• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Youth Pheasant day?

BDR

I've seen that Iowa and S.Dakota have youth days before the masses hit afield. Is there a good reason MN doesn't?

I think that there shouldn't even be these youth hunting days. IF they want to hunt, then let them come out with the rest of us on opening day so you can both share the excitement. Also, I have heard of Dad's just taking there kid's out and then the Dad shoots all the ducks to "show them how it's done". I didn't have a youth waterfowl day when I started and don't see why we have one today.

I think (heh, thats a mistake)
that if MN doesn't have one for pheasant, maybe its becasue the pheasant hunting in MN isn't all that great, thats just a thought, I could be wrong, this will be my first year giving it a try myself, since about 12 years ago.

I think it IS a good thing to have for the youngsters, that way they can go out when theres not a whole mess of other hunters around, then ofcourse you've got your SLOB hunters as folks call them, I wouldn't want to take my kid out to be dissapointed and have his hunting recked by a bunch of idiots, that'll just take the interest away.
just my opinion ofcourse.
thanks

I don't like the youth days either. Go with you're parents/gaurdian on opener. The way we all did it and it works. Too many crooks abusing it in my opinion.

I'm pretty new to the site, and am a very avid hunter and a father. Here's my 2 cents.
Youth hunting days are great. They are more than great. Every state should have one. A youth pheasant hunting day, as stated by someone previously, probably doesn't exsist in MN because the bird population is not much good since the big CRP acreages disappeared 10 years ago. Honker and Zippo, you are right, there are undoubtedly violators out there that abuse a priviledged, fun, family directed hunting day. However, every sport has a few a**holes that ruin it for everyone. I am an avid snowmobiler, and the sport is always fighting legislation aimed at a few bad eggs and not at the masses. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but no doubt there are way more good guys than bad guys when it comes to kids hunting days. I have many good friends that live in Iowa and take their sons and daughters afield for a great day.
End of my sermon. Everyone have a fantastic and safe upcoming hunting season! And when you see those bad eggs afield, don't forget your right and duty to call the TIP line!

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

I would be interested in knowing if those against a youth day have young children. Now I don't know the ages of anyone on this board but I know in my short life (I'm 27) I have seen the pressure on public lands increase for all species of game. I think that it will only do good for the sport to have a day or two a year that kids can go out, without the crowds and focus on saftey and learning about their game. Your right, we didn't have a youth day, but wouldn't it have been great if we did? I know that there are guys that are abusing the system, there always will be, its just a fact of life. Lets just not make the rest of the kids suffer because of a few a-holes.

Interesting responses thanks. I am all for youth days. I think with all the horror stories I read of the regular waterfowl opener's and "slob hunter" it is enough to turn off adults from the sport let alone a new comer.And Pheasant opener is getting crowded as well.
I do have 4 kids and my oldest is in firearms training now. I will really enjoy taking him to S.D. for his first pheasant hunt,only $25 for kids and 2 days just for them. It will be a perfect situation for safety and learning as all my attention can focus on him and my dog.

p.s. If I new directly of any "dad" doing the shooting I would not hesitate to call TIP!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.