• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Deroit Lions will...

BackHerUp

I'm holding you to that comment about the Tigers being better than the Twins next year!! You said that last year as well... you also said the Lions would be better than the Vikes this year, and again next year.... I see a trend here my friend. I give you credit, your a decent debater but something of a mascicist... you just keep coming back for more and these guys posting are pretty sharp... they've actually taken the pressure off of me to blast your Motor City Scene.

P.S. The NHL will have a salary cap and your Red/Dead Wings will no longer be the Yankee's of the NHL.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackHerUp

• buzzsaw

• vikingtom

• 196thDLR

Ahhh...never get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Blow up dolls? Vaseline? I like the spirit of your reply, don't let the facts get in the way of an argument. Just degenerate the conversation into the topic of perverse sexuality. You must have quite a warped and perverted imagination, to say the least. Please keep your maligned fantasies away from this forum (I think there's help for you out there). This happened on this board once before, when I was criticizing a baseball player's poor statistical performance and a poster resorted to the ol' switch-and-bait tactic of sexual insult. Oh well, if you want to have an argument that features all the sophistication of a seventh grader's canon of expressive intelligence, please expound on the blow up doll line of thought. Good stuff dude. Meanwhile you can back up your arguments with references to the Lions and Tigers. Two teams that even in your delusional state of mind are only capable of playing .500 ball, which is quite a stretch to say the least.

Don't take this stuff to heart. Looks like you've got a great and beautiful family. Have a most enjoyable holiday season, stay warm, stay safe, and have a merry Christmas. I'm going to spend Friday afternoon with my fingers crossed that the Purple delivers another NFC North Championship. With Burke and Winfield on the field, I like our chances.

BTW Huskiesplayer15, that song is the greatest ever.

But an untidy snap exchange between center Don Muhlbach and kick-holder Nick Harris on the PAT (there was no kick) ultimately spoiled the Lions' potential overtime party and, in all likelihood, ended their NFC playoff hopes....

Dohhhhhhhhh

wade22 writes:

Quote:

Ahhh...never get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

I'm glad you realised your shortcomings...coming to terms with yourself is the first step... blush.gif

Quote:

Just degenerate the conversation into the topic of perverse sexuality. You must have quite a warped and perverted imagination, to say the least...

It was you and your emotionally charged reaction, that initiated (and insinuated) that I was abusing inhalants! ("You've confused me for the brown paper bag full of ethanol you keep sniffing"..."pick up your brown paper bag and...when you're done huffing the fumes out of the paper bag...")

I wasn't too appreciative of the particular conotation, but in reverting to my true (and combative past), I will engage anyone in verbal (or physical combat) for "sh-ts and giggles"...as I began my response, I was having fun envisioning what I was writing...however, in doing so, I realised I had stooped to your level. That being said, I regret having written "said response", as it doesn't reflect the intentions of this fine website...

Quote:

Please keep your maligned fantasies away from this forum...

shocked.gif

Please...don't tell me what to do, if you cannot apply those same principles to yourself...another thing, maybe you should just stay away from my thread...

-----------------------------------------------

My attorney advised me to make this statement: grin.gif

"I would like to apologize to those who may have been offended...however, I have no control as to who may respond and how they react to my opinions on this (my)thread, I do have control as to how will respond/react" wink.gif

But Backherup did you like my pictures??? I did it just for you bud! I couldn't believe all the negative pictures that can be found on the Lions website.... there was a whole history of dissapointment. ahhh, I'm just playin' tongue.gif

...pretty quiet...after a Vikings loss. To the Packers and at home, no less.

However, it was entertaining...watching the defenses collapse, one drive after the other.

You see, for the season, there wasn't much that actually separates the Packers, Lions, Bears and Vikings but a few points (and time on the clock). Lions lost twice to the Vikings by a combined 4 points...Vikings lost twice to the Packers by a combined 6 points...Lions lost to the Packers 38-10 in their first meeting but lost the second meeting by a mere (last second) field goal... Vikings won the first one against the Bears by only 5 points, 27-22. Bears beat the Vikings rather handily 24-14 in game 2...Lions beat the Bears 20-16 earlier...it's a lot closer than you'd like imagine and it will be even closer next year! Parity through free-agency will tighten things up more.

