• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Place in the State?

Bird Dog

Just wondered what place you guys like to hunt in Mn.One of my favorites would be Jackson County in S.W. Mn.and private land anywhere in the pheasant range.I also like
Meeker county as it is a shorter drive for me.I prefer to hunt wild birds not game farm birds.

Bird Dog

My dog and I are planning to go pheasant hunting in MN Sunday for the first time. We'd like to hunt closest to the NW metro as possbile. I've heard decent things about Meeker, Kandiyohi, Stearns and Sherbourne counties. Any thoughts/remarks/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard there's a good number of birds in the SW and southern MN and should be even better when the corn is harvested.

Shorelunch, I live in Southern Kandi. County and work in Renville Co. They are really going to town on the crops around here and the hunting should improve each day. They are still lifting the sugar beets but once they get done with them they will take a lot of corn out pretty fast. If I was a betting man I would look towards the Western part of Kandi. County. Good Luck.

I know that Wright Co. has some public land that has been good in the past I think that alot of the crops are still out in the fields
I live in N.W.Hennepin Co. and private land to hunt is getting pretty hard to come by.The further out that you go the better
your chances are.There is alot of water out there this year.If it were to freeze up we would have more opportunities to get to more areas.If your going to hunt public land get out there early.

Hope that this helps

Goodluck!
Bird Dog

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

In Stearns and Meeker the birds are doing OK(especially western stearns). But you'd be better off heading another hour or two SW. Lots of public land and birds. The Benson area has been real good. No shortage of pressure there though. A little farther SW and things get better. With the crops coming off things should really heat up soon.

When I have plenty of time I head for Lincoln Co. But for me the best place in the state is wherever I have time to get out for a couple hours.

On my yearly trip to lac qui parle, we always do good pheasant hunting in that area.

Ely lake exert

This has been my best year ever, and crops aren't out yet! I usually get one rooster a year (because everyone hits wild life areas in Renville county hard) but I've got four so far and I've walked half as many miles as most years. Dog finally working good, shot has finally got better, pheasant in oven, a girlfriend that likes to hunt and fish; like is finally good. wink.gif

Well . . . my lab got a good walk. Due to time constraints, I went to the WMA by Annandale. Heard lots of shots (at ducks) and saw a few very hopeful pheasant hunters.

I'll try the places posted above next trip out. Is it usually safe hunting these public lands during deer/rifle season? Does pheasant hunting disrupt their deer hunting?

[This message has been edited by Shorelunch (edited 10-31-2002).]

Hey Shorelunch did you have any luck over the weekend.I went out with a friend of mine we got one ditch parrot between the two us only went out on saturday and its the only rooster that we saw still alot of corn out there

I was hoping to get some more input from other people on your questions but heres my
2 cents.Most all of the pheasant range should
fall into the slugs only area for deer hunting.So you should'nt be dealing with long range rifle shots.I have never encountered a person hunting on a stand in any of the areas that I have hunted.I have seen them push a tree line etc. usually there done and out there in a short time.
If I would see someone hunting I would move on and come back later.Give the deer hunters
plenty of room and you should'nt have a problem.You may even kick up a deer and send it there way.Hopefully this helps some.On another note my brother took off almost the whole month of Nov. for hunting pheasant etc. so he'll be out and about I can let you know how he does in different areas he hunts alot of public ground.He found a new area that is not on the maps yet that looks promising in the area that you tried recently.I am going to take a couple days off and run down to S.W. corner in about two weeks.Maybe someone else will give there Ideas experiences etc..to help you out a little more.

Bird Dog

Skinnylee
I will be staying in Jackson,but I am open to travel around the area.I know some people in the Worthington-Wilmont Area.So I will be getting around.Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Much!
Bird Dog

birddog where are you going when you hit the sw corner maybe i can hep you out we still have a lot of corn

If you head down there let me know how you do.I am thinking about heading down that way myself.

Thanks Fish-N-Hunt

I going to head out Thursday 11/14 to give it a try my brother was down there yesterday
he said that the corn was coming out of the fields in rapid fashion, not much stuff plowed under though.He said that it is dry down that way and that it was almost to hot for the dogs he had to carry lots of water.He felt that alot of the birds were still in the crops.I'll give it a try and let you know.

Bird Dog

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up only hunting on Friday the 15th
on public land around Jackson we managed to get two birds the only two that we had shots at.There was still alot of corn out in the fields.
weather and wife permiting I will run back down there. in a week or so

Bird Dog