• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Deroit Lions will...

BackHerUp

Finally...there may be a change at QB (vs. the Vikings):

Quote:

Lions are unsettled at QB

Mariucci unsure if he'll start Harrington or McMahon against Vikings on Sunday

By Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

Brandy Baker / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- Joey Harrington's status as the Lions' starting quarterback for this season -- and the future -- is up in the air because of a series of subpar performances.

Coach Steve Mariucci said Monday he has not decided whether to start Harrington or backup Mike McMahon on Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings at Ford Field.

That doesn't mean a change is coming, but the fact that any doubt exists is a sign that Harrington's position has weakened.

"That's fair to say," said Mariucci, referring to the possibility that Harrington still must prove he is the long-term answer for the Lions.

"There's more proving to do. You bet."

Harrington completed 5 of 22 passes for 47 yards Sunday in a 16-13 loss at Green Bay. He has thrown three touchdown passes in the last six games, and the offense has been unproductive despite the emergence of a strong running game led by rookie tailback Kevin Jones.

"We haven't made any decisions on any of that just yet," Mariucci said at his weekly news conference.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackHerUp

• buzzsaw

• vikingtom

• 196thDLR

If they don't start McMahon, will you look at Marriucci in a different light?? I say bench Harrington just to send a message! It should be an interesting game at Pontiac this weekend. Whats your prediction?

Now I come to find (reading into Mariucci's words) that the Lions probably won't re-sign McMahon next year...to me, that would be like losing a Steve Young. He's that good in my mind. He hasn't had the chance to get his rhythm going, but he's a playmaker with more athletism than Joey. He gets the team fired up with his play. He also would a serious threat, now that the running game is going, because he has some wheels of his own (ala Vick)...gosh I hope they keep him and start him next year!! It may not happen. confused.gif

Quote:

Issues beyond this season influence a decision involving the Lions' quarterbacks.

Harrington is in the third year of a six-year, $36.5 million rookie contract signed in 2002. It included a signing bonus of $13 million. His base salary jumps to $4.95 million next year.

McMahon will be a free agent after this season, having signed a one year deal for this season at $1.4 million.
Mariucci indicated again Monday there might not be any benefit to giving experience to a player who probably won't be on the roster next year.

"We know that Mike is not under contract for next year," Mariucci said. "Does that play into our minds once in a while? I suppose it does. In order to take a look at Mike and have him play this year, we have to take that into consideration."

Harrington and McMahon said later that neither had been told if a change will be made.

"I'm not worried about making plays to keep the job," Harrington said. "I'm worried about making plays to win a football game. We obviously didn't win yesterday (Sunday vs. Green Bay)."

McMahon has played in one game this season. He relieved Harrington in the second half of a loss to Indianapolis on Thanksgiving Day.

But McMahon said a change would surprise him.

"When there's been opportunities to make a change, he (Mariucci) hasn't," McMahon said. "I'd be a little surprised."

Mariucci gave no clue about which way he is leaning. He admitted Sunday's loss bothered him more than any other this season. One way to give a team a lift is to change quarterbacks.

The Lions are 5-8, with only a slight mathematical chance to make the NFC playoffs as a wild card.

In the last five games, Harrington has passed for 611 yards. The inability to have any semblance of a proficient passing game hurt badly in the loss to Green Bay.

"Our passing game has not been what it needs to be in order for us to win, for a variety of reasons," Mariucci said.

"Are we happy with the passing game? No, we're not."

Harrington has been the Lions' full-time starter since the third game of 2002, the year the Lions selected him third overall in the draft.

Until recently, there had been little serious doubt about Harrington's status. But the 2004 season has been a struggle for him, and it has gotten worse the last two months.

After a bright start, in which the Lions went 4-2 and were in contention in the NFC North, Harrington and the offense have slumped. He has completed 54.9 percent of his passes with 15 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Ok...decision's been made: confused.gif

Quote:

Harrington to start against Minnesota

By Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- The Lions' quarterback controversy appears to be a dead issue -- again -- as Joey Harrington began practice Wednesday by running the No. 1 offense.

Coach Steve Mariucci was expected to make an announcement after practice.