...Bears at Lions tomorrow (in Detroit), on Fox at noon...

Backherup,

You are right it is quiet. It is hard to communicate with a mouthful of humble pie but I do feel better after reading your last post. Yes, we continually have to die with our team in big games, but that is better than to never see my team in big games in December.

As my old man says, "Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and sometimes dancing." No playoffs is no playoffs. We will probably still make it.

The Kitties have no shot at the playoffs, so I guess that means the only difference between the Lions, San Francisco and Miami is that San Fran and Miami will have a better draft position.

I hope everyone had a great holiday.

Fishyguy, you stole my thunder brother!! I would have to say that although Minnesota is most likely a playoff team (unlike the Kitties) we will still go down in the playoffs with this defense. It may have been good enough to sweep Detroit but that doesn't say much... none of the teams in this division are worth a darn. I suppose Minny has a shot if we go to Seattle, but if we get that far round two will bring a thundering boom. Atleast the Cheese has a game at home and that will probably mean one win and done.

P.S. The reason this thread was quiet is because it's the Lions thread you rocket scientist... it will pick up again after Sundays lions tilt.

Of course, the good teams know how to win the close games. That's why motor city kitties are 6-9 (?), because they are not a good team, nor will they be any better next either.

Quote:

Of course, the good teams know how to win the close games. That's why motor city kitties are 6-9 (?), because they are not a good team, nor will they be any better next either.

What planet are you from? Have you been watching football the last 5 years?

The Vikings were 11-5 in 2000. Since then they have posted won-loss records of 5-11 in 2001, 6-10 in 2002, 9-7 last year and this year they'll end up 8-8 (yes, you will find a way to lose to Washington, like you lost to Arizona last year!).

My Lions were 9-7 in 2000. Since then they have posted won-loss records of 2-14 in 2001, 3-13 in 2002 under Marty Morningwheg. Enter Steve Mariucci and two successful drafts. The Lions were 5-11 last year and will end up 7-9 this year, with a win over Tennessee, Sunday. Do your math and you tell me who has improved more...wait, I'll do it for you:

The Lions have improved by 350% since 2001!

Have a nice trip...to the bottom of the NFC North!

I'm going fishing...see you next year...in my (Lions) rear view mirror.

Backherup,

You are discussing something completely different. Nobody was discussing if the kitties improved, we were pointing out they haven't done jack. Congrats on the 350% improvement.

If you go from 3-13 to 6-10 that is 300% improvement. If you go from 10-6 to 11-5 that is 10% improvement. Does that make the 6-10 more accomplished? I admire your loyalty to your team but only you could try to show that a 17-47 record over 4 years is better than 29-35.

We may take a trip to the bottom of the NFC North but at least it is a trip not what you Lions fans call home.

Ah ,if your team is a division bottom feeder dont you get to play more more bottom feeders than teams with better records? I Thought that is how the schedules were set up to give the little sisters of the poor a chance to improve.

Quote:

Ah ,if your team is a division bottom feeder dont you get to play more more bottom feeders than teams with better records? I Thought that is how the schedules were set up to give the little sisters of the poor a chance to improve.

Man! I could say something that would associate you with those wearing greasy jeans, torn flannel and living in modular homes...but, I shall refrain! How 'bout those Vikings!! Keep losing and backed into the playoffs by virtue of other teams losses! LOL!! Sure am glad I'm a Lions fan...being a Vikings fan is a lot more embarrassing at this point...just listen to what the football analysts have to say about your Queens! LOL!!

Attention: This will be my last post on this (my) thread until next season...GONE FISHIN'

It doesn't work like that at all. The NFL rotates each division within each conference, so that all NFL teams will eventually play each other during the course of an 8 year cycle. By the way, the Lions played Atlanta (tougher) to Minnesota's New Orleans game, and the Lions played Arizona (probably equal to,) Seattle vs. Minnesota...other than those 2 games their schedules were identical.

-----------------------------------------------

This from the NFL Scheduling Offices:

"The NFL announced the regular-season scheduling rotation for the next eight seasons (2002 through 2009) under the realignment plan that will take effect next season.

The interconference and intraconference divisional matchups - comprising 14 of each season's 16 regular-season games -- for the next eight seasons were determined following extensive analysis and discussion with NFL clubs. A key factor in deciding the initial schedules was the displacement of certain teams from their traditional divisions in the new alignment."

