• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Deroit Lions will...

BackHerUp

what happened to the lions winning 10 games? the lions are so bad the packers could beat them!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackHerUp

• buzzsaw

• vikingtom

• 196thDLR

what happened to the lions winning 10 games? the lions are so bad the packers could beat them!

So what does that say about the Vikings? They're so bad they got beat by the Vikings as well.

Well...there's not much I can say to that, except that the Lions can still finish 9-7! They can win the last 5...it's not impossible!! After all they face the Vikings (hee-hee), which they lost to by 3 points and could've won if not for Harrington!, the Cardinals, the Bears, the Titans and the Packers. All of them are losing (except for the Packers, who are on a roll). The Vikings...like the Lions are going to be golfing in the southern states in January...where I'd like to be!

Ben Wallace didn't get into the stands because he wasn't fighting with the fans, you see. That's why he's only suspended for 6 games. The real jerk is Ron Artest (did you see NBC's "Today Show" interview?), he can't put a sentence together to state his case, he's that ignorant. They also showed his history dating back to high school suspensions involving his penchant for fighting. Anger management? Give me a break...judging from the interview he never went to one session. He thinks it's all funny and also shows no remorse when asked (and I'm paraphrasing) "how does this impact the kids watching the sport at the event and the on TV?" He wouldn't admit he did anything wrong...it was the fans fault, and that NBC shouldn't have shown the replay!

Don't get me wrong...I believe a couple of fans were equally responsible for the incident (the tape shows one man in particular underhanding the cup of ice, which hit Artest when he was laying on the courtside table, which started the whole ugly melee. He's had his season-tickets revoked and will probably see criminal charges when they are determined)...

I also believe this would have happened anywhere, including Minneapolis. The proximity with which fans sit to this sport, and the inclusion of alcohol meant something like this was inevitable. The fact that it happened in Detroit is unfortunate, since people like you tend to believe "you're above that". Believe me...you're not. Just look at the way you react towards me? If you had a cup of ice 15 posts ago (buzzsaw) you would have thrown it at me!! grin.gif

One (positive?) Lions note: Kevin Jones is the real deal now that they are giving him the ball more than 6 times a game. 99 yards on 12 carries? That's 199 yards on 25 carries the last 2 weeks! That's awesome...however, Mariucci stated again, Harrington is the starter! Harrington needs to be benched. Mike McMahon has outplayed him the last 2 pre-seasons (including the last 6 games of the season before Harrington was drafted). But the pressure to start Harrington is coming from the front office, since Harrington is multi-year/multi-million and McMahon's only paid 1.3 million a year (for 2 years). I just wish they would start the better athlete...oh well, "there's always next year".

A phrase you Vikings fans are very familiar with too!! cool.gif

Kevin_Jones_1125.jpg

Quote:

Well...there's not much I can say to that, except that the Lions can still finish 9-7! They can win the last 5...it's not impossible!! After all they face the Vikings (hee-hee), which they lost to by 3 points and could've won if not for Harrington!, the Cardinals, the Bears, the Titans and the Packers. All of them are losing (except for the Packers, who are on a roll). The Vikings...like the Lions are going to be golfing in the southern states in January...where I'd like to be!

Yes the Lions CAN still finish 9-7, but they will not. They will finish 2-3 at best in their last 5 games to finish at 6-10.

FYI:

The Lions never punted once in the first half...

The Lions moved the ball and entered the "red zone" 3 times (where they had one of the leagues best red zone efficiency ratings), in the first half...but you can't exchange TD's for field goals...

Kevin Jones had 89 yds rushing in the 1st half...

Ok...now the bad:

The Lions fumbled once this year, coming into this game. They fumbled 4 times! (they fumbled 4 times all of last year!). Very uncharacteristic of the Lions who have protected the ball better than anyone up until yesterday...

...because of that, Peyton Manning had short fields to work with and a tired defense out there...

Eddie Drummond has broken his shoulder blade and is out for the season...

Eddie_Drummond_1125.jpg

A lost is a lost, weather by 3 0r 103. I said the lions could lose 9 in arow awhile back. Since then the lion's are 1-4. Moss is back and we'll be right back in it.

Hey, got an idea....

Why don't we all get together and throw beers at each other...the one who catches the most beer in their mouth wins!! grin.gif

Hey Tom, the Vikes were never out of it to begin with. Now that Moss is back, It's time to open the lead a little bit. We'll be at the game Sunday, can't wait to see Daunte throw the long ball to Moss again.

