• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grouse reports

Labby

not trying to stir up the pot,how do you guys feel about a father and his two young kids out 4 wheeling.just enjoying time outside in the woods together?the kids are 4 and 7.also the kids cant wait until they can go hunting with mom and dad. thanks HEY your bobbersgone!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingkidfisher4431

• protrapper

• Fisher Dave

• Dano2

Bobbersgone, I'm about the most anti ATV guy you'll ever find, but if you aren't hunting on them and are just strolling along the trails in the woods without harming the terrain, I say, enjoy yourself. The minute you strap a shotgun on it, however, you become one of "them", and I want nothing to do with it unless your disabled. Just my self important opinion. Hunting is done on foot.

------------------
Erik

[This message has been edited by Redlantern (edited 09-18-2003).]

bobbers gone...

Be sure to pick up some cheap orange vest for your kids and yourself for obvious safety reasons... hats wouldnt hurt either.

Other than that have a great ride!

Even though the bird numbers are at a low, Minnesota is still the best place to hunt. The two of us hunted Saturday through Tuesday morning. We did pretty well. Believe it or not, on Monday we left camp at 7:40AM and both uf us had our limit by 8AM! All togeather we got 17 birds. The action was slower than previous years, and most of the birds seemed smarter. We saw alot of older birds. (Huge mounting type birds) We worked our butts off for them. The Monday morning limits were Sprucers. What an awsome weekend it was to be hunting in my favorite place in the world -WAY NORTH MN-
-NS-

You can go year to year. I'm talking about the over all picture. I've done well around the Chip. too. -NS-

We finally got one!!!!!!second weekend of the season and we were driving a dirt road going out to one of our spots, we were going 30 mph on the road when my dad says, there's one!! he saw it hop off the road into the brush we pulled 100 feet forward and parked, then we loaded the 12 gauges and i sent my dad out in the woods to flush him out to me... than all of a sudden there he is, i got him... my first bird of the year... hows everybody else doing???

Went grouse hunting this past weekend east of Bemidji and saw two, shot 0. It was nice seeing the dog work and to enjoy the fresh fall air.

Woodman

Do you actually eat those spuce grouse? I stopped shooting them because I do not like to eat them. Sure are pretty though! I have seen a fair number of ruffs but have only taken two that would not leave me alone. The sharpies have done well over the winter and there are some real good numbers up north, the huns seem to be coming back as well. Its fun to have a mixed bag when putting on the miles. The serious ruff hunting will begin in about two weeks for me. The cooler temps and less leaves make it much more fun for me. Although, its sure nice to feel that gun in your hands after a long Winter. Good luck all!

I have shot probably close to 75 vor more spruces in my lifetime. Only the older ones taste spruce like. The young ones you can't tell the difference. I eat spruce and ruff. I eat what I shoot.

I marinade sprucers in italian. Cook it like a steak because it tastes like elk and beef. On the grill with hickory- MMM -NS-

I do not want to stir the pot but some comments on this posting have me a little fired up. I guess I am "one of those guys who has a wheeler with a shotgun on it". I am one of those guys who might see a grouse on a dirt road in my truck and try to get it, I am one of those guys who uses a dog and walks trails, and I am one of those guys who walks alone down a old logging road.

I would be the first person to say that if someone is doing something illegal like throwing trash, using an uncased gun on an ATV, or being unethical and passing someone already walking the trail, turn them in or let them know they are doing something wrong.

I feel that some of us who use dogs or walk trails by ourselves think we are so much better than those with ATV's. Technically, we who use dogs have more in common with ATV hunters then we think.

Yes ATV's use gas, are motorized and cover two to four times more ground then walkers. Yes some people who ride them ruin roads, trails, or destroy trees or other grasses and shrubs. Yes sometimes they are unethical and pass people on trails when someone was already on the trail first.