"These eight season schedules will take each team through a cycle of games - home and away - against every other team in the league. In these eight seasons, every team will play every other team at least twice - once home and once away. After the 2009 season, a decision will be made on whether to continue with the same rotation or modify it.

"The new scheduling formula is one of the most positive aspects of realignment," Commissioner PAUL TAGLIABUE said. "The new formula guarantees that NFL fans will see every team play each other on a regular, rotating basis. The formula will eliminate the many aberrations of the past in which teams either did not play for long periods of time or did not play in another team's stadium for many years."

In determining how to begin the divisional rotation in 2002, the displacement of teams from their old divisions in the new alignment was taken into account. Preference was given to scheduling games with former division rivals and other regional opponents for clubs realigned from otherwise intact divisions.

For example, in 2002 the new NFC West will play the AFC West to match Seattle with its old rivals from the AFC West (Denver, Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego). The NFC West also will play the NFC East in order to match Arizona with its old NFC East rivals (Dallas, New York Giants, Philadelphia, Washington).

Also in 2002, the AFC North and AFC South are matched so that Jacksonville and Tennessee will play their former rivals from the old AFC Central (Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh). The NFC North and NFC South pairing in 2002 will give Tampa Bay games against its former NFC Central rivals (Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota).

Other regional 2002 matchups include Dallas visiting Houston in the Texans' inaugural season (NFC East vs. AFC South) and San Francisco at Oakland (NFC West vs. AFC West).

Games matching other previous division rivals or regional rivals that could not be scheduled in 2002 were put into the rotation as early as possible. Indianapolis will play its former AFC East rivals (Buffalo, Miami, New England, New York Jets) in 2003 with the AFC East-AFC South matchup. The New York Jets will host the New York Giants in 2003 when the AFC East plays the NFC East. San Francisco and St. Louis will meet their old NFC West rivals (Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans) in 2004 when the NFC West and NFC South meet.

The new scheduling format includes the following elements:

* There will be an increased common-opponent emphasis with every team in a division playing against 14 common opponents.

* All teams will play each other on a regular basis, home and away, for a more consistent presentation of attractive games, eliminating the many schedule aberrations of the past.

* Teams are guaranteed to play all nondivision opponents in their conference at least once every three years, and at home at least once every six years.

* Every AFC team will play every NFC team once every four years, and at home once every eight years.

* A team's record from the previous year will have less of a bearing on its schedule, with only two (rather than four) opponents being based on the previous year's standing. Thus, the so-called "easy" fifth-place schedules are eliminated.

* The division in which a team resides will be less of a factor in a team's won-loss record with 10 of 16 games each year being against non-division teams.

Under the new scheduling formula, every team within a division will play 16 games as follows:

* Home and away against its three division opponents (6 games).

* The four teams from another division within its conference on a rotating three-year cycle (4 games).

* The four teams from a division in the other conference on a rotating four-year cycle (4 games).

* Two intraconference games based on the prior year's standings (2 games). These games will match a first-place team against the first-place teams in the two same-conference divisions the team is not scheduled to play that season. The second-place, third-place, and fourth-place teams in a conference will be matched in the same way each year.

NOTE -- Following are past schedule aberrations that no longer will occur under the new formula:

* Oakland did not play in Pittsburgh from 1981 through 1999.

* Miami and Denver played once between 1983-1997 when Dan Marino and John Elway were in their primes.

* Green Bay and Washington did not play from 1989-2000 and have not played in Washington since 1979.

* Atlanta and the New York Giants did not play from 1989-1997.

* Pittsburgh and Kansas City have played five consecutive times in Kansas City.

* Green Bay played in Dallas four years in a row from 1993-96.

* Tampa Bay has never played in Buffalo. "

Kevin Jones ends season with a total of 1,133 yards rushing!

Kevin_Jones_0102.jpg

Joey Harrington throws for 346 yards and 2 TD's!

Joey_Harrington_0102.jpg

Sure am glad I'm a Lions fan...being a Vikings fan is a lot more embarrassing at this point...just listen to what the football analysts have to say about your Queens! LOL!!

Attention: This will be my last post on this (my) thread until next season...GONE FISHIN'

First, let me thank you for allowing us us to use this (your) thread. I feel quite honored.

