• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mn Public Turkey Hunting Land

WalleyeDundee

I have never turkey hunted before and would like to try it out next spring and need to pick my zone for my permit application.

Would anyone be willing to share a decent public hunting spot for turkey? I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

WD

Dundee,

Whitewater Wildlife Management Area in Southeastern MN, and Carlos Avery WMA near Forest Lake house a fair to excellent turkey population. Whitewater has the largest population with the most permit opportunities. However, that means more competition from other hunters. Carlos Avery has a decent amount of turkeys, but only 15 permits per season.

There are also several state forests that are open to turkey hunting. But, you would want to talk to the local CO to find the hunting boundaries within the land. Most Federal Land is open as well as any WMA within a turkey permit area.

If it's your first year, your drawing preference is very low. I would recommend applying for the later seasons. The hunting can be tougher, but you're out there and learning about the game. Time in the woods is more important than anything when it comes to learning the art of turkey hunting.

I am not even close to being an expert, but I'd be more than happy share my experiences with you. Shoot me an email if you'd like ([email protected]) or throw another post up here asking questions. I do know there are some very experienced turkey hunters amongst us at FM.com.

I'll be honest with you, I'll take one or two turkey hunts a year over fishing and any other hunting without question. That's how addicitve it is.

------------------
-----------
Ray Esboldt
www.marcumtech.com

R.E.:

Wow! That's a lot of great info. Thanks for the post.

I agree with your late season comment. I'm more interested in learning right now than anything. Considering this, I'm assuming it would be legal for me to go out a week before the first season (without a gun) and just sit for a while. This would probably be a good opportunity to learn the calls, turkey behaviour, etc. Do you agree?

I live in the NE metro so the Carlos Avery bit sounds attractive to me.

Hunting in public land (especialy Carlos Avery) has always made me a bit nervous. Can you recommend any safety tips. e.g. I've heard that if you get a turkey you should put a blaze item on it while you walk out of the woods so you don't get shot at. OR Don't use gobble calls. Any other ideas like this?

Starting from scratch is kinda intimidating. Thanks for you help.

WD

Hello,
When I walk to and from my turkey blind I usually wear some sort of orange until I get there. And when you get that Turkey it never hurts to put something bright on it especially on public land. I live in Rochester and have never hunted Whitewater but have heard great things. It is big and depending on how far you want to walk you can get away from other hunters. If you put in for the area up north and you are not drawn you do have the opportunity to purchase extra license for other zones and time peroids so if you don't get your first choice when the extra permits become available run to the ELS and get one. Down here in Rochester I have found that asking land owner especially southeast if you can hunt turkey has been pretty good. Hope this helps and good luck......

Dundee,

I always take a "practice" trip before the season. I just want to make sure I can sit still, get through the woods super quiet, make a bird gobble with a call, judge distances, etc. It's legal and a good idea. Plus, you'll want to use it as a scouting opportunity if you are unfamiliar with the land you'll be hunting or plan on hunting some season. Definitely do it before any scheduled hunts. You don't want to be messing up someone else's birds.

Blaze orange in and out is a good idea. Definitely do it if you're fortunate enough to sling one of your shoulder. Gobbler calls are a bad idea on public land. If you do encounter another hunter on the prowl, remain seated and don't move, in a loud clear voice announce "Hunter" until you get some kind of acknowledgement from the other hunter. I'm guessing No.4 shot doesn't feel reel good.

Like I said, feel free to email me if you're looking to get into it.

------------------
-----------
Ray Esboldt
www.marcumtech.com

[This message has been edited by Ray Esboldt (edited 11-30-2003).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Certainly feel free to go out and sit and listen. Avoid calling to the birds though as they do become call shy in pretty short order.

Sit watch and listen. A live hen will be a better teacher as to calling than any video or tape.

I hunt both private and public land each spring. If you are drawn for a permit you'll get a listing of those who applied for land owner permits. Get on the phone as so as you get it and see if you can get on some of these properties as well. They are supposed to let hunters on as a condition of getting preference as a land owner. But they can limit it based on the amount of property they have. I took my bird last spring on one of these properties.

Good Luck!

This is all good info. I think I'm going to try for Carlos Avery. At least for this year. That would make scouting and learning the sport much easier since it's close to home. If I get more serious about it, a trip down south is probably more likely to get a bird.

What are the esentials for turkey hunting? Camo, 12ga, slate call, compass. What else?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Any 12 guage will do with a tight choke. In fact, lots are shot with 20 guage guns. My first bird was taken with a 2 3/4" 1100 with a fixed full choke. Now I have several guns with screw in choke that give access to better chokes and tighter patterns.

I love fiction calls myself. They are the easiest for beginners to learn. Pick up a slate and a box call. With the slate get one with a couple of different strikes. They will make your call more versitile. A locator call like an owl or crow call also can be valuable.

The most versitile call will be the diaphram mouth call. They are also the most difficult to learn to use. Most folks gag on them for the first few weeks. They are great because you can use them with no movement and they aren't affected by the weather. Get one now and start practicing. Rent a few turkey hunting videos and you'll hear lots of calling to emulate.

Get some good camo. You'll need a cap, facemask, shirt/jacket, gloves and pants. Also pack along a blaze orange cap and/or lightweight vest to wear when you are moving around. Especially if you're carrying a bird out. Good boots are also important as we'll often cover some ground. Make sure the boots have brown or dark sole without red, blue or white on the bottom. Get a cushion or seat for your rear. That's the first thing to go as you sit for long periods of time. I love the H.S. Strut seat with the folding legs. Very comfortable and usually about $10. You'll also want a large fannypack, small back pack or hunting vest to carry your calls and stuff along.

Other thing I like to bring are: Compass, pruning shears, portable blind, decoys(only hen on public land),pocket knive, water, insect/tick spray, binoculars, orange game bag(for carrying out that big gobbler).

Us turkey hunters sure love our stuff! grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 12-03-2003).]

Avoid the whitewater public land if possible.Turkeys
become call shy real quick. Alot of people like to sharpen there calling skills before the season begins in the whitewater wildlife area.If you Knock on enough doors you'll find some private land to hunt in the southeast area.Also Whitewater area has less permits available then other SE zones plus and you can also get on some excellent state land with little or no pressure.