• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Michael Bennett Trade?

I recently saw on the CBS Sportsline web-site that the Vikes are considering trading Michael Bennett. I think it's a great idea. I would think they could still get a decent player for him. He has yet to complete a season without missing several games due to various injuries. He is starting to look like Robert Smith (tons of talent, but never able to play). If they could get an early round draft pick or a quality defensive player to help shore up a defensive position, I think they should deal him! We have a ton of talent at the RB position already.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deadminnowcatcher

• eyehunter

• james_walleye

• Iron Cowboy

The problem with a trade in this day and age in the NFL is you never get even close the value in return. The vikings will get nothing even close to value in return if they trade Bennett. Teams dont have to make trades to put their team together, they can get good players in free agency without giving up anything. I'd be pretty disappointed if they traded Bennett away.

I can only think of one value for value trade in the NFL (Bailey/Portis). They'd maybe fetch a 3rd rounder or something. Bennett was a number 1. I think Bennett is set for a breakout year, which I thought would come last year. I'd be disappointed if they traded him. They're talking Super Bowl and that would seem less likely with Smith backed up by Moe Williams. I like Bennett a lot, it's too bad he's a Badger wink.gif

Trading Bennett would be a HUGE mistake. Never give up a running back. All you will get in return is a draft pick--the next year. And if his replacement goes down, you are in a world of hurt. How many starting rb's went down last year?

Also, having 2 running backs can really help the offense. Two guys beating up linebackers and safetys the whole game will really open the running game up in the late third and forth quarter and help you melt the clock down. Having two different types of backs make more to game plan for.

"He is starting to look like Robert Smith (tons of talent, but never able to play). "

Robert Smith the LEADING rusher in vikes history. In fact he holds most of the rushing records in vikes history, not to mention He's one of the classiest athletes to play in any league. We could only be so lucky if Bennet turns out like Robert Smith.

Nicely said MNnice.

Trading Bennet would be a huge mistake!!!! Rite now the Vikes are the envy of most teams due to the quality depth at running back. Why envy, because runningbacks get hurt. Moe is good not great, Onterio could be great but I think he is too small and will get hurt if played full time, Bennet is the back the Vikes need if they are going to make the supperbowl, may I say he is great, time will tell.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Well said sunny,

This guy is ready to tear the roof of the dome. He's in better shape, has a better understanding of the system and has a chip on his shoulder.

Can't wait for the seson to start myself. wink.gif

Wow, I guess I'm alone on this one.

Hey, did you hear the Vikes may trade Moss to Green Bay? Green Bay already has a Couch, a Davenport, and now they're looking for a Lazy Boy. Hee hee.

Randy Moss; He's the first to ever be on the cover of ESPN The Magazine. Well, he was the hottest player in the NFL when ESPN The Magazine debuted. grin.gif I remember that commercial too!

Bennett would be good if he played a whole season and got tuned in. Yes, he's fast, but he dances too much in the backfield. That drives me nuts as much as Daunte holding the ball forever and ever and ever............then fumbling it away.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

I saw that comment on sportsline too.. It originated from the Pioneer Press from a Charley Walters column.. That should tell you something about the validity of the rumor.

If they got rif of MB, it will be a mistake. They need to keep him, he can bust the big play. So what he gets hurt, its football. Everyone gets hurt. He is a big play guy.

Uncle Dave: I really hope you are trying to ellicit responses, because you really sound like a GB fan, just hoping something befalls this truely, exceptional running back. Even considering that thought is MAJOR VIKINGS HEREASY!!!!!!! Thou shallt be punished in accordance to VIKING'S LAW.

Although Bennett is a great player and will probably have 1200 yrds rushing this season, I don't think we would lose much by trading him. He really isn't much more than a track star in a football uniform.. S.O.D. has the talent to be just as good if not better than MB.. With our O-Line any decent back should be able to obtain 1200 yrds.. Why not see what we can get for him while he's hot and not injured.

------------------
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
~ Stephen Wright

WK: I agree only to a certain point on the 2003 S.O.D. He is a shifty runner, but he is no threat to take it all the way any time he touches the ball. MB is!!! I just hope with Robinson as the #2 WR that he can stay healthy and contribute. Say what you want about Moss, but the guy plays through minor injuries! I am not certain Robinson does that.

From what I saw, it looks like Bennett needs a pretty straight forward lane and big gap to hit his top end speed.

Key is, he was a track runner. Not alot of deekin', jookin', jiving, and shifting around there.

He is fast, and talented...But I don't know that we'd hurt so much from not having him around.

With that said, I HOPE I have to eat my words this season. I'd love to see the Vikes break the 1998 556 point NFL scoring record set by Brian Billick's gang.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Why in the world would they trade Michael Bennett????? They would gain absolutley nothing in doing that. He has only been really injured one time, due to a freak accident on a treadmill that didn't have anything to do with football. They are not going to trade him any time soon. If it aint broke don't fix it I always say. I think this rumor is just that....A RUMOR!

I believe he will have a huge season this year. We have so much depth at rb that he will be able to get the rest he needs in each series of downs, same goes for Moe and the others. This will be a great year for Vikings fans.

Green and Bennett. Vikes 0 and 2 against the Pack. To much ego!! No great loss for the Vikes.

