• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Labby

Grouse reports

I hunted some grouse with a friend over the beautiful weekend and it was the best hunting I have seen in over 10 years. North/NE of Detroit Lakes, Elbow Lake area.

We didn't hunt hard, just put some miles on ATV's and relaxed. Grouse were thick near every forest road. Didn't matter what time of day.

Dano2

Did you hunt Tamarac NWR at all, or were you hunting the state forests around Elbow?
I was thinking of heading up that away after some of these leaves start leaveing (HEH)

thanks

Not the refuge. The state and county forests just north of Elbow Lake. There are lots of small back roads off the main gravel roads. Hike those back into the aspen growth plots and you'll get birds. The grouse love to hang right close to the road, so walk slow and be quiet. wink.gif

kingkidfisher4431

e and my dad and my brother went out north of duluth not to far on a trail/road off of pequaym, in this warmer weather we were finding them on or near the roads like crazy, my brother shot his first grouse yesterday night on the road we walked in about the same spot and same road i shot my first grouse two or three years ago!!!we must have saw 7 birds 6 of which were on one trail and one on a different one, we only took one home though cause its still to thick to shoot!Well we know where well be hunting for a while!And they were all stuck in a half mile stretch of road!well hows every body else doing in the pequaym area?Seeing any?Were doin great up there forr the 4-5 times weve been out probably 30 birds!(weve seen)Well hows everybody doing up there?Still to thick? what are your numbers for birds shot and seen?
King,

kingkidfisher4431

hows every one doing?we saw 7 got one in 4 hours...we were north of duluth pequaym road!hows every one doing up there?what are your seen and shot bird counts?lets here em!

Dano2

so leave the dog at home then?

MNice

I was just south of elbow lake the week of Sept. 27 - Oct. 4. We just walked the trails off the rat lake trail and saw birds each time. Also hunted the snowmobile trail to the east of little bemidji lake and did well.

The dogs stayed home. A friend and I just wanted to do a little ATVing, camping and hunting on his land. My dogs and ATV's don't mix. smile.gif We didn't expect to do a lot of hunting, and the amount of birds we saw for the minimal amount of hunting was outstanding. Maybe we just got lucky?

The aspen (old clear cuts) forests were thick, even with a dog I couldn't have shot. Just walk the small forest roads quietly and you should get some birds. I rarely with hunt dogs for grouse. I walk slowly, sneaking through the woods, stop often and that's when the bird gets nervous and flushes. While sneaking I usually can see and hear the bird run on the ground before it flushes, so it gives me more time to react.

Pheasant hunting, that's a different story! You won't catch me without a dog.

[This message has been edited by CD (edited 10-08-2003).]

kingkidfisher4431

so hows everyone doing?went out hunting tuesday night when it was warm saw 6 birds on one trail and one on another in about two or three hours, we shot one of them actually my brother did in about the same spot i shot my first bird same trail he shot his first bird. well we went north of duluth off the pequaym road, hows everyone doing up ther?what are your counts?how many you seen?shot?well ask any question where i went might be able to help out! king,jake

kingkidfisher4431

so hows everyone doing?went out hunting tuesday night when it was warm saw 6 birds on one trail and one on another in about two or three hours, we shot one of them actually my brother did in about the same spot i shot my first bird same trail he shot his first bird. well we went north of duluth off the pequaym road, hows everyone doing up ther?what are your counts?how many you seen?shot?well ask any question where i went might be able to help out! king,jake

kingkidfisher4431

kingkidfisher4431

kingkidfisher4431

kingkidfisher4431

Coldfeet

It was a good week for hunting. I hunt west of Bemidji (about 30 miles) and here is the tally for this week:

Sunday: Saw 2 shot 2

Monday: Saw 7 shot 3 (my brother was with me, he shot 2 and I shot 1) Also one woodcock.

Tuesday: Saw 6 shot 4. (gave them to a friend at work who moved up here from Illinois about 5 years ago. He's never eaten grouse before (let alone seen one) so I thought I'd try to get him hooked. I haven't heard whether he's tried them yet.)

Wednesday: (saw 5 shot 5. These I gave to my mother-in-law. Peace offering.)

Thursday: did not hunt.

Dano2

lol king jake

kingkidfisher4431

sorry my computer was messed up and didnt send them right away so i thought i was sending none so i kept trying, but it turned out that it did send every single one, but they were all the same!sorry...well hows everyone doing?numbers seen?numbers shot?
sorry thanx, jake

thore

Hunted south of Park Rapids for the last
two weekends put up 45+ birds brought home
19 with three guys and two dogs, was just amazed. All the birds were young except for three, ran into a covey of 10 for the first time in three years. Going up again this weekend hopefully with another successful report
good luck grousing to all

kingkidfisher4431

we went out sunday morning really early and we thought is was calm clear and nice when we left at 6:30 in the morning and then when we were going up there it became windy so we got to a trail we were going to walk when we were on it a little ways up we heard one off in the doistance, and didnt think much of it, then we kept on walking and as soon as we got a little further up the trail i saw one sitting in the middle of the trail pulled up and put my bead on it then shot and i missed and it kept flying then we went to another road and were driving when we saw a huge one in the road, my dad and me got out loaded up and ducked way down and we got up there he shot than i shot than he shot again and it didnt go down but whent in a huge cicle and came right back over our heads than i shot once mor while he was still loading, then we chased it in the woods in a big circle and didnt see it at that point my brother got his gun walked strait up the middle flushed him and got his second bird ever, but i think we all contributated to its demise because he was wounded and acting funny when we found him and the meet was bruised from the long shots we took at him...it was fun and now theres two in the freezer!hows every one else doing north of duluth on pequaym road?number seen and numbers shot???? thanx!

