• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

hot slot

kwkfish..
I do agree with you about how fortunate we are to have such excellent walleye fishing on Mille Lacs, however.. as far as our children having the same enjoyment? I think not!!If nothing changes with the slot limit, we will be lucky to catch evan a few walleye next year or sooner! With the huge shortage of forage in the lake most of the fish will starve to death.(when was the last time you caught a perch?) After all,this is the only reason why people can go out and catch 20-60 walleyes a day. This tells me that the fish are starving! There is only two solutions for this problem..1- The DNR should stock the lake with millions of minnows for them to feed on. 2- The DNR should expand the slot in order to "thin the crowd" so that there is more forage for the remaining walleye to survive healthy.
Either way you look at it, it is the sole responsebility of our DNR to ensure that nothing happens.

I am just amazed at how much whining is going on about the great fishing at Mille lacs! If all you meat #### want is a meal you can buy it at any seafood shop or grocery store. sell the boat and you can buy walleye for life. Which would work better for you fish all day and catch and keep 4 fish or fish all day catch 40 50 60 and keep 3 or 4. let me tell you that is a no brainer for me!!!!!!! If you think the slot is bad it could be much worse. I lived in Alaska for 10 years and still guide there every summer. Here are a few of alaskas regs, Kenai river 2 king salmon per year (yes per year) most of the rest of Ak. 5 king salmon per year. Most streams on the road system only open from 12:00pm friday nite to 12:00 pm sunday nite. Many remote rivers no fishing from 10 tongue.gifm to 6:00 am (and its light all nite)So I think we should all appreciate the wonderful fishing that we are currently enjoying and realize that the slot limit is making Mille lacs a world class walleye fishery that hopefully our children and their children will be able to enjoy. hopefully the DNR won't have to resort to having it only open on weekends with no slot, or a yearly limit of 6 or 10 or ? with no slot. Think About It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-23-2002).]

i agree the bait fish is scarce all the walleyes i caught are super skinny that is why they are so aggressive to hit your bait and swallow the hook. plus you see alot of fish floating in mille lacs what a waste. the dnr tell us to cut the line if the fish swallows the hook are they gonna pay us for them jigs im not gonna throw my money away for a few indians to net the fish.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-23-2002).]

Jighed, Perhaps I misunderstood your post. Did I understand that you would rather rip the hook out of the throat of a deeply hooked walleye, guarentee it's death, verses cutting the line and losing a 40 cent jig or a dime hook? I'm willing to take issue if that's your stance. I don't agree with the present management of this tremendous resource. But I will continue to fish the resource responsibly. Gutting walleyes will not change the current situation. I fished saturday on the big pond for 5 hours. My partner and I caught 40+ fish 21 inches and up. Also caught several under the 14" mark. Only one of the 40 was thinner than expected. All we released quickly. Most were caught on circle hooks in the corner of the jaw. A couple had the bait deeper than I thought safe to remove the hook. I cut off three hooks and one jig. I would have done so if the hooks were $5.00 each. Enjoy the resource. Continue to question the DNR Management techniques. Practice CPR. Catch, Photo, Release! We don't have to agree with the DNR. We need to continue to push for changes! This is one of the greastest fishing resources on the planet! Treat her with the respect she deserves! Happy Hooking!! BIG JIM

With the walleyes biting as aggressively as they are there is no need to feed the fish any line. Set the hook immediately and the fish will hooked in the lips or corner of the mouth. Caught 30 fish in 3 hours and not one swallowed the hook. Missed only 5 bites.

My buddy just got back from Mille Lacs and they caught about 75 walleyes this weekend and he said they were all as healthy as ever. So whats with the people that say they are all skinny? Are they reading all this hype and warping there perception when they get on the water? Are they wanting to believe the fish are skinny so they have a reason to bitch? Another friend who was up there a week ago said hes never marked so much baitfish on his Lowrance.

I haven't noticed the fish being 'skinny'. I have noticed hooks in them, which I have some concern about. Especially if people have the attitude who cares, they'll die anyways. That will hurt everyone.
The lack of perch and tullibee are a concern - although I remember when they were abundant (like the 80's), you couldn't hardly buy a walleye.
It would be nice to understand the dynamics of the lake more fully, so it could be kept on an up cycle for fishing. Time will tell if the DNR is guessing right. No matter what they do, many will have better hindsight into what should have been done.
gte

I just can't figure you guys out. GO FIGURE. 30, 40, 80, how many fish can you justify!!! I will start siding with the natives if all the ammo you have is to call us whiners! Multiple hooks ARE common in these fish. So you eat at Red Lobster. So you have a $20,000 boat, good for you. What's the next HOT LAKE? Hey,I bet you say in the back of your mind, catch & release-no problem. I say you don't live close to here & you really don't care as long as it's all about you!

I just can't figure you guys out. GO FIGURE. 30, 40, 80, how many fish can you justify!!! I will start siding with the natives if all the ammo you have is to call us whiners! Multiple hooks ARE common in these fish. So you eat at Red Lobster. So you have a $20,000 boat, good for you. What's the next HOT LAKE? Hey,I bet you say in the back of your mind, catch & release-no problem. I say you don't live close to here & you really don't care as long as it's all about you!

Harvey & Gang, Hooks left in the fish will disolve in 48 - 72 hours. Fish have acids in their system that will quickly disolve the metal hook. If your catching fish with hooks in them, this is proof that CRP works! I don't refer to anyone concerned as a whiner. Channel your ideas and beliefs to the DNR. If we don't raise a stink no one will smell the problem,,,