BUT, and I am going to play devil's advocate here so ATV's aid in getting grouse because they cover more ground than walkers but what about a DOG! Why do we use dogs? To chase, to make them jump up, to track them, to retrieve them, to find them when they go down, to cover more area then you could by yourself.

So lets ban the ATV's what do you think is next? Is it fair to chase grouse with dogs? Some people might see this as an advantage that is unfair. You can't use a dog deer hunting, bear hunting, or moose hunting because it is not fair to the animals we are hunting. Using a dog is an advantage versus busting brush yourself.

I am not here to stir a debate. But we as hunters are sometimes our own worst enemies. I know there are people out there (the Anti hunting groups) who are proabably out there laughing at us because we are restricting ourselves. Once the ATV's go the anti's will want to pass laws saying things such as no dogs because they destroy the pristine woods or if dogs are allowed then you need to bring a pooper scooper and bag so the woods was the same way it was before we walked through there or say that chasing birds with dogs is cruel to the grouse and then should not be allowed.

My point here is if someone breaks the law turn them in. If someone is unethical let them know if you can. Last, be careful what you wish for. It may happen someday that ATV's will not be allowed than dogs might not be too far behind! That is my 2 cents.

Sorry Wobbler,

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I really miss the time spent in the woods before ATVs.

Joe

Hey guys, if you want to start an ATV thread, be my guest. But lets keep this one open for grouse reports. As far as my own report goes, went out Saturday, had three birds pointed, young dog screwed one up and the others didn't get a shot. Did have about 15-20 woodcock pointed though which sure was fun for me and the dogs.

Got 4 last weekend in north central MN. Missed about that many.
1 last weekend in north central WI
2 hunters. Birds are scarce. We had to put the time in.

Hunted in the Arrowhead with my fiance for 1.5 hours on Saturday. Flushed 5, got 3. So much for the MNDNR grouse count. They said the central part of the state there was 1.0 drums per stop, whereas the NE was 0.6 drums per stop. I hunted near Remer opening weekend and didn't get one, flushed a couple. Much better in the low drum count area.

I realize that the ATV issue has been beat to death, but I shot 3 grouse within 20 minutes after meeting an ATV on the trail. He had to drive right by them.

I went out 3.5 hours last Friday in the McGregor area.
I only saw 1 and I got him. (Gray phase).
I heard one other flush, but the cover was too thick.
It was a wonderfully cool morning, but a little too windy.

Good luck hunting!

I went out for the first time this past Tuesday. Got one within the first 10 minutes and then nothing. When I got home, my wife came out of the front door and told me she saw one land in the corner of our yard about 5 minutes before, so I took the shotgun over there to investigate. I flushed it, but it flew in the wrong direction, right towards the highway (about 50 yards away) and there were cars going by. Easy shot, but I didn't want to risk it. I'm seeing lots of birds, but most of them are this year's hatch. As far as the DNR reports about the numbers being down, I'm not sure, but I don't think that the ones hatched this past spring would be drumming yet. I saw many hens with large clutches of chicks this past summer. In my opinion, the numbers are going up and I'd even go as far as to predict that the drum counts will skyrocket next year if the winter isn't too harsh since this years hatch will be drumming for sure by next year.

Last sunday mornin I went out at about 7:30am
Hunted for 3.5 hrs. I flushed 15 birds on 5 seperate trails that I walked. Shot 4, the woods were still pretty thick, so it was hard to get a shot off. 3 of the 4 I shot on the ground. I hunt way north of GR and it seems like their are a lot of birds. I think it will be great fall. Most of the birds were in small, thick clumps of aspen. This time of year it is hard to decide wether to go fishin or huntin.
-BIG ISLAND DUDE

------------------
I never vote for, I alawys vote against

It may have been the molment, but bird shot at 50 yards will bounce of paper (if it even reaches it) Nice to see that there is someone out there that actually cares- If it were me, the bird would be in my freezer. Were you hunting in rush hour? Maybe I'm just selfish- Thanks for savin the bird for me! No- I hunt away from the BS- That's one reason I hunt. GL -NS-

NoodleSalad:

I have the fortune of living out in the sticks. The highway that runs by my house does not have all that much traffic. There just happened to be some cars going by. Rush hour traffic to me is about 10 vehicles per hour. To tell you the honest truth, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger cars or no cars. I guess they drilled those 10 commandments into my head pretty good when I took firearms safety training all those years ago.