I WISH

With the abrupt retirement of Ricky Williams and the prior interest that MN showed in Adele Ogunleye (DE, Mia) there are rumors of a Michael Bennett for Ogunleye and Miami's #1 next year. Ogunleye would fill a position of need of sorts for the Vikings and would require trading from a position of strength. This would be a rare value-for-value deal with an addional draft pick on top of that. I quoted earlier as not wanting to trade Bennett, but if this exact deal were to come up I'd take it. Ogunleye is a young double-digit sack man that would make the purple's D-line one of the best in the NFL behind maybe only Carolina, NE, and possibly N.O. and Baltimore. The Vikings would already have a starter, a capable backup and a versatile rookie. Miami's draft pick next year would probably be arond the #20 mark the Vikes picked at this year. I really like what Bennett offers, but it's nothing personal. Take advantage of Miami when they're in panic mode.

best thing the vikes could do is trade Moss. If you cannot get any value for him- just release him--Just remember there is no "I" in team and football is a team sport

Please, you dont trade the most gifted athlete in the game away. Which Randy Moss have you been watching the last couple years? Obviously not the one i've been watching.

Randy Moss may leave something to be desired in attitude at times, but the guy's a great football player, who's played hurt a lot. I think some of his "sandbagging" on plays, is just to setup the D backs, so he can break one later in the game. Bennett's a special player that isn't worth much in a trade at this point, but he could push us over the top. I like Moe & Onterrio, but wouldn't want to pin the Vikes hopes just on those two guys. If one of them got hurt where would we be?

I agree that Moss needs to do things a little differently like go over the middle more and not be afraid to take a hit but I think the "I the play when I want" thing was blown out of proportion. It might have more to do with at the end of a game the team is trailing by 7 --who can run 3 fly routes of 60+ yards in a row and not be too tired to run a fourth one right away. And God forbid you ever said anything dumb as a young man after a tough loss. If you did should we never ever let you forget it? all I can say is how do you argue with the stats, he is breaking or on pace to break every single N.F.L recieving record there is. For the length of his career nobody has matched his numbers,including Jerry rice. No matter how gifted you are I think you must be trying if you can do that. I dont think tice is like denny. I dont think he B.S's everyone and he says Moss outworks about everyone on the team. If you dont like him do you boo when he catches a pass? If so you will have to boo the vikes over 100 times this season.

Who cares.

Without Randy Moss, the Vikings of 1998 would NEVER have broken the NFL scoring record.

Randy Moss is as good, and I should say great, as they get in the NFL.

He's got attitude. So? I'm glad!

I'll take him on my team any day. He's Randy Moss!

(now maybe I'll get season tickets, cuz Moss reads FM.com. The greatest center in the game, Matt Birk, told him about it)

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 07-26-2004).]

he may be great but a great player does not make a team. I am inclined to think that his attitude affects other players play. As far as the comment about him getting tired- you have not been watching the same games I have been watching. How about blocking? a vital part of the game-that is another story

Quit hatin' Randy Moss. What does the guy have to do in order to get a little respect? Just watch this message board light up when he leads the Vikings to the Super Bowl this season. Dead Minnow will be wearing a #84 jersey before it's over...that's how good Randy Moss is!

Moss is THE best wr playing the game right now. Should he keep playing at the pace he is at right now, he will re-write the record books for many years. Moss not only does good things on the field, he does good things off of it too. I think he is a very private guy, but, he is not in a very private job. As far as if he reads FM, I hope he does, because a lot of excellent information passes through these threads.

I'm sure it is very possible that one of the Vikes running backs could be traded to the Fish. However, I do not think it will happen because either Bennet, or Smith will cost the Fish big time.

If Moss does read FM, then, GO! VIKE'S GO!
We are with you EVERY Sunday.

you guys are not getting the point. I would like to see a good team not one great player that has an attitude problem- off the field? like almost running over a cop- that should have been the last straw

Dead minnow, What in the world do you care what he does off the field? He doesnt care what you do away from your job. Why complain about what someone else does in thier private life because you might watch him do his job? My boss watches me work but he better not tell me how to act when I go home for the night. Let Tice worry about the pr stuff. And Please dont give me that "role model" or in the public eye **** either. I have 3 sons that are all in different levels of football for our school. They know who Moss is but it doesnt mean hes thier role model. I have taught them that pro athletes are like every other kind of people, some are good guys, some arent. just because they can play a sport doesnt make them a great guy but they are still fun to watch. A lot of people say Jim brown is a huge A-hole would you have wanted to get rid of him too? Like Barkley said parents should be a kids role model. Now if an athlete is obviosley a great guy too then thats fine they can look up to him and try to imulate him in work ethic, desire, etc. but I hope I'm still much more of an influence on them, after all sports is a small part of thier life in the big picture and I would hope no matter what any athlete does off the field it wouldnt effect them personally. Even though my kids are big time football players you know who they use as a posotive influence...I tell them to try to be the Kevin Garnett of thier football team.

You havent been watching Randy Moss lately if you are bringing up blocking. Moss was constantly making good blocks last year springing those nice runs. You got "Merril Hodge disease" if you saying Moss is all about himself. Pick out the 4th play in the series after Moss has just run 3 flys down the field. Disect that fourth play and show Moss not going all out on a play thats too the opposite side of the field just too make controversy. Dont show any of the 111 catches or 17 TD's he had last year. You dont trade away a guy who puts up 111 catches, 1632 yards, and 17 TD's while being double and triple teamed every single play. You dont put up numbers like that if you are half-azzing it on the field while being double and triple teamed. You play the vikings on sunday you spend more time trying to figure out how too just keep Moss from beating you more than you spend trying to keep most teams from beating you.