• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best public land maps

You can order any of the 50 some PRIMs by calling the DNR at 1-800-766-6000. You can get info on which maps to buy simply by giving them your location and the area you are interested in.

Another fine reference is the DeLorme publication, Minnesota Atlas and Gazeteer. They break the whole state down into some 90 or so pages and provide lots of detail. It runs about $18.

I love my Minnesota Atlas and Gazetter...made by DeLorme. It can get you anywhere in the state of Minnesota, accessable by roads of course. I think I paid 20 bucks for it.

I was wondering what the best/easiest public huntling land (pheasant) maps were? I've seen the MN Waterfowler's map with the green dots and the MN Atlas. Is the Atlas as good as it gets, or are there better maps.

PRIM Pubic Recreation Information Maps seem to be the best. Find at any outdoor store, but specific to your area are often hard to find. The DNR has those.

I don't go hunting without my gazzeteer. Now, right here in between the ketchup and the coffee stain is a beautiful alder swamp I hunted last week and.....

I picked up a MN Atlas last night.

Two questions:

Are all orange shaded areas open hunting land or just orange areas with the hunter emblem?

Can you shoot lead in these areas or is it only steel?

You can hunt all of the orange areas. As far as steel or lead, it depends on the area. Some of them are wwma’s, or something like that. Waterfowl Wildlife Management Areas. You have to use steel there. If I’m out scooping new spots, I carry both.

Where can you get a MN Atlas? I work in Maple Grove and was wondering if Gander has them?

Sorry, I was also wondering about the gazatter. What store did you get them at?

The areas reffered as wwma's are probally Wpa's, waterfowel production areas, Steel only. Wma's you can still use lead, that will change soon I'm sure. Don't pass up wpa's for upland I have found many that are very good for pheasants. Good Luck!!

The DNR website has all of the WMA's on it go to the website and click on Recreation Finder. It takes a little foolin with but once you find it you can possibly find spots very close to home. It also has direction from the nearest town.