Back her up, You guys havnt had a good coach since Fontes. He just had a horrible team to work with. Things wont change till you get someone in the front office that knows what they are doing, Millen is a joke. Not totally convinced Mooch is the answer either after some of the decisions he's made recently.

The real important thing about this weekend is not the football, but Thanksgiving, the holiday and the opportunity it affords us all. To reflect on what we have...family, friends, freedom, peace and hope.

Remember too, that Americans are dying as we speak in Iraq (6 more today), and to give thanks for their efforts to do the right thing...in spite of politics.

I truly wish all of you had a good Thanksgiving and had the chance to give thanks, as I know I did (in spite of "the game")...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you all!!

----------------------------------------------

Tom Herman: I have to agree...fans in Detroit have wanted the Ford Family to get out of football, and sell the team. The Fords have been content fielding mediocrity knowing Detroit Lions fans will continue to sell out every home game, every season. The Fords don't spend money on high-slary players if they don't have to...and they don't.

As far as Fontes goes ('88-'96)...he was a players coach...but not a good teacher or disciplinarian. The players would party hard the night before games and he couldn't control them...He had the talent too. All-Pro's in Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, Chris Spielman, Benny Blades (SS), Lomas Brown (T), Jerry Ball (NG), Mel Gray (KR), Brett Perriman (WR), Al "Bubba" Baker (DE), and a record setting offense with Scott Mitchell's 4,000 yds. passing the year Moore and Perriman became the first to each catch more than 100 passes in a single season...they lost to the Redskins, the 49'ers and the Cowboys in the first round, (to the Redskins and 49'ers by missing last-second field goals!). I think they were a head coach away from winning it all, back then...

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?cont_id=46222

Thats cool to know. Seems ya never know about a head coach till ya hear it from a local fan. I remember a few years ago we went down to watch KC play the Vikes in KC. his was the year after Shotenheimer left. We talked to a number of fans and we would always say I bet you were sorry to see Marty go. And every one of them would say pretty much the same thing, that they were glad because he could not control his players. This was after the media kept saying how good of a coach he was, etc. etc.

Ahhh the love! I wouldn't have tossed a beer at you bud, I'm just defensive from time to time and love to debate sports... as we all obviously do. It seems like the group of guys in this chat thread are decent, I don't think I can give you a hard time about the Lions anymore, they're just falling off too fast. I like Kevin Jones and a few of your wide receivers.. and DB Dre Blizzeye. The Mastermind Millen needs to either make great trades or rebound with a few great years in a row of drafts... like this past season. I still owe you a 12 pack... maybe sometime when your down in the cities I can hook you up. Good luck the rest of the season, I have to go rile up some Packer fans now. ( :

P.S. Didn't Manning take a seat when they were up like 41-9 and two minutes were left in the third qtr?? Imagine how many more points they would have scored on the Kitties... scary eh?!

...Manning asked to come out because his arm was sore!

Both Marvin Harrison and Brandon Stokley had to come out due to aggravated rotator cuffs from spiking the ball too many times in one game, this according to team physicians... grin.gif

Shaun_Rogers_1125.jpg

Buzzsaw writes:

"...I don't think I can give you a hard time about the Lions anymore, they're just falling off too fast..."

But yet, he does anyway...

"P.S. Didn't Manning take a seat when they were up like 41-9 and two minutes were left in the third qtr?? Imagine how many more points they would have scored on the Kitties... scary eh?!"

Well, here goes and you asked for it. Yeah, we lost by 32 points on national television...but still it was Thanksgiving. Your Vikings lost on national television by 41 points (41-0 to the NY Giants, need I remind you!))...AND IT WAS A PLAYOFF GAME!!!

So please...don't act as if you're immune to sucking scum...you know darn well how it tastes, Jenna "Buzzsaw" Jameson... wink.gif

Ya, back that was 3 years ago. We're talking now. We.re not playing in the pass. Lion's are at 5 losses in arow now right . Vikes win again today.

yes it was a playoff game... oh what Detroit fans would give to ATLEAST get to that point again. It's just not happening anytime soon.

When was the last time the kitties made the playoffs? Better yet, how many playoff games and division titles have the kitties won in say the last twenty years?? Help us understand your mental state of mind.... and then break down the Tigers last .......... oh forget it.

I had fun watching the MN Gopher hockey team dismantle the Wolverines and Spartans this past weekend... who else does Michigan have as sacraficial lambs?

the last time the lions won anything important was back in the 40's and 50's and when they wore leather helmets smile.gif

WAIT GUYS...... NEWS FLASH..... A GREAT QUOTE BY BACKHERUP HAS BEEN SPOTTED AND IT GOES LIKE THIS!

win 10 games this year, which will be good enough to win the division and put Steve Mariucci ahead of schedule in his re-building process. The Lions won't advance past the conference Championship (this year), but will win the Super Bowl in 2005!!.

