 dogs and done in 7 hours. All private land in SW Minn. Going back for the last weekend. How did everyone else do. We concentrated on the thick cover and willow patches. Zimm

Got out Sunday and Monday. One guy, one dog.
Got 2 birds before noon both days. Public land. Going out for more Thursday.

Got out 2 weeks ago. 2 guys, 4 birds in 3 hours. Best time out. We are going to go again this weekend. Taking Friday off and making it a long weekend.

KSW

We also did real good over the weekend, managed to fill both days for three guys, hunting sw mn. Seemed to be good numbers of birds, had a blast.

We hunted SW MN last weekend, first time I had ever been hunting wild pheasants. We had 2 dogs, the 1st patch we hit, I thought to myself ' 2 boxes of shell are not going to be enough '. Needless to say, lots of birds, 3 of us hunted until noon and we had our limit. Sunday came and we hunted until 3 before the 4 of us limited, we would have been done earlier if some of us could have shot better, I wasn't much good that day.

What a blast, I never knew pheasants were that smart, can't wait till next year.

Mike

I'll be out this weekend on pub land close to the cities, will report when I return. Hope the dog likes snow!

MN Mike, welcome to pheasant hunting at its finest! Next thing you know, you'll be getting a dog and start lusting for that trip to So Dak!!!

It should be a great weekend with the new snow in Southern Mn. Welcome MN Mike to the hunting page. I think you will be hooked like the rest of us. With the snowfall the catails and heavy cover should be good again. I was shocked last weekend to find the hens sitting so tight. The dogs caught them on the ground. It is so funny when we let them go and the dogs look at you like "What the he11 are you doing, I worked hard for that." I will report on Monday. I am only hunting Sat this weekend. Good Luck to all. Zimm

I was out by Brownton yesterday for most of the day. With the snow and wind, they were sitting tight. I was hoping to get into the cattails and track 'em, but they were not moving much. I put up 6 hens, all of which but one, got up within 5 feet of me. I chased a couple different roosters around, gotta love seeing that big ole tailmark dragging, but they were a bit smarter than me. Hit the trees and shelterbelts, but only put up one hen in that kind of cover. Cattails, cattails, cattails. If I were a betting man, I'd say tomorrow through the weekend are going to be about as good as hunting can possibly get. Just to rub a little salt into my wounds, I drove past a field east of Glencoe just about dark, and saw six fat roosters out feeding. Or were they laughing at me?
Flatlander