Mariucci left open the possibility of replacing Harrington with Mike McMahon in his news conference Monday because of Harrington's subpar play in recent games. Harrington completed five of 22 passes in Sunday's 16-13 loss at Green Bay.

Mariucci did not say he would make a change for Sunday's home game against Minnesota, but he did not endorse Harrington as his starter for this season or the future.

Harrington has started 29 straight games. McMahon has played in only one game this season. He has not started a game since 2002.

mad.gif

It has been fun reading this thread!

Hats off to both of you!

This weekend you can expect more of:

-last year

-What the bears did to the queens

-What Seattle did in (our house)

-What any (half of a team) can do to the Queens right now!

Go any teem that plays the Qweens! GO!

I have found life is a lot happier now that I have coverted.

I no longer have to make idiotic excuses to try to justify my support for such (great role models) LOL

fyi. I converted three years ago.

Go Lions Go!!!! Teach em what they really are!

Heres some reading from ESPN:

Minnesota Vikings at Detroit Lions: On paper, this looks like a lock for the Vikings. But in the NFC, there are no locks. The Lions will start Joey Harrington, but not with much enthusiasm. Once again, coach Steve Mariucci considered benching Harrington but opted to keep Mike McMahon as the backup. Were McMahon on a long-term contract, the story might be different. McMahon is a free agent after the season and the team gains nothing by giving him playing time. Harrington needs to rally. His completion percentage has dropped to 54.9. His quarterback rating has fallen to 77.2. Halfback Kevin Jones is one of the league's hottest runners, but the Lions can't take too much advantage of it because of the puny numbers coming from the passing game. With all that in mind, the Lions played the Vikings a month ago in Minneapolis and led 19-7 through three quarters. The Vikings scrambled and came away with a 22-19 victory, but it wasn't convincing. This is an important game for Mike Tice. Next week, he plays the Packers on Christmas Eve. The option for the final year of his contract comes due Jan. 1 and Tice can convince owner Red McCombs to execute it if he wins his next two games.

And heres the snap for the extra point to tie the game at 28 apiece................ DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Lions pull a Homer Simpson!! oh ho ho ho!!! Did you know that Duante Culpepper is 9-0 all time vs the Kitties? It's fact and Tice is 6-0 or 7-0 vs the Kitties alltime... We vikings fans like playing the Kitties! ( : Ho Ho Ho!!!

P.S. Your 10 win prediction at the start of this thread is wack as is your Lions dream of a playoff visit. ( :

The Vikes D makes another BAD QB look like a Hall of Famer. Why dont the Announces have the steel to just say that?

Anyways, what a sad win. We will go NOWHERE in the playoffs...

Quote:

It should be an interesting game at Pontiac this weekend.

What!? You're kidding right? They haven't played in Pontiac, Michigan...since Barry Sanders quit. Ford Field, my friend, is in newly re-novated downtown Detroit. And it's a beautiful venue...(as are Comerica Park and Joe Louis Arena aka; "Hockeytown"), you should go sometime.

Now, regarding today's game. What a game! It was very entertaining. Joey Harrington should play sick all the time!

It was good to see him stand up to all the critiscm he's been dealing with. Mariucci says he's gonna stick with him, because he's practices so hard (first one in, last one out) and really cares about the team and the guys. (I just wish he had the talent to match!)

I enjoyed the fact he drove 80 yards, with no time-outs and 1:32 on the clock to score the touchdown that should have sent the game into O.T. frown.gif

Nice to know that the Vikings don't scare anyone, anymore.

The Detroit Lions should win the division next year. The Packers are on the downswing...the Vikings defense is the worst in the NFC North and if they go through more coaching changes this off-season, it'll only benefit the Lion and the Bears, which will be a much improved team when healthy again.

The Lions are young and loaded with talent. Next year, on offense, they can commit to the run earlier...as they did in the second half of this season, when they discovered their #2 pick (Kevin Jones) was as great as they had hoped.

They'll have Charles Rogers and Roy Williams at full health, making them as good a tandem as anywhere in the NFL. They'll have a proven runner in Jones and his blocker, Schlesinger will be back for a full season.

