• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunters without respect

erikwells

I have been a hunter for 20 years. I grew up in farm country and had great hunting in southcentral Minnesota. I knew many farmers and had permission to hunt their land whenever I wanted. I always made sure to drop off cleaned birds/steaks or help them with mending fence or putting up hay from time to time. I moved to the twin cities area about 8 years ago and was dumbfounded why farmers in general were so disagreeable to allowing hunters onto their land? Well now I know why. I own 12 acres six miles west of Elk River with a heavy population of phaesant, geese,ducks and deer. Road hunters don't hesitate to let fly in my ditch towards my horses or my house. They hunt the back portion of my property when
I am at work. My wife is at home and has asked them to leave and they simply tell her that they have permission. She points out to them she owns the land. They say sorry and trespass on the next adjoining plot of land. I can honestly say that I will never grant permission for someone to hunt my property and have asked the neighboring farmers and land owners to do the same. Everyone I spoke with has agreed to only allow family to hunt their land from now on. Has that much changed in 8 or so years? Is it just the metro area hunter? Trespassers realize most of us have poured ourlifeblood into our property and now imagine how pissed off we get when you show an utter lack of respect by entitling yourself to trespassing, endangering our livestock and bagging animals that we have likely raised, fed and created habitat for. The DNR should impose a much stronger penalty (revoke hunting priviliges) for you morons because you have ruined it for so many others.

Signed,

Don't even ask.

I am sorry to hear about your situation, I understand your frustration. I am also sorry to hear that you will no longer alow other hunters on your land, but I understand why. Let me be the first to appologize for these idiots. I now live in the metro,I am a hunter, and I will assure you that not all metro hunters break the laws and disrespect landowners like these fools. Once again, it is the actions of a few that seem to ruin things for the rest of us.

Koz, thanks for your response. I think that some folks have got too caught up in what they bag as opposed to why are they hunting. I guess I am a bit of the minority but I get a kick out of birds that are smart enough to be seen in areas that I cannot shoot. Sure it irks me a bit too. Thanks again and hopefully you can help educate some of those meat hunters.

That is really to bad, I have hunted that area once with a friend that lives up there and wow there are birds everywhere GEESE like you wouldnt believe. Some hunters ruin it for everyone.
Dont ya just wish you sit on the deck with some salt load and give them what they deserve.
Sorry to hear that and good luck this year

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when the metro goose season opens?? Bsander I believe there used to be a law on the books that allowed land owners to legally shoot trespassers if it was night time. I believe it was a law created because of horse thieves. It's probably not on the books anymore. Happy hunting all, take good shots and recover your game.

Ever heard of a plat book?
Post all of that info, including huge #s of birds and your troubles will double. Do you reply to spam- telling them to quit mailing you?

Those people on your land should have been prosecuted for trespassing. If the idiots were seen trespassing on your neighbor's land, call your neighbor so they can call the sheriff.

If we don't make the bad apples pay for what they do, then we shouldn't be surprised when they continue to do it.

I understand why you would be reluctant to allow people to hunt your land.....but, unfortunately, the people who actually stop and ask your permission are most likely not the ones you have to be worried about.

There are bad people involved in all activities.....not just hunting. A certain percentage of the people break laws. The guy at your office who is a slob and an axxhole is most likely the same type of person in the woods or on the water. The fact that there are so many more people in the metro (compared to outstate) increases the number of slob hunters. It's all just percentages.

Prosecute these people, please! Before the entire state just lets their family hunt.

[This message has been edited by huskminn (edited 08-12-2002).]

Noodlesalad, I guess I am naive for expressing some hunters failure to abide by trespassing laws. I guess if a poacher can find a location with a plat map we should ignore the root issue. Stop being so myopic. The issue was hunters without respect not how doe's "Paul Trespass Poacher" find his way to your land to poach. Your spam comment was just pure genius. Lastly please don't feel compelled to reply to any of my future postings as I am sure your time only allows you to split free time between the MENSA website and this one.

• 1 month later...

I agree with your stance on the trespassers. I think that you should get them out of there, call the law.
From a hunters standpoint, however, it gets frustrating trying to get permission to hunt places, and when you do respect the land, and you do ask permission, you get your a$$ chewed out, get cussed at, and pretty much called a criminal.
My dad and grandfather used to hunt every weekend from opening day to closing day, and they used to shoot, honestly, hundreds of birds. But now, the same places they used to hunt, they are told 'NO' and have a door slammed in their faces. Yes, it was years ago when they hunted that much, but you used to be able to grab your shotgun, a box of shells, go talk to a couple of farmers, and shoot a couple of roosters. Neither my grandfather or dad has even taken their shotguns out of the case for about 3 yrs. Its sad.
Another thing that irks me as a taxpayer, I live in Omaha, and if you go to the smaller towns and farms and as to hunt, they treat you like the plague. It doesnt matter how nice you are, or that you pump money into their economy, they treat city-slickers like garbage. They have these huge CRP field that MY taxmoney funds, and they, by law, have to allow a certain amount of people use that land, but either they want you to pay for it, or they tell you to get out. If you hunt, or you save the place for your kids/friends, thats great, but when I treat you with respect, and ask permission to hunt your land, please dont disrespect me.

The world of hunting is coming down to the have and have not's. There are the "new pickup, Filson outerwear and Bineli" hunters who can drop $3,000 for a six day hunt in SD, ND or Iowa or pays farmers their asking price to hunt. There's the lucky guy who has an outstate farmer/landowner friend.

Then there's me. I TRY to take my son pheasant hunting a few times a year to the CRP land or ask permission. The CRP land is over ran and most farmers won't give the time of day. I was taught to shut the gate, donate a bird and most of all, please and thank you's. None of which seem to matter anymore.

It's no wonder that hunting is declining - especially with the youth - the future of hunting. Yes, I've tried to venture out and get permission ahead of time, but to no luck. I imagine waterfowl hunting has gone down the same path.

It looks like a game farm this year and for years to come.