• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Springer'* a Dying Breed??

Jay R

Anyone able to give some suggestions to my earlier post?? Or has the Springer become a dead breed in the wake of the Labs, Chessies and GSH'* ??? Thanks

Jay R

I must have missed your original post. I'm on my 3rd springer and wouldn't have anything else. What was your question?

Jay --

The American Kennel Club has websites and links to local breed-specific clubs and associations. I doubt very much that the springer is a "dying breed," it may be that few springer owners visit here.

Take a few minutes to surf and you'll find leads on what you are looking for.

Thanks for the response, My original question was I am searching for a good breeder of Springers. I would like to buy a pup this spring etc. I would like to buy from someone in MN, ND, SD area as I lve near the Fargo/Moorhead area. But willing to go further if need be. Thanks.

Jay R

If you are looking for a good Springer send me an email at [email protected]. I am currently involved in both hunting and AKC Licensed Field Trials with Field Bred English Springer Spaniels. One thing you will want to keep in mind when looking for a Springer is the difference between the Field Bred Springer and the "Bench" or Show Springer. There is a huge difference yet technically this is the same breed of dog. The show people are breeding all of the Field Instincts out of Springers. I currently own 3 males, two of which are some of the top Field Trial dogs in Minnesota. I can point you in the right direction to some Breeders that you will get a great dog from. The Springer is not a dying breed, it is not as common as a Lab or a German Shorthair in Minnesota but in my opinion a springer is the finest upland dog. A great resource for Springers is www.essft.com. And if you any questions about Springers feel free to send me an email. If you live near where I do I would be happy to go out in the Field and have you hunt behind my Springers.