Their defensive line is already great, young and improving. The linebackers (Holmes, Lehman and Davis) are good, younger and getting better, especially getting Boss Bailey back (he missed this entire season). The defensive backfield is questionable. Dre Bly played hurt all year. CB, Fernando Bryant missed 4 games. The safeties are a major problem. Brock Marion (12 yrs in the NFL) has got to go! He's too old and slow. Bracy Walker (11 yrs) is just as old and slow and (filling in for Brian Walker [9 yrs], who is injured) is out of position too many times! These 3 seasoned vets have 32 yrs of NFL experience combined and they still suck!! Got to pick up a free agent Strong Safety and let Terrence Holt play Free Safety...then we're going to the Super Bowl!!!

I really like my team. They're gonna be a handful next year for any one they play.

At home (next year) we host Atlanta, Carolina, Baltimore, Cincinnati and an NFC West team...on the road we play at: New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and at an NFC East team. Should be fun... grin.gif

Kevin_Jones_1219.jpg

Running back Kevin Jones' TD leap

Roy_Williams_1219.jpg

One of Roy Williams' 7 catches

Quote:

Heres some reading from ESPN:

...The Lions will start Joey Harrington, but not with much enthusiasm. Once again, coach Steve Mariucci considered benching Harrington but opted to keep Mike McMahon as the backup. Were McMahon on a long-term contract, the story might be different. McMahon is a free agent after the season and the team gains nothing by giving him playing time. Harrington needs to rally. His completion percentage has dropped to 54.9. His quarterback rating has fallen to 77.2. Halfback Kevin Jones is one of the league's hottest runners...

Blah-blah-blah...I already said all that in a previous post!

This is true though:

Quote:

The Vikings scrambled and came away with a...victory, but it wasn't convincing.

Yeah, a Vikings win today, thanks to an undrafted rookie longsnapper (Don Muhlbach) who just signed on 3 weeks ago, due to an season-ending injury to LS-Jody Littleton...

We lost two games to the Vikings by a combined 4 points! We lost another 4 games by a combined 28 points. We were close to being that 10-6 (or even an 11-5) team I predicted. Lots of things have to happen to turn those ones around, though. We lost them and that's just the way it is. However, on paper...the Lions have a lot more to look forward to, than your "squeak-by", "sideline-squabbling", "no-chemistry", "no-faith-in-the-coach", "first-round-exit-if-they-get-a-wild-card-spot"...Vikings do!!

I still love my Detroit Lions and always will! I look forward to trash-talking you all of next season as my Lions "do the Daunte roll" over your hapless "Queenies"...and I'll laugh everytime Moss wimpers like a baby after every Culpepper sack, fumble and interception at the hands of the Detroit Lion front four! The Lions sacked Culpepper 5 times today, some championship-offensive line you got there! Haaaa!!! How many times did you get to Joey? Oh yeah, here it is...twice! grin.gif I still believe the Lions will win the Super Bowl before your Viqueens do!

Down goes Culpepper!! (courtesy of Cory Redding)

Cory_Redding_1219.jpg

Down goes Culpepper...again!! (courtesy of Kalimba Edwards)

Kalimba_Edwards_1219.jpg

...and he went down 3 more times!

Here are the only stats that matter. Final Score: Minnesota 28, Detroit 27. Overall Record: Minnesota 8-6, Detroit 5-9.

If I were a Vikings fan (and I wouldn't be if there were only 2 teams left in the NFL!), I wouldn't be proud of the way you "won" today...then again, what do you have to be proud of? Enjoy Randy Moss while you can...my guess, is he'll be leaving town if Tice gets the boot.

Whoa my arm's are tired!! I just got done putting the broom down... nothing like getting your sweep on!!! Ha Ha!! I give Backherupdapoopshoot some credit... he loves his team so much!! then he goes dilusional and makes quotes while forgetting some pretty important information... His quote went like this "The Lions sacked Culpepper 5 times today, some offensive line you've got there"