Just admit that the Kitties are and always will just be the Kitties!

Well...I'm back! I see you guys missed me. A couple wins for your Vikes and you guys walk bow-legged (the tough-guy walk) again! You guys make me laugh! You're still gonna lose, especially when it counts. Playoffs! PLAYOFFS!! We (insert the word Vikings here) ain't going to no stinkin' playoffs!!...and this brings me great joy. The Packers are the team to watch. They lose their starting running back only to get 179 yards out of their back-up fullback!? On Monday Night Football?! That's getting it done, baby. The Vikings are barely winning games they could have easily lost and Randy Moss hasn't brought a Super Bowl to Minnesota yet...and he's still hobbling...so I know they won't get it this year...AGAIN!!!

As far as my Lions go...yeah, they got spanked on Thanksgiving, but they lost 2 of their previous 4 games in overtime (only losing to the Vikes by a field goal!). So they could just as easily be where the Vikes are. Still, that Thanksgiving game hurt to watch...especially when we outgained them in the first half and matched them drive-for-drive (ending in field goals instead of TD's!!). I've been listening to Mariucci's press conference interviews (off detroitlions.com) and he's just an (Contact US Regarding This Word: "boo-boo-poo-poo"). I was too harsh about some things I said about Joey Harrington earlier...I got too emotional. After all, he can't catch the passes he throws (his receivers have dropped a lot of catchable passes this season), but he still needs to improve at an accelerated pace. I just hate the "West Coast Offense" which is designed to "nibble away" at opponents, small pieces of yardage at-a-time. I much prefer to dismantle opponents like Peyton Manning did!! I think if they (the Lions "offensive minds at work") let Joey stretch the field like he did against Atlanta and the NY Giants...then he can be effective with the "new found" running game. Kevin Jones (who missed 2 games this year) has gained 280 yards in his last 3 games and has 507 yards now with 5 games left...I say he gets his 1,000 yards (the way he's running now), and that would only help Harrington if his coaches would help him!!

Oh well, if I could only coach the Lions!! grin.gif

Jones_XBody_1121.JPG

We did miss you! I thought you drove your semi truck into a lake after the latest debacle in Detroit (and I'm not referring to the Malice at the Palace) I'll give the Lions credit, when they take the pipe, they take the pipe. Two more thoughts you can try and dismiss the Vikings the same way you did the Twins on your baseball thread... I see a pattern of when your team gets out of position for postseason possibilities.. you turn up the negative propaganda machine against other competition in the division... thats fine, you can hop on the Packers bandwagon...after all they are hot right... they beat the Texans by a FG as time expired in a game they "should" have lost. and last but not least... your running back is OK, but I doubt he will get enough carries in the last five games to get that 500 yards to go over 1,000 for the year... you see when your losing games by double digits week in and week out you tend to toss the rock, not run the ball... yes I'm saying you will continue your losing ways. Do you still hold onto your statement to start this thread that the Kitties will finish 10-6 and make the playoffs??? If the Vikes win 10 games does this mean we will make the playoffs? Please tell me oh wise man tell the answers to these questions. I heard Marriucci made his team see a shrink to try and get that Thanksgiving performance out of there heads, any truth to this rumor?

Well, an hour until gametime...enough time to answer your inane and predictable posts (you have a fetish for my Tigers, do you? Where did your Twins end up? Same place the Tigers did, on the golf course! So you've got nothing on me there).

When the Lions win against Arizona, they will embark upon a journey that has been done most recently. Need I remind you you (I guess I do...), the Carolina Panthers were 4-7 last year when they proceeded to win 5 in-a-row, win the 1st round and second round playoff games and enter the Super Bowl. So, the Lions are still "right in the thick of it", much to your amusement I'm sure. Yes they did lose badly on Thanksgiving (at least we got our blowout out of the way during the regular season) and yes they have lost 5 straight (2 in OT), but have also beaten both Atlanta and the New York Giants (which your Vikings were incapable of doing), which bodes well, come tie-breaker time. I'll admit, it will be difficult, but not impossible.

Rest assured, however, I won't be as devastated as you will when your fantasies become another relived nightmare because I obviously know (and came to terms with) something you don't.

