• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN Pheasant Population

jeffyo45

I'm sure alot of others saw the report on the inside of the back page of Sunday's sports page that said farmers and other land owners are seeing lots of pheasants in the west, west-central and south central part of the state. Now is the time I start to get ringneck fever. I have been tuning up my 16 month old lab (my first dog ever) for his first "real season." Now I just need the game farms to open to see if he remembers what they smell like.

Any MN farmers or landowners that can confirm seeing more birds this year? The mild winter and fairly dry spring should have helped alot.

Going to the game fair on Friday to feed my addicition even more. Anyone else as excited as I am.

OH YA! Iam too. I called up the motel about a week ago were I'll be staying when hunten opens, and the owner said he hasn't seen as many pheasant s in YEARS as this year, when just out driving the country roads.
I've been out shooting clays a couple times, and been starten to get the dog in shape.
she'll be two in October, hopefully she can show me a little more interest in it, than she did last year. The Hunten preserves will be open real soon around here, I plan on getting her there atleast once a week before the opener. A bit spendy, but I dont look at the cost when it will help her.

My father in law works in hancock by morris and he says there is more pheasants than he has seen in a long time in that area. I also saw quite afew in the Glenwood area this weekend while traveling to SD. Adam

Yep, I am going out in the morning to let the dog run a bit and do a little scouting.
I usually bring the gun with too incase I chase up a nice rooster, AAAAAAHHha HA, just joking ofcourse.
But i like to bring it with a blast a few shots off around the dog, keeps her use to it, I usually bring her with when I shoot clays as well.
Anyone know if its illegal to be carrying a shotgun with when walking about, on public hunting land during the off season?
I have never gotten in trouble for it, but have never bothered checking either.
thanks

Dano

You can carry a shotgun, but you can't carry live ammo. It is ok to shoot poppers (blanks). I would not take live ammo with you at all before the season starts. Obviously once small game opens you can but I wouldn't until then.

Lots of birds around. I hear even more in Iowa. I have been seeing young birds every morning on my way to work. Anyone sure when a guy can let the dog out to work on some before the season. It seems like it is the 1st of September but I am not sure. It wouldnt hurt me to get out and stomp around a little too!

Labby,

You are free to take the pup out now. You can start going into public hunting areas in the middle of July. I have already had mine out once. Only put up 2 birds in 1/2 hour. Not sure if the birds were in the corn or if it was too hot that the dog wasn't scenting very well. I haven't been able to get out and scout yet, but soon. It's got to be a good year! Need to keep the 16 month old pup excited.

I wouldn't think that there would be any problem shooting live ammo, you're dog training. Just don't get caught shooting in the direction of any birds. And if you're on a Waterfowl Production Area, make sure its steel shot.

The regulations say on public hunting areas from April 15 through July 16 that dogs needed to be on a leash. They also say the use of live ammunition or blanks are not permitted while dog training. Even from blank pistols or dummy launchers. I would guess that out of season if you have your dog with you on public hunting land that they would consider that dog training. So be careful if you are going to disobey the rules and fire off some shots. Don
t get caught is what I'm trying to say.

Here in wcmn the numbers are up. Stay mobile if you dont find birds. Couple dicourageing thoughts, there was big hail storm from just west of Ortonville to just east of Danvers that runs along HWY 12. That hurt the population of the first hatch. Most renested but they will be small birds alot of chicks just 3 weeks old.
Due to the high numbers of soybean aphids alot of farmers are spraying there fields with Lorsban and that will take out quite a few aswell. If you have seen numbers of birds in farm country rescout here in a couple weeks and keep a eye on them I will almost bet you will see less. It seems like we can never have a year with out some problem. Finally got a decent winter and spring. And know we have heavy Chemical application late in the year.

GoodLuck there are plenty of birds