• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

English Springer's

The wife has given me the green light to get a new dog. I am thinking a ESS field dog and wanted to know if anyone could recomended breeder in MN.
Also can you own one of these with out having chronic ear issues?
Thanks !

If you are looking for a good Springer send me an email at [email protected]. I am currently involved in both hunting and AKC Licensed Field Trials with Field Bred English Springer Spaniels. One thing you will want to keep in mind when looking for a Springer is the difference between the Field Bred Springer and the "Bench" or Show Springer. There is a huge difference yet technically this is the same breed of dog. The show people are breeding all of the Field Instincts out of Springers. I currently own 3 males, two of which are some of the top Field Trial dogs in Minnesota. I can point you in the right direction to some Breeders that you will get a great dog from. A great resource for Springers is www.essft.com. And if you any questions about Springers feel free to send me an email. The website for the breeder I would recommend is http://www.sandcreekspaniels.homestead.com/

Please feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have, I would be happy to assist you!!

P.S. Regarding the ear issue, I think this is more of a myth than anything. Two of my dogs are 8 and one is almost 3 and I have never had an ear issue yet and these dogs are outside dogs. I hear of very few issues with infections and things with the ears.

[This message has been edited by Mille Lacs Guy (edited 12-30-2002).]

My brother in-law got one a few months ago from a guy in S.D. that has breed them for awhile.
$200 and the guy delivered it as well.
I can find out detsails if you want.
I hear they are a very hyper dog and like to run off alot when hunting but I suppose like any other dog that will depend on the traing and I guess my answer to that would be some good electronics.
But what do I know, I'm having troubles with my Lab, but shes pretty young yet.
On the flip side, I have heard of these dogs being AWESOME hunting dogs.
A guy from work had one and he said if there were birds, the dog would find them, plus would hunt hard all day, he told me it was so small it would just run under stuff, like in the cattails and what have you.
If the bird didn't get up, the dog would pounce on it, and actually hold it until he got there, but every once in awhile it would accidently kill a hen, OOPS! not good.
I had the chance to see this dog work early season, but it was no where to be found, a family member let it out of the barn and forgot they let it out. They figure it was probably dog napped or shot as it would always run to were it heard gun shots.
Too bad though, as I would of liked my dog to work with it.

OOPS!, sorry Mille lacs guy, looks like I was typing away as you posted.

Speaking of chronic ear problems, my lab always has problems with one of her ears, if you rub the inside of it, she goes nuts, like it itches real bad.
She did have an infection awhile back and I put an antibiotic in it for awhile, it had a bunch of crusty dark crap in it, she doesn't have that anymore but it still seems to bother her on and off a little.
If she goes for a swim, I usually clean her ears to make sure theres no moister in there, . Anyone have any ideas?
Should I clean them more even if she doesn't get wet?
thanks

[This message has been edited by Dano2 (edited 12-30-2002).]

• 1 month later...

Ive had them all my life. The ear infections come from certain protein's in thier food. Even the high dollar food can be bad. I found a food made locally that is 99% natural. My dogs havent had any infections since I switched to this food. I have friends with labs that swear by it too.They offer free delivery.Runs about $1 a pound E-mail me if your interested.
[email protected]

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by Derek Johnston (edited 02-15-2003).]

• 1 month later...

I agree with the rest. Have had ESS all my life. Not sure on where to get one. I guess that I can't really help on where to get one. Unfortunately, I just lost one of them after 15 years of pure bliss! I have never had any problems with ears. Good luck and enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have had ESS's most of my life. They are great dogs. The first one we had, was sharp as a knife. Responded to every call was a great bird dog. You could tell him to stay in one spot shoot a shot in the air through the toss toy and he would sit there till his go ahead comand was said. But the past two have had temper problems. These 2 we have to keep away from my little causins and other people away from in the house. Outside he is fine. We still watch him though. I think once we get into the new house he might lose his temper. I have brought him out in the field and he will flush birds up all day long and not pitter out. I am gonna give him one shot at duck hunting this fall and see how he does.

Have had Springers all of my life and what you are talking about is becoming more prevelant in the breed and it is called "Rage Syndrome". Starting to see it more and more. Sad to see.......They get so mad that they just start to shake.

------------------
Paul
[email protected]

I been associated with Springers almost my entire life and I have never seen a dog exibihit this rage syndrome. I think what is happening is people are breeding dogs that shouldn't be breeding dogs. Breeding is not as simple as I have a female and you have a male so lets make some money on puppies. The result when this happens is often times things that are not for the betterment of the breed. Things such as hardmouth, this rage syndrome, and others is what happens when people just breed a dog to make some money.

Another point. If you want to hunt a springer be sure to get a field bred springer, not a show springer. The show dogs out number the field dogs by quite a number now a days. The show people claim their dogs hunt but they don't compared to a field dog. The show people have bred all the field traits out of their springers. I you want more information on this let me know and I can provide it. I will post a link of what a field english springer spaniel should look like.

http://www.sandcreekspaniels.homestead.com/baileyinfo.html

http://www.sandcreekspaniels.homestead.com/Sandcreekstuds.html