• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

English Setter vs. French Brittany

Ok, I have narrowed my search for my first pup down to either an English Setter or a French Brittany.

Here are some things you should know before giving me your opinions.

I plan to use this dog primarially for grouse hunting, but probably a few pheasant trips each year. I want to spend no more than $400 for a female pup and would like a pup some where in the Feb-April 2004 time frame. This will be my first pup and my first experiences with a pointing dog, I have some experience working with labs, but none with pointing breeds.

So knowing that information, what would you suggest?? I would also like some information on breeders in the state that may be planning litters in this time range.

Feel free to e-mail me at either address:
[email protected]
or
[email protected]

Grabs, I have a male Lab and a male Brittney. My Brittney is 8 now and is a great bird dog, he pointed his first ruffie at 7 months, intinctive flash point. Worked his training thru books and with the help of friends. He loves the woods and hunting Ruffies, but really shines in CRP looking for Sharptails. I have shot dozens of birds I would have walked right by without him. Brits are somewhat high strung/energized and need lots of space in a yard or excersize. I have owned dogs all my life except for a stint in the Army. My Brit is a very gentle, loving dog, and is excellent with kids and other dogs. Even at 8 years old he is GO GO GO though!!!

Fisky

Grabs-

You and I have chatted over email a few times so I will breakdown the differences in breeds for you and anyone else in here that cares to read them. As always these differences are generalizations and of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

Size: Field bred setters are going to run a little bigger than the French Brits, Females usually somewhere in the 35-42 lb range, a female Brit will weigh considerably less, probably somewhere in the 27-35 range. In the grouse woods this is great, pheasant hunting can get a little tough for the smaller dogs.

Range: Setters tend to run a little bigger than the Brits, this freaks some people out but if your dog is well trained I see nothing wrong with having a dog out 100 yds or more in open country, they should tend to tighten up in thicker cover but are still going to be farther out than the Brits.

Intelligence: Advantage Brits, this not always being a good thing. Personally I would rather train a dumb dog every time. Smart dogs take what you teach them and add thier own "personal touches" on to the training, to either do it faster, easier or not at all. Again it all goes to personal preference.

House dog/ Outside dog: Pretty much the same either way I think. The Brits may not shed as much inside. I shave my setters down in the summer and have very little hair on the carpet or my clothes. The setters may be able to handle the outside a little better just because they have more body mass.

Temperment: I havn't been around enough Brits to make an accurate statement here so I'll just tell you about the setters, inside they are very calm, they like to lay around and are very affectionate. They love kids, and in my many experiences (Contact with 300+ setters), I have never seen a mean one. Not to say I haven't seen a fight or two, but I would let my kids go right up to all that I have seen.

Hunting ability: I would have to give the edge here to the setters, there have just been that many more that have proved themselves in various trialing situations. Everyone always thinks they have a great dog, trials give you a way to back it up and compare your dog to others of the same age class. Agian these are broad answers to a broad question.

IMO I think you have narrowed your search down to the best possible breeds for grouse hunting in Minnesota. You probalby couldn't go wrong with either breed. I just think that you have a much better chance of getting a good dog if you have more choices. There just aren't that many guys breeding the French Brits. I think that speaks volumes.

I hope this helps and I am still trying to get a hold of that guy for you, if you need any more info you know the email address.

Setterguy

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.