• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need Started Dog

Bird Dog

I am trying to help a friend out.He just recently had to put his old Brittany down.
He is looking for a started Dog,so that he does not have to go through the puppy stage and he just does not have the time to devote to properly train it.He would like to stay with a pointing dog,because he mainly hunts Grouse.The dog would also have to be good with kids and be a good house dog.Hopefully this is a enough information and someone can help him out.

Thanks Bird Dog

How much is he looking to spend? I know of a couple started dogs that meet his requirements but are going to run around 2000.00. If you think of all the shots and training and food that have gone into a dog thats 2yrs old its probably a bargain. Let me know.

I will have to get a idea about what he is looking to spend.I do agree with you on adding up the cost of food,shots,training,etc.I am sure that he may have a hurdle to get over with the better half.She is having trouble coping with
the loss of there dog.I think that maybe she is afraid to get another dog and have to go through that process down the road again.What breed of Dog do you have availible?

Thanks

Bird Dog

Well I know of about 4 dogs that are all 1 1/2 to 3 yrs old that point grouse. They range is price from 1750-3500. Two are english setters and two are english pointers. The problem that you run into with a request like this is if someone has a dog that points grouse consistently, why would they get rid of it? The only reason that I can think of is that they trial and the dog might not run big enough for them. Personally I wouldn't sell my grouse dog for anything. If you find a dog that can handle wild grouse in Minnesota and not make mistakes, its worth its weight in gold. A place to check out is this site http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/ This is a forum for grouse trialers, and like I said earlier you may find one that didn't quite make it on the field trial circut, but make a real nice dog. Wish your buddy luck. Finding a started grouse dog for a reasonable price is tough in these parts.

[This message has been edited by setterguy (edited 07-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by setterguy (edited 07-17-2003).]

Thanks for the information Setterguy.I will pass it along to him.

Thanks Again

Bird Dog