• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

#5s

CodyDawg

Does anyone know where you can find a box of 2 3/4" Magnum #5s? I just love these shells for roos. #6s, have too many bb's and lack the ability to break wings at longer distances and #4s don't have as many bb's as I would like and tend to make pheasant pudding if shot too close.

Drat, Fungus Falls is a little too far to drive for a box of shells. I tell ya, I love #5s. I shot a rooster this weekend that was a long shot by any standard (not out of range, but long nonetheless) and dropped him right on the spot. 6s just dont do that. 4s are my next best load. How about other people, what do you like?

I like the 5's also, and "roll my own" on a cheap little Lee Load-All. 1 1/4 oz. of shot with some Red Dot and I'm all set to go. Definitely my favorite all-around pheasant load in 2 3/4.
Over the last few years I have hung up the 12 for most pheasant hunting, and use a 20 gauge s/s. Short, quick pointing and comfortable to carry.
The double barrel is great, because I put 6 shot in the IC barrel and 4 shot in the Mod barrel, and am set to handle most situations within reasonable range. I'm shooting Federal Premium copper-plated/buffered loads in the 20.

I just bought a box of 2 3/4 #5, Federal, High Brass, Pheasant Forever edition at Fleet Farm in Fergus Falls. I love that load, and I got the only rooster of the weekend in one shot...2 pellets hit the bird.