Ummmm dope smoker do you have a clue??? Starter Rosenthal out every game this year, perenial PRO BOWLER Matt Birk out again, McKinnie hurtin badly... get a clue.. we beat you on your turf with so many back ups... including another Pro Bowler out of the lineup... Antoine Winfield.... Wise up and stop being a sore loser... LOSER being the key word.. just like I told you at the beginning of the baseball season.. your Tigers will stink, just like I said at the beginning of this thread.. the Lions will NOT do anything this year!! I am 2 for 2 and you are officially 0-2 so quite betting with your heart and start using your head, all you can do is continue to set yourself up for MORE Detroit disapointment... That should be your new moniker "Detroit Disappointment" I do hope your kitties win their last two games so they fall lower in next years draft!! Are you still routing for W's??? If you need free advice about the other teams in the NFL feel free to ask, I'm sure the rest of us follow more than just one team and take off the blinders... It's been fun razzin' you now go and have a Merry Xmas! smile.gif

In the NFL today a win is a win. If your team would of won by 1 point it would of been the greatest comeback ever. Just suck it up and realize that the lions are not that good. They did give a good effort, but as usual they screwed it up again. By the way how many dropped passes have the lions had this year. Maybe Harrington isn't that bad of a QB its just no one can catch the ball.

It's so nice having DeToilet in the NFC North. Playing the Lions twice a year is like an extra two byes every year. I'm so glad Matt Millon is heading up the Honolulu Blue for the Motown Citty kitties. Meow meow. Ooooh I really respect your intelligence and managerial skills Mr. Millon. Another thing I love about Detroit, besides their masculine uniforms and brainchild executive, is the efficiency that Harrington has with throwing interceptions. Whether they're lobs or (the more traditional style for Detroit turnovers) the ever-popular end over end ducks, Harrington really has a talent for single-handedly losing games. He might be more legendary in this regard than Charlie Batch but time will tell. Maybe he can salvage his career by donning those batting gloves that Charlie Batch wore with so much pride.

Whenever I think about the enduring legacy of the Detroit Lions I envision Wayne Fontes, Bobby Ross, Scotty Mitchell and Charlie Batch whooping it up in a trailer park on 8 Mile, drinking Thunderbird wine and talking about the glory years when the Motor City kitties won 6 games nearly every year and struck fear in the hearts of their opponents vying for that first round draft pick. What a team, what a franchise, what a city. As a Vikings fan, I salute everything the Detroit Lions have done.

Wow! Listen to all you guys...you got me laughing...it's too early to be laughing this hard, at you! Just because my team has been lousy for the last 6 years doesn't mean it can't happen to you! The thing is...you could never go through what I've had to endure and still love your team as much! Just listening to you whiners turn tail and cry and blame Tice or Denny Green, or Moss, or Linehan, or Culpepper, or Cris Carter, or Robert Smith, or Randall Cunningham, or Coach "Burnsy", or all the previous Super Bowls lost, it just goes on and on...it's just a shame you guys have no guts. You love a winner (on the bandwagon), but quit on your team if they lose! (off the bandwagon) It's been well chronicled across the country that, for a state in "Cold Country" you're "fairweather fans"...

You'll see...when they get blown out in the upcoming weeks (as per ESPN's Sean Salisbury and the NFL Network's Sterling Sharpe, Glenn Parker, Solomon Wilcots) you all will be cowering, with your tails tucked firmly into your crevices...and I'll be laughing my arse off! As I did last year 2003 (9-7 and Vikes at Arizona, no playoffs!)...and 2002 (6-10, no playoffs), and 2001 (5-11, no playoffs) and 2000 (11-5 and got smoked by the Giants, 41-0!), and 1999 (10-6, lost playoffs to St. Louis 49-37!) and ooh, 1998...this one was great! (15-1! and lost to Atlanta 30-27...Atlanta got smoked by Denver 38-19 in the Super Bowl!)...

Yeah the Vikings have shown me a lot. If anything, the Vikings are backpedaling every year since 1998...Randy Moss hasn't done anything for you yet and won't. Like I said before...the Vikings don't instill fear in anyone, anymore. The Lions don't fear them. The Bears certainly don't. The Packers look forward to playing you every time, especially now that you can't stop the run or the pass! Face it...you got lucky yesterday. If it weren't for a third-string, rookie long-snapper...you wouldn't be visiting this thread!!

