• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

50 inch rule

harvy56364

As most of you know, whether you want to admit it or not, the walleye in ML are biting like this for a reason. They have'nt had anything to eat other than a walleye nuts catch & release leech or minnow (lets not forget a native American religious net}. When the DNR & the catch & release realize that the fish are starving due to the crash of the perch & tulipee I hope it is not too late for the rest of us to take ameal home! I am in favor of a 50 inch limit before they all surface! wHAT i MEAN IS TAKE 50 INCHES OF FISH TO EAT. hOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU WERE STARVING & YOU GOT DRUG UP TO THE SURFACE EVERY FEW DAYS BECAUSE YOU HAD NOTHING TO EAT & YOU WERE GETTING WEAKER & WEAKER BECAUSE OF IT. I live right here & I can't believe people are so shortsighted.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-18-2002).]

I agree if we start keeping some fish it might save the lake! I CPR all the time but It gets to the point were it doesn't help the fishery when the fish starve to death and we just stand by and let it happen. Its great that fishing is so good but think of why its so good? those fish are so hungry that they'll eat almost anything. So it wouldn't hurt to make an emergency slot size to help the lake a little bit and way out the predator prey relationship. I don't have all the answers it just might help a little bit? Brettskee

Gill & Bigbassbrettski, thanks for your honest replys. I live next to ML & hardly ever fish it. I wish the Natives would back off because they don't need or even try to harvest the fish. It's the Wisconsin & Michigan bands that cash in on the netting. But I am concerned about the fishery. I am lucky enough to have a cabin close to Lake Vermillion . Fishing there is good. I just wish the best for ML. Great talking to you guys!

In most situations I am one of those catch and release “nuts”, who fishes merely for the joy of catching fish. However, I have to agree with Harvey. Despite the fact that this is the best fishing the lake has seen in 20 years, the walleyes being caught need to be harvested. The current forage population is simply too small to sustain the number of predator fish in the lake. Why else would you be catching 50 to 100 fish a day? Start keeping these walleyes until the angler catch rate falls to a normal level. Whether it’s a 50-inch or a 10-lb rule is for the DNR to figure out. With the existing regulations, I give Mille Lacs about five years before it become one of the best CRAPPIE lakes in the state.