• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which Shotgun?

About to purchase my first shotgun. Looking for opinions between a Beretta 390 Urika and a Wingmaster. I can get the Beretta for $499. I think the Wingmaster is a little less. I've heard great things about the Wingmaster. The Beretta is discontinued. They have a new model 391 for about $800. Would appreciate any advice. I'll be hunting pheasants the majority of the time.

I've had my wingmaster for 18 yrs. now, the same gun all those years. The wingmaster has my vote.

I OWN ONE OF THE FIRST REM 1100 3IN MADE I ALSO HAVE A 1100 20 GA GOOD PHEASENTS AND DUCKS.

Every year on the forum here shotgun subjects come up.. Everyone has their preferences... it seems just about as many people rely on their wingmasters and love them.. to nearly all other models combined.

You cant go wrong with a wingmaster. There is not a more dependable shotgun in the field. I own 3 of them, including the 1st one I ever shot when I was 5 years old... it drops birds as well now as it did then(25 years of hard use later).

I have both the guns you are thinking about. My Wingmaster was my first shotgun about 5 years ago and has served me well, it is hard to beat that gun.
I just bought a Beretta 391 Urika last week, because it is so new I can't give an detailed report on it but I shot 2 rounds of sporting clays through it and it is ranking right with my Wingmaster.
Also check out Joe's they have the Urika 391 in a wood stock for 649.00. This probably doesn't help to much because I like both the guns you are talking about, either one you'll have forever.

[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited 08-20-2003).]

Go with the Wingmaster! Autos are a lot of fun but if this is your first shotgun I think for safty sake (if nothing else) the Remington will do just fine on the long tail poultry. My Guess is that as your shooting proficiency gets better you'll probably want a lite weight 20ga.! Then think auto.

------------------
Old Guide Charters
Lake of the Woods
http://fishingminnesota.com/oldguidecharters/
Call Toll Free:1-800-952-(9484)

Thanks for the advice. Fisher Dave, I miss your good reports on Metro Lakes. I will probably go with the Wingmaster in a 16 or 12 guage. I looked up some info on the Remington website last night. I haven't been pheasant hunting in 15 years. My best friends dad used to take me hunting a couple of times a year growing up. My first time hunting he took us to South Dakota. First time ice fishing was on Lake of the Woods. Man was I spoiled. Bought a golden retriever this spring, and so far things have been going really well. He may be ready for a couple of short hunts later this year.