• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Switching species

setterguy

I just read an article in The pointing dog journal about the transitions that dogs go through when switching birds ie; grouse to pheasants. Just wondering how your dogs adjust and if it is harder for pointing dogs than flushers. I know with the grouse opener a month behind us that my dogs will have some adjustments to make, such as being able to break a point to trial a running pheasant, something that I would not tolerate in the grouse woods, and being able to put a little more distance between us because of the different kind of terrain. Just looing to hear some responses on the subject. Does anyone have any methods that ease the transition? Good luck this weekend, I hope everyone has full crockpots come Sunday night.

Just get out and hunt. Dependent on their age and experience they've a good idea as to whats going on and hey they won't pick-up grouse scent on the prairie. It's about getting on the desired species for the first time this year and if, like your username indicates, you have setters which is also the only breed I've experience with) then you've undoubtedly used both grouse and pheasant wings in the past and seen the dogs reaction to one or the other (either way the typical reaction is analogous to that of a crack-addict seeing the object of their addiction).

Putt'em up and knock'em down this weekend!!!

I started hunting in 1994 for quail in Oklahoma and subsequently bought a setter the following year. I lived in Oklahoma until 2001 until moving to Fargo. Since there are no quail here, I started hunting for pheasants. Well, in Oklahoma, I let my dog run as big as she wanted, sometimes 4-500 yards. When we first started hunting for pheasants she ran big and would point birds but by the time I got to her the birds were gone. She finally figured out that she needed to stay closer and will stay within 100 yards now. Thats close enough for me, I'm still young and can jog over to her before the bird leaves. I do go back to Oklahoma every year, and to my surprise, I think she remembers and proceeds to hunt big again. When we come back to ND, she stays big for a couple hours and then remembers to shorten up. Only problem is that we're moving to Detroit Lakes and want to start hunting grouse so I need to figure out how to slow her down and keep her within 30-40 yards. We'll se how it goes.

Fisherdog

Fisherdog, no big deal she/he will pick-up the game. Like pheasant once she learns the ground rules for this bird she/he will be an allstar. Get some grouse wings from grouse and let her find them in the yard, the woods before you hunt, etc. Grouse are easier than pheasant as they generally don't run and flush nicely. But its the terrain that sucks it seems that as far as birds go you can just walk cutting trails but as most game-birds go sometimes you have to bushwhack to find food sources and nesting areas. It will be a question of how much time your willing to wait to allow her to acclimate to the new species. I recommend getting a really good bell (Dunns carries great swedish cowbells that are excellent) or beeper collars (annoying and noisy but very effective) and if you haven't already invested into and ecollar and received the proper training with it then you might also think about dropping 400 - 500 dollars on a good one and getting some good training on how to use it. Great tools

Putt'em up and knock'em down!!!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.