But, I am really looking forward to next year since the Lions (and Bears for that matter) will be even better and the Packers and Vikings will be even worse!! Just look at the trend...you've been declining every year since 1998 and the Lions, albeit slowly, are improving through the draft and will kick the living cowdung out of you for next few years to come...and it will be a pretty sight. Changing of the guards, my friends...just you wait and see.

Buzzsaw writes (Sun Dec 05 2004 05:54 PM)

Quote:

"The Vikings stunk so bad today!! My team is so unpredictable that it may drive me to drink! The kitties looked good I hear... Arizona has been playing better so that will go down as a good win for your squad."

Buzz...you're an ok guy when you're dry and logical...but you can be a loudmouth when you're greased and emotional...enjoying my 12-pack, are ya? Go buy yourself another one for Friday...you may need two.

GO LIONS!!!

Joey_Harrington_1219.jpg

I gotta admit...this has been fun. I learned what Viking fans are really like...but in the spirit of the season...

"Happy Holidays to one and all!"

P.S: My football season is over and I'm gonna try to icefish the upcoming weekends (if I can find a baby-sitter!), so I'll be on here only if the Vikings get lit up...(which is sure to happen!)-- Merry Christmas

hey at least the lions have played in a bowl the past 20 years the toilet bowl they rank up there with the bengals,a 1,000 yard rusher doesnt make a really really bad team any better

You guys are hilarious. Of the top 10 teams in the NFL 9 are in the AFC. Oh wait, after TO got hurt make that 10 of them are in the AFC.

Your accurate in your assesment, I get stoked up when the barbs are flying and have fun with the occasional cheap shot to see if I can get a response. I know we all are doing what we can to rile each other up and it's usually pretty easy to do with a bunch of testosterone filled football junkies... Just answer me this riddle batman (backherup) Who's won more division championships, been to more Super Bowls (I know we lost them ALL) the Vikings or the Lions?? Be honest... It's really no contest.. go all the way back to when the Vikes came into the league in 1961 and start comparing notes. I know the ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl but isn't it also true that it is nice to watch a winning team year in and year out with the HOPE of a nice playoff run?? I remember 1998 like it was yesterday... I expected the vikes to smoke Atlanta and win the SB... it was a great ride for 4+ months... then the collapse. My point is that if your team stinks all year long then it's just not nearly as much fun and you just have to admit that being a Lions fan puts you in the last category.

P.S. I don't make excuses for my team... it is what it is... entertainment

I'm just glad we didn't have Mark Chmura on our squad! grin.gif

Hey BackHerUp,

It's not me that's "got you laughing." You've confused me for the brown paper bag full of ethanol you keep sniffing. Whenever I picture your delusional football watching enjoyment, I envision you huffing cheap whipits, adorned in a sky blue Andre Ware jersey while sitting next to a Matt Millon bobblehead doll.

You can drop the still pictures already. We all know what losers on TV look like, we've been watching Daunte Culpepper go undefeated against them since he began playing for the Vikings. Something like 8-0 against the Little Kitties That Could. Instead of talking about the Purple's playoff losses why don't you address the fact that the last time your team made it out of the first round was 1991. That's thirteen years ago by the way. Just to help your math, because your team's been lousy for a lot more than six years. If I've struck a nerve I'm just joking around with you. So put down the kleenex and pick up your brown paper bag and get in the spirit of the NFL playoff season. Oh wait, I forgot. You cheer for the Lions. Well at least when you're done huffing the fumes out of the paper bag you can cut eyeholes in it and wear it over your head. Or watch basketball.

Oh Wade I love you man!! I just read that outload to two guys in our office and we all just about wet our pants! That was very well written to the very end, which is were the Lions are right now!

I wonder why backherup doesnt post a picture of the bad snap or of the guy on the bench crying those pics he posts are dumb

Quote:

...next year the Vikings will be even worse!! Just look at the trend...you've been declining every year since 1998 and the Lions, albeit slowly, are improving...

Facts are facts...and like the incredibly creative and witty wink.gif Kelly Campbell says, "it is, what it is".

