• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weimaraners

tomahawk

Does anyone know of any weimaraner breeders that have decent hunting dogs? My wife is absolutley positve that this is the dog for her! We have always owned britnys or shorthairs and actually have had great luck with both,but now are trying weimaraners ...if we can only find one! I dont want to buy one because the breeder tells me they are great bird dogs I want someone who has purchased one to tell me they are great bird dogs. Thanks for any help at all!!!

Just my .02 but, the two I hunted behind found birds alright. That was after they got into fights with the other dogs, chewed up the interior of one owners truck, and bit one hunter when the dog decided he wanted to keep the bird. Oh yeah, my biggest grouse of the year crushed to mush with one fatal crunch of the jaws. Bad trainer, bad day, or bad dog? They're built like a tank and all but do some breed research before you decide. I'm biased from hunting behind three excellent Brits for the last five years.

I've had the same experience chunky had. This male was real stronge headed and did'nt listen at all to its owner. That could have been the owners fault. The most feared dog on my paper route as a kid was a wiemer(grey ghost) chased and bit anything that came into turf. It might have just been a bad one,but I would check it out.

This is just my opinion and observation so do with it what you will. I have been around pointing dogs for a long time, I have studied them, trained them, judged them and talked to endless numbers of trialers, breedres and owners, I'm not claiming to be an expert just informed. Weimies in recent years have gained in popularity. Because of this demand for the dogs there has been a lot of breeding, and with that comes a lot of uninformed breeding which results in sub-par gene pool which in turn creates sub-par dogs with defects. Whether it be hearing, temperment or inability to hunt, once you introduce that many unfit dogs into the breeding pool you are going to have problems.
Exapmles of this in recent history are the Gordon Setter, Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever and in the non-huntin category Dalmations. Most of these dogs were bred because of the way they look and not the way they perform in the field, which is the case now with the Weimie. I am not in any way saying you can't find a nice dog that is going to be able to hunt, I'm just saying that I would be very, very careful. I would sit down and decide what is important to you and your wife in a dog, is it the way it looks, or the way it behaves. Then do lots and lots of research. Good Luck on your search.

My experience with them is the same as chunkys. The ones I know of(2) have been bull headed. The most feared dog along my paper route when I was young was a wiemer(gray ghost). He would chase and bit anything or anyone that came into his area. They might have just been bad ones but I would check there temperment out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all of the insight.I have talked to only one person who owns one and he seems to have gotten a good one.Im sure its the result of careful and precise breeding.I sure hate to gamble on a ten year plus commitment. I wont fix it cuz it aint broke.Got my 3rd shorthair today.....let the wife pick it out.Shes happy and so am I!!

Tomahawk, congrats on your new hunting partner!! Good choice and timing, The pup will be a great learning age for the upcoming season.My GSP learned alot at 7-8 months old as the season started.

• 4 months later...

Tomahawk,

The choice of the GSP was a good one. I think I would fall under the same category as your friend in which I truly enjoy my weime and she has worked out as an excellent hunter. She has been wonderful around the kids and at the same time been very good out in the field. Like other types of dogs, i feel it is a mix between the trainer and luck on how the dog turns out, not the breed itself. Good luck with your GSP. my .02 cents

[This message has been edited by STILLNOFISH (edited 07-30-2003).]

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.