• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where have all the big dogs gone?

Grabs

After a previous post about seeking a 30" walleye, it got me to thinking again about the Mille Lacs walleye situation. Through this great bite, 30-50 fish days becoming very common and the great numbers of people on the water, how come we are not hearing reports of very many big fish? In fact I rarely hear of a fish over 28" and don't think I have heard of a single fish over 30" for a long time now. Don't you think with this great bite and starving fish that we should be getting some big dogs? Or are they just to slow to get to the bait with all the 20-25" fish swimming the waters? Or have they begun to die off from starvation and increased stress due to the lack of forage? Lets here your opinions, or your fish stories about the big one.

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 06-18-2002).]

They are still there. I fished Friday night slip bobbering on Garrison Reef. My partner pulled a 31". When a guy I work with heard the story, he took Monday off and headed to Mille Lacs. He pulled a 31 1/2". Both fish are at the taxidermist. Hopefully, my turn for a big fish is next.

Zaraspooks: Congrats on the trophy fish. There has been quite a bit written about skinny fish. Most that I have caught this year have been very healthy. Would you be so kind as to post the weights of the fish you caught?
Dino

31" = 9.25 pounds
31 1/2" = just short of 10 pounds

Not huge weight for that size but still some pretty nice fish.

I agree, no pigs as of yet. I have probably witnessed over 200 fish caught this year, and not one over 27 1/2"'s. Oh well, this Saturday will be the one year anniversity of my 10 lb'er!! I will be returning to the scene of the crime.

Dinosaur - I would have released those fish also but those were the biggest fish they had ever caught. I'm waiting for a 12 pounder myself. Probably going to be a long wait.

On June 1st I caught one on Agate Reef in seven feet of water. It was 30.5" and 9.8 lbs. That same night I had a 27" that was 5 lbs

On June 1st I caught one on Agate Reef in seven feet of water. It was 30.5" and 9.8 lbs. That same night I had a 27" that was 5 lbs

Last fall on Indian Point I got one of the fattest walleye I have ever seen. It measured only 27.5 inches, but weighed 9 pounds on a berkley scale!
To see a picture of this freak (the fish, not me) smile.gif go to this site!

www.gemfishing.org

Michael

Cyber >< ))))("<

Zaraspooks: Your fish did weigh out very good. My nephew pulled a 29 1/2" on Memorial weekend and it was one of the "skinny" fish. The poor thing had a rough spawn and was just over 7 lbs. After a quick pic she was released with an extra leech to chew on. He wants to wait for this fall to work for a trophy. I think he made a good choice in his case.
Dino