• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Electronic Dog Collars

I am in the process of purchasing an electronic collar for my dog. The dog is a Weimaraner. I am curious if anyone has good/bad/ugly stories to tell of different brands of collars that they have experience with? Thanks!

I have a tri-tronics collar for my dog. I went with the tri-tronics because I heard good things about it. The first one I had I had to send back because the transmitter stopped working. It was on the fritz from the day I bought it to the day it finally quit. They sent me a whole new set and it has worked fine since then.

Go with a Dogtra. This is a great collar. A lot of the pros are using them and it's a lot smaller than the Tri-Tronics. I had a tri-tronics and it worked alright but it finally just blew out from wear and tear. Here is the website. http://www.dogtra.com/

Dogtra or TriTronics are the industry leaders. Whatever you do, stay away from Innotek. Had one for a couple years and was nothing but trouble - have done my homework and found that's to be expected with Innotek - many people with the same stories.

FYI - if you're looking to keep the price down, you may want to check out http://www.collarclinic.com/ - new and reconditioned stuff with decent prices.

Good luck in your decision.

I just bought an Innotek collar and so far I have not had any problems with it. But I have to admit I have not used it much. The reason I went with it enstead of the others was the size of the tranmitter and the over all cost.

Does Range really matter that much? If I am pheasant hunting and my dog gets out 35 yards in front of me I want him back now anyways...so if he won't heel at that point is anything going to turn him after a mile of chasing a deer or birds running in corn rows?

Thanks for all the great feedback thus far. It has been a great help in determining, especially since I had not even looked at the Dogtra brand.

Both my dad and I have been running a TriTronics since 1994 and 1996 respectively. Not one problem between them and a ton of hard use. One thing I would REALLY stress is to get a tone. I would not even consider buying any collar that did not come with a separate tone (or vibration) feature.

I've had an Innotek for a couple years and it's been mostly reliable. Little things go wrong here and there with the transmitter and collar not communicating sometimes. It had more features for the money than Tri Tronics. If/when I get my next one, I'll definitely check out the other brands. I think it's a Ford/Chevy type thing.

I believe in not using sound or vibration on a collar. I think that if Fido doesn't listen to a command - he should briefly know it - and then move on. I try to use the e-collar only when really needed. The most important thing is to teach Fido is "sit stay come" on a leash. Then "re-enforce" what he's learn with the collar.

Why/how should I be using the tone feature?

My 2 cents.

I use tone all the time while pheasant hunting. Late season rooties get very wise to shouted commands, whistles, and yelping dogs. I use the tone to get the dogs attention and then control by hand signals.

I have owned all three brands, Tri tronics, Innotek and Dogtra. The only one that hasn't been back the the manufacturer is the Dogtra. If you are serioulsy considering purchasing one contact me, I can get the collars at a little discount. (Tri tronics or Dogtra). Go ahead and send me an email if I can help you out. [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Innotek. I had on episode where the beeper quit working. They sent me a new one in 3 days. My advice is get one with a beeper so you can hear where they are when they go on point. I run my GSP with a cowbell and the beeper (which can be controlled from the transmitter-very nice feature).

I have had two Innotek collars, and both had to be sent back several times. Finally I just gave up on them. This was a few years ago. Maybe by now they have changed some things to make them less prone to malfuntion. It was enough, however, for me to never buy Innotek again. Good Luck on your training!

Hey SetterGuy, do you know where I can get an antennae for a Tritronics Judge? Thanks.

HB

I have a Dogtra collar and it is a good one. I did have to replace one because it got water in the collar because I do not think I had the AC adapter plug all the way in. But Dogtra was absolutely awesome in replacing it with a brand new one. Awesome folks.

The nice thing about my collar is that the transmitter is very small. It is about the size of two shotgun shells and has a laynard that goes around your neck so you it is hardly a bother. It is not waterproof, but the colar is.

The electrical shock is adjustable just like a volume control so it is very easy to turn it up or down. And there are two buttons...nick and constant. If the dog needs a reminder, nick. If the dog is not listening, constant, until she turns around. None of this holding two buttons stuff.

The distance it works is 1/2 mile. I would not spend the money or bother with the 1 mile colars. The transmitter on those is bigger, thus more of a hassel, and if your dog is over a half mile away from you, you got problems buddy. If they are a quarter mile away, you need to start wondering. The goal of the colar is to keep them in close to you and under control. I always say: the best thing about an e-collar is that you are always in control of the dog. When a guy is chasing his dog down the fenceline because a bird is on the run, the dog is in control. Not fun.

I highly recommend ensuring your dog know the basic commands and then having a couple of training sessions with a professional trainer on how to use it. Give the guys a call at Cannon River Kennels down by Randolph. They will take good care of you.