Went up this morning around the Mcgregor area, hunted there for about two hours. Three birds pointed and three birds missed. Did get a couple woodcock out of there though. If I really liked to eat them I could have shot a lot more. Then we went west a little and had two more pointed birds, got one and missed another. I can't wait for the leaves to fall, maybe then some of the ruffies will too!!!

went out this morning north of duluth, walked for probably an hour or two on the roads before we got the idea of walking in the popple and aspen stands, and we saw two ruffies running on the ground cause it was so thick and two woodcock, man they are fast little birds, well to bad we didnt get any... have to wait till the leaves fall.

Real slow up my way. Hunted in rain on Sat. until duck openor. Saw one bird and it flew wildly away. Had snow shower late Sat. night and howling winds. Went out about 10a.m. Sun. hunted till 3p.m. Saw only one bird that dog put in tree went to shoot and ping dry fire and bird flew away. Leaves and ground cover are still real heavy. Need more frosty nights and wind to bring them down.

Funny how this grouse hunting works. Buddy went out with his girlfriend after work Thurs. evening and they got eight...

I took a quick walk about 1/2 hour before sunset last night in the woods behind my house. Saw one, shot one, but forgot that I had switched my chokes in my O/U 12 Ga. for trap shooting. The bird was 10 yards away and I hit it with the barrel that had the IC choke. I hate it when I get pellets in the meat, oh well.

"As men we must remember that we are the stewards of the earth.... and that all of God's creatures have their place.... right next to the mashed potatoes on a dinner plate."

Just returned from Colorado Archery hunting for Elk.

You wouldn't believe the Ruffed Grouse we encountered in the Aspen groves--all big and grouped-up in coveys of 6 or more.

Saw some nice Blue Grouse and Sage Grouse too. I was eating my heart-out while carrying my Bow the first day with no Judo-Points!

We managed to arrow a few for a meal.

------------------
Chells

Went squirrel hunting last weekend within an hour of the metro. I went squirrel hunting because the area isn't very good for grouse. Got the 2 squirrels that we saw. The thing is, is that my friends and I jumped 14 grouse in a 2.5 hour period without a dog. Boy does that suck when grouse are flying everywhere and you have a .22 in your hands. Beautiful flushes that I easily would of had too. You always seem to jump more grouse when your not hunting for them.(deer hunting)

We went out on the pequawm road last night to a spot we know of that always produces great, and at about 6:30 we came around a corner and one took off just to the side of the road, (no shot or so we said) then the other guy with me walked into the woods but didnt leave enough room between the oad and him, so a grouse flushed away from the road and another in the same spot so there was two of them out there, then we decided to keep walking thinking they might come out again, we came to a popple stand that had always done good the last few time(seeing birds) and we flushed two woodcock i shot at the first one and missed cause they are so fast and ducked under the tree in front of me taking away my shot, we chased that one some more and we think we flushed the same one again but could have been different, but the other guy with me had a clear shot but must not have had any pellets in the bullet... didnt see the two grouse on the way back, must have been spooked from our woodcock shots....

Hunters in the Kelliher-Waskish area have been having mixed results this past weekend. Some seeing many birds others seeing a few if any. My report is based on the info I've been getting from outdoorsmen getting supplies at my parents general store in Kelliher. The Fall colors are at there peak right know, and the weatherman predicts a beautiful week in northern beltrami county (Highs in the low 70's). Time to hit the trail myself. Good luck and stay safe. Mark Bieganek