• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New pup update

J Rookie K

Well its the 3rd day with the new pup. He is doing good, and is fun to have around. He is responding to "come" pretty well with out a lead. I think "no" is going to be a little harder. House breaking is going super. "Stay" is starting to kinda work. Barron is his name, and he will be 14 weeks old tomorrow. The breeder started nim on retrieving, and he desires the chase. I took some rooster scent and dropped some in a trail to a dummy in some waist high cover. He had no trouble finding it, and even brought it back. Ive noticed he has some selective hearing. Sometimes Ill call him and he wont even look at me. The hide and seek game works 50% of the time, he must be somewhat independent. Hunter my Chessie, seems to be warming up to him. A little bit ago they were roughin around and Barron was holding his own. When I made Hunter lay down, Barron wasnt done yet. Now what I was wondering is when will he start to point? The breeder said they just know how to do it, and he will stay very still to look at something, but didnt stop when cuoght the scent, or the dummy. Ill have to get a book this week, and do some research. Thanks J Rookie K.

Just wondering could that be a bad thing to do with a pointer at a young age?

Hiding things in the weeds, will that teach him to pick up a scent grab it and retreive???
That seems like it would be the worst thing to do if you want him to point.

But I am no pro at this just curious...

I have a pointer as a pup we would run the dogs in the weeds and they just knew how to point. They would pick up a scent and stop dead in there tracks even when they were real young.

We would play fetch in the yard when working on retreiveing but he watched the dummy fall, we never threw it in the weeds.

After his first dead bird we played fetch in the weeds with the bird but again he always watched it fall.
(we never hid anything and made him retreive)

curious???

I sure there are more qualified folks that can offer pointer tips but this is what we were told to do. Tie a bird wing to 8-10 of fishline attached to pole or long (stiff) fishing rod. "Fly" the wing around in circles and the dog will chase it, don't let them catch it. After a couple circles, drop the wing to the ground, the dog should freeze but will probably break. As soon as they break, "fly" the wing away so they cannot catch and then drop it again. After that, consult a good pointer book for teh next steps in pointer training.