If Mike Lardy uses the Tri-Tronics that all I need to know. If you have the chance to see a Lardy video or read one of his Volume books his e-collar conditioning is good stuff to know. I like the Tri-Tronics 200. I also believe there are more pro's using the Tri-Tronics than anything else.
TAKE A KID HUNTING & HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

Harm-Bear,

I lost my antenna this year for my tri and got a replacement at cabelas $25

I have used a few differnt collars and by far my favorite is tri tronics, I run a GSP and I have a collar with a beeper for upland hunting the beeper is a must! (Not fun trying to find a dog on point in a corn feild)

My collar has five differnt settings 1 2 3 4 5 then two black buttons and one red- low, medium, high. So you dont have to fry the dog to get his attention, works great 3rd year haveing this one and not a problem with it.
Just make sure your antenna is tight LOL you lose alot of distance without it.

Good Luck
Brian
http://www.geocities.com/wish_i_was_fishing2002

[This message has been edited by B Sander (edited 01-25-2003).]

I use my tone all the time instead of voice commands. The less noise you make roody hunting the better. As was stated, late season rooster will fly from a long ways when they hear you--imagine the ones you never see. I HATE hearing people yell commands at their dogs-whether they listen or not. It is much more enjoyable to just push the green button, have the dog look back and either use a hand signal or continue with the tone and have the dog come to you. I cant think of any reason to not have one. Even if you still want to voice command your dog--you can. If, however, there comes a time when you dont want to use voice commands-and I bet after you use it, this is most of the time-you can then go to tone or vibrate.

Harmonica Bear, sorry for the delay, I haven't checked this thread out for a while. I could check on it for you. Is it the antenna for the collar or the transmitter? Are they the same? I can't remember. Check out www.collarclinic.com they deal in a lot of used collars and might have just what you are looking for.

Codydawg please don't take this the wrong way but I find it really hard to believe you can go into the field and NOT use voice or whistle commands. If you nick the dog to come in, how do you send him on a blind? At some point you have say heel or here, or blow the come in whistle.

Thanks Setter guy - I'll check them out, also I'll see what cabela's has to offer. I think the antenaes are the same if I remember right.

I believe that the collar that I use is the same as what Sanders was describing and I have not had a problem with it at all I did send it in once for new battery packs during the nine years that I have had it.On my unit the collar and transmitter antennas are
interchangable.One thing that you may want to consider b-4 purchasing a collar is the fact that some units are not servicable because the electonics are encapsulated in a
material.(Best described as an epoxy type substance).So if it breaks down out of warranty you will have to buy a new component

Bird Dog

Duckbuster, the green button is tone only. Sounds like Cody uses his exactly like I do. You need to teach the dog that the tone replaces the come in whistle or voice command. I don't use this with young dogs in the midst of training but with seasoned dogs. Deadly tactic on late season birds.

duckbuster, green is tone only and if I make it a solid, continues tone it is the come command. Just a beep and my dog stops and looks at me. This is for upland hunting, not water chickens (sorry, couldnt resist). I really do spend hours at a time without commands. It is especially effective when hunting big areas, I just let the dog go where she wants, tone her if she gets a little far or if i want her to inspect a bush or something, etc. My dad does this as well and it is deadly effective on late season roosters. Of course roodys still bust wild on you, but you slip on more than if you are yelling or whistling for sure.

CodyDawg don't go makin fun of my passion for the whistlers. I get as excited hearing those wings whistle as much as you get out of hearing that GOD FORSAKIN CACKLE. HA HA Just kiddin. We all have our loves for the sport. I do pheasant hunt just not that often. I just have a hard time going up to peoples house and ask for permission. My buddies uncle owns like 1,300 acres in the mitchell area and he ask me to go every year but I just can't give up a weekend up at our hunting shack. There is alot to be said about camp life. WAY WAY to many laughs and memories!!!

I have a Tritronics Pro 500. I used it daily for training and it got very hard use this year duck hunting and pheasant hunting. My definition of hard use is at least 30 min daily, and I don't know how many actual hunting hours this year but I can say we hunted geese, ducks, pheasants, and partridge and most birds we hunted in five states MI, WI, MN, IA, and ND. So far it has not had any bits of trouble. However part of the reason I went with tritronics was because of the excellent customer service reputation. I have had several friends who have had issues (some caused by the user) with Tritronics collars and Tritronics has sent them "loaner" collars while thiers is being repaired. Tough to beat a manufacturer that provides support like that. Just my two cents...

chow

• 3 weeks later...

duckbuster,
If I could hit those water chickens mebbe I would hunt them more. I really dont like the taste of them either, so I stick to the explosions of color that are roosters.