kingkidfisher4431

we just got back from hunting north of duluth on the pequaym road on a little trail we like to call "Geven Trail". it was extremely windy tonight so we thought for sure the grouse would be hunkered down...or so we thought...we were driving down or trail when we saw the first one run up a bank and down, we pulled forward and went out in the woods while my dad stayed on the road and waited for me to flush it, then i heard it and it was running down a log in front of me through some folliage, BAM!!!i shot it ang dropped it, then a little ways down the road another one and we went out i flushed it and missed, we saw two more same way and on the way back down the road i spotted one on the rock and got out flushed it in clear cut and i missed and so did dad, then we saw one more on a off road to a shack and we kept going then got out my dad shot at it on the ground and got it, that was the two out of seven birds we saw tonight off pequaym on "Geven Trail".saw lots of deer... how is every one else doing north of duluth off of pequaym road on any of the trails?how many are you guys seeing?how many are you shooting?well were doing great and dont think the numbers are down at al!!!!but hows every one doing up there? Thanx for the input jake!!!

kingkidfisher4431

we just got back from hunting north of duluth on the pequaym road on a little trail we like to call "Geven Trail". it was extremely windy tonight so we thought for sure the grouse would be hunkered down...or so we thought...we were driving down or trail when we saw the first one run up a bank and down, we pulled forward and went out in the woods while my dad stayed on the road and waited for me to flush it, then i heard it and it was running down a log in front of me through some folliage, BAM!!!i shot it ang dropped it, then a little ways down the road another one and we went out i flushed it and missed, we saw two more same way and on the way back down the road i spotted one on the rock and got out flushed it in clear cut and i missed and so did dad, then we saw one more on a off road to a shack and we kept going then got out my dad shot at it on the ground and got it, that was the two out of seven birds we saw tonight off pequaym on "Geven Trail".saw lots of deer... how is every one else doing north of duluth off of pequaym road on any of the trails?how many are you guys seeing?how many are you shooting?well were doing great and dont think the numbers are down at al!!!!but hows every one doing up there? Thanx for the input,
jake

kingkidfisher4431

sorry about sending two but i had to change a few minor things, i forgot to spell check and revise, really sorry but how is everyone doing north of duluth pequaym area were obviously doing pretty good! #'s seen, #'s shot? Jake

kingkidfisher4431

HOWS EVRYONE DOING FOR GROUSE?I KNOW THAT THIS IS THE LAST WEEK BEFORE DEER SEASON, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT EVERYONES FAVORITE PART OF GROUSE HUNTING AND GROUSE SEASON IS?HOW IS EVERYONE DOING TO?ARE YOU GETTING BIRDS?ARE YOU SEEING BIRDS?ARE YOU EVEN MAYBE HEARING BIRDS?LOL!AS WERE STARTING TO GET INTO THE SEASON WHERE THE BIRDS GET SPOOKED FROM DEER HUNTING AND YOU CANT GET THEM AGAIN UNTIL ITS FREEZING COLD, THAT WOULD HAVE TO BE MY FAVORITE PART...AND THE DRIVING AND WALKING AND FIRST BIRD YOU SEE OR GET OF THE DAY...WELL WHAT IS EVERYONE ELSES FAVORITE PART OF THE GROUSE SEASON?AND HOW IS EVERYONE DOING?BEST OF LUCK TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD HUNT!!!!!!
JAKE

Last week before deer season?? Deer (firearms) season starts November 8th. You have more time!

kingkidfisher4431

just go back from hunting up off of pequaym, got two of them but gave them to my friend that was with us...whats everyones favorite part of grouse hunting?and how is everyon doing?numbers seen?numbers shot?
Thanks for the Input Jake

wishiniwerefishin

Any reports from the Roseau area? Heading up tonight, and was wondering if anyone has been hunting up there at all?? If not, i will be sure to post my findings on sunday night when i return. Good Luck to all

wishiniwerefishin

Just got back from roseau with no birds. Missed the only shot I had in 2 days, saw 2 total. Birds that we found were in the woods that still had visible berries, if that helps. Pretty bad conditions for hunting with no dog, windy and snowy. Still fun to get out, heard many good reports from other locals, most flushing up to 12 an outing. Good luck to all who go.

[This message has been edited by wishiniwerefishin (edited 10-27-2003).]

fishfearme

Just got back from Park Rapids last night. The birds were out everywhere! The fowl weather made Mon. and Tue. terrible but the grouse were out in full force yesterday. Had our 2 person limit in 2 hours. Ducks were really moving through and most of the small lake and ponds were froze over.

kingkidfisher4431

went out sunday morning saw 3 got 0...saw lots of deer though, they are really moving with early rut activity, and lots of dead ones two from poachers shooting them with rifles and leaving them there, sad!!!!!
anybody else been out?????