Quote:

Hey wade22,

It
is
you that's "got me laughing." You've confused me for the anger you harbor toward your "going no where...(have a Snickers)" of a football team you keep watching. Whenever I see your delusional football fans watching their beloved Vikings, I envision you putting on your Viking Purple Panties and adorned in cheap purple and gold "YMCA chaps" and make-up, while sitting next to your Randy Moss-Prison Blow-Up Doll
(with vibrating hamstring for life-like action/batteries not included)

We all know what losers on
your
TV look like, we've been watching Daunte Culpepper get defeated against the Cardinals, the Bears, the Vikings
and
the Giants, since he began playing for the Vikings. Something like 0-3 against Other Teams That Could (win playoffs). Instead of talking about the Purple's playoff losses why don't we address the fact that the last time your team made it to the Super Bowl was 1977. That's twenty-seven years ago by the way. Just to help your math, because your team's been just as lousy for the last twenty-seven years.

If I've struck a nerve...I'm just joking around with you.
grin.gif

So put down the vaseline, pick up your Purple Panties
shocked.gif
and get in the "spirit" of your Randy Moss Doll. Oh wait, I forgot. You cheer for the Vikings. Well at least when you're done watching them this season (my guess is no post-season...again), there's a chance they'll move to Los Angeles. Then you can watch my Pistons beat your Timberwolves in basketball...again, or maybe hockey as my Red Wings beat your Wild...again. Gosh, with the current dismantling of your Twins (bye-bye Koskie, soon-to-go Jacque Jones), I bet my Tigers will even beat your Twins!

blush.gif

Just Funnin' with ya...

Dude you have the biggest case of loser denial I have ever seen, you might want to grow some hair to pull your head out of the mud or you know what!

a detroit writer wrote this:

DREW SHARP: Stop kidding yourself, the Lions will always stink

November 26, 2004

BY DREW SHARP

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

The Lions stink and they always will.

I've always prided myself in brevity.

What more needs to be said?

They couldn't even fool a national television audience Thursday with their traditional Thanksgiving Day masquerade of competence. Instead, the country got its fill of turkey even before it got to the dinner table.

Detroit has really looked good in the last week, hasn't it?

In seven days it has shown the world that its basketball fans can hit their intended targets, but its quarterbacks can't.

Get a clue, people. It's time to stop kidding yourselves.

It's never going to happen here. Deal with it.

The Lions are worse now than they were when they rewrote history for road futility the previous three years. They're regressing at quarterback, cornerback and defensive end. They've finally found an answer to their biggest offensive deficiency -- a consistent running game -- and the offense has nonetheless dipped a few levels below putrid.

a song for you too.

"Livin' on a Prayer" Based on the performance by Bon Jovi

"Lions' Misery" Parody by Mike Armstrong

Detroit Lions... players, coaches, and fans... here's to you.

Herman used to play for the team.

Mitchell threw the ball, the Lions were a dream, it seemed.

Sanders brought 'em out of their seats.

But then he went on strike, he hung up his cleats for good. mmmm

He says I gotta hold on to what I made.

It doesn't make a difference if I never get paid.

The only thing they got with Morningweg... IS A FAILING GRADE!

OHHHHHH They're 0 and 3. OHHHH Porcher rips his knee!

Mike McMahon throws it to a DB!! WHOA it's Lions' misery!

Spielman used to crumple the bones,

of backs that came into his area of the zone. Ohhhh

There's a Wide-out by Terry Fair.

Don't even get me started on Andre Ware. Don't dare.

102 grabs for Perriman.

I'll be da****if he ever saw the field again.

Maybe they'll score some points this fine weekend...

FORGET IT MY FRIEND!

OHHHH they're 0-5. OHHHH they're taking a dive.

0-16 is for what we strive. WHOA... can they survive??

******************* Guitar Solo ********************

Oooooo Jason Hansen's still great, no change.

Now if only they could get within his range.

OHHHH They're 0-10. OHHH They lost again!

Are there any fighting men INNNNN the Lion's den??

Whoa! The Lions SUCK!

Whoa! Lions SUCK!

*fade*

Hey BackHerUP,

Jaque Jones signed the other day with the Twinks. Just wanted to make sure your ramblings were full of up to date info.

backherup if the lions are getting better year after year it will take until the year 2025 until they are in the playoffs rack up another sweep by the vikes vs the lions but like you say they will be always better next year its always next year