At least they are still talking about our team. That must mean we are in the playoffs. Curious timing of your last post. You did not respond to anything for quite awhile but you found time after a Viking loss. Have you been just hovering the site waiting for a chance to pounce? You don't respond to anything that points out your teams poor position, but you jump on anything you can about the purple. I know you have a need to fish as you have not had to worry about the NFL playoffs in quite a long time, but I would have at least thought you would have defended some of your posts that were questioned (if you believed they actually held water).

Also, to point out one final inaccuracy, you are correct that the Lions may have played Atl. which was tougher than New Orleans, but you were incorrect to say Swampman was wrong. In your own post of rules regarding scheduling, it is stated there are two games each year based on the previous years finish. I guess his statement was correct and you could have saved yourself a lot of work. Congrats to Harrington, he beat up another injury plagued pathetic defense. As soon as he does that against a defense that matters he will have my respect. As far as Jones goes, you got yourself a player there.

Good luck on the ice and we will look forward to next year. The Lions will be better so maybe you can talk some smack that actually makes sense. Also, I hear the NFL will seed the playoffs using your method of achievement, the old percent of improvement system. laugh.gif

It don't matter.We're in, Lions out. Anything can happen in the playoffs. I guess I'm like Tice. Fact is we're still in weather back door,front door, or side door. Now u can start saying Tigers r going all the way.( to the bottom)

Go fish grin.gif

Mike Tice is a genious! I mean how many coaches would have had the balls to have their team lose and yet still make the playoffs with the worst possible record as well as acheiving a higher draft pick later this year!!

I say this tongue in cheek of course.

Backherup is a decent guy but sometimes very full of hot air. shocked.gif

The Lions are just a worse version of the Vikings.... period!

BackHerUp full of Hot air, you think?. Decent guy proably, I dont know. While I wasnt exactly sure how the NFL schedules are set , besides conf play I did know there was a order of finish criteria. Thanks for doing the searching to prove my point. As far as your first statement regarding greasy jeans , torn flannel and moduler homes, whats up with that? I mean come on picking at someones football team is one thing but that statement kind of crosses a line dont you think. While you may not post anymore this year I have no doubt you will be peaking in this forum to see what is being said.

buzzsaw, that's the greatest picture ever. What I like the most about it is not only does it represent everything a franchise stands for, it also stands as a literal metaphor for an entire city. Proud of the Honolulu Blue, I guess.

What an enlightening thread. I've learned that talking about professional football with a Lions fan is like reasoning with an immature three year old toddler throwing a hissy fit. Time for nighty night, BackHerUp. The playoffs are here. No, no, don't cry like that. You're a big boy, not a little girl. I know, I know. You're right. The Detroit Lions will be a good team someday. And yes, unicorns and leprechauns are real. And so are the Tigers chances of fielding a good team.

Now go nighty night. The playoffs are here. Sweet dreams little man.

Awww, thank you wade... go to purple pride.org and you'll find some interesting stuff. Did you just start reading this thread? Backherup almost had al of us convinced 4 months ago that his motor city kitties would go 10-6 and lose in the championship game!! He really let all of us down with his prognostications! I liked your response as well!!

P.S. Obviously our Vikings chances of winning the SB aren't very good and I'm sure we will hear about it when and if they lose... but once again atleast our team(s) made it to the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

Detroilet, the sewer of our country. Responsible for such ugly classless trash as: Ted Nugent, Kid Rock, the Detroit Tigers, the Insane Clown Posse, Bill Lambeer, and of course the Lions. One of those dung piles loaded onto a plane and came to the Metrodome to accept yet another loss in their quest to break the all-time NFL consecutive road loss record. Ahhh, the Lions, you gotta love being in a division with these turds. What I always love about the Lions is when Vikings fans see them on the schedule at the beginning of the year, they all say the same thing, “well we play Detroit twice, so we’ll get at least two wins”. And they’re almost always right. tongue.gif

Just to remind all the folks on this site about backerup:-

he's the same guy that said Alan trammel would be manager of the year in baseball in july of 2004. Give me a break. Tigers and Lions and ,,,,, OH MY !!!! The teams that bring one word to a sportsfan---- LOSERS!!!! and Dorthy aint taking those teams to OZ in the near future.