Randy Moss won't get you to the Super Bowl. I know this because the Lions had the greatest running back of all-time and that didn't get them to a Super Bowl. I've come to realize this...and until you do, you're really no better off than you were before Randy Moss arrived. One man does not a Super Bowl make. Just look at all the recent Super Bowl games...all played by teams that had either a great defense or an extremely balanced team. Granted my Lions don't have that now, but neither do the Vikings.

I know I amended a 10-6 prediction earlier to 9-7, then back to 10-6, but 9-7 isn't impossible since the Lions ended (if memory serves me right) the '97 season with 5 wins out of the last 6, ended the '95 season with 7 straight wins, and ended the '91 season with 6 straight wins, all culminating in playoff appearances with one NFC Championship game ('91).

So, I will watch closely and enjoy whatever happens, knowing that the next few years are really going to be fun with the young team (Roy Williams, Charles and Shaun Rogers, Kevin Jones, Joey Harrington, Boss Bailey, Eddie Drummond, Andre Goodman, Chris Cash, Alex Lewis, Corey Redding, etc.) developing and Randy Moss, Daunte Culpepper and the rest of the Vikings getting older (with Moss probably leaving Minnesota in quest of a Super Bowl ring)...

Oh, by the way if you don't remember Corey Redding, here he is sacking Daunte for a safety:

Cory_Redding_1121.jpg

and here are more photos of what you'll have to get used to:

Roy_Williams_1121.jpg

Kevin_Jones_1121.jpg

Cory_Redding_1121_1.jpg

Joey_Harrington_1121.jpg

Kevin_Jones_1121_1.jpg

P.S: I won't be on this thread as much during the next few weekends due to work volume increases and change in schedule (running night/linehaul out of state), but I'll be watching from afar..."enjoy the season".

Man, I'm a grammatical genius, I'm so glad I went to school in 7 different states and 3 countries. I learned how to spell and compose effective dialogue and engage people gracefully, yet forcefully in verbal combat, and I can do it in 3 different languages...entienden, o sea necesario que te lo explique, vous et tres embeciles!!!...oh and I learned Minnesotan too..."ya, Sven...demVikes, a guynose deyainta goinanywheres, likea guynose winterz gonnagetcold, you betcha'der..."

Oh my gosh are you self obsorbed! So I see you didn't really address a few of my questions but thats OK... I like how in one thread you can bash Harrington and in another you can annoint him one of your young guns. You should beat Arizona today however.... and that will make your two week hiatus a happy one. Did you actually call Culpepper and Moss old??? oh boy are you hurting for material... My prediction - Detroit wins no more than 6 games this year and another high draft pick.

on a side note... I work for a trading company and contract with local truckers ie... sonny peterson, CH Robinson... and nat'l truck lines like FFE/AMCAN, Ristow and fifty others... do you work for any of these guys?

I'm really not self-absorbed...just confident and proud of who I am and where I've been (around the world 5 times over, Travel: the greatest education anyone can buy) Someone else paid for it in my case.

As far as your trucking question goes...my profile says it right there...I drive for Conway Central Express (CCX). Our industry is LTL. You contract out long-haul "Truckload". That's what those companies you mentioned do. They also aren't as large as we are. We're number one in the LTL industry for the 5th consecutive year.

In reference to your questions, I answered the one regarding the season record. As far as the Vikings going to the playoffs...they have to beat Chicago first....and that probably won't happen, so going to the playoffs probably won't happen either (tie-breaker rule will come into effect: the Packers and Lions will have the advantage, especially when the Lions beat Green Bay, Minnesota and Chicago in the next 3 weeks;))! What other questions did you have? Oh...the Lions were in the playoffs 8 times in the last 20 years, advancing to one NFC Championship Game by beating Dallas 38-6 in 1991. They lost to Washington that year mad.gif. The Lions have won as many Super Bowls as the Vikings have. Zero! I do believe as long as it may take Detroit to win a Super Bowl, it will still happen before the Vikings do!!

FYI: Kevin Jones had 105 yards in the first half and currently has 166 yards with 5 minutes left. Detroit leads 26-12. What's the score in the Vikings game? Oh yeah, 24-14 with 3 minutes left! What a great day for Detroit Lions fans...

photos\Halftime_Gameday_1205.jpg

Hey buzz...don't you have another thread you can visit? People are beginning to wonder. I know you love me but we need to see other people...(ha-ha-haaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!) grin.gif

I'm sorry...I get excited over Lion wins and Viking losses! Looks like you lost Antoine Winfield too.

The Lions, in their game had 4 interceptions and Dre Bly had 2 of 'em. Kevin Jones rushed 196 yards (he only needs 297 now for 1000 with 4 games left) and Roy Williams had 4 grabs for 76 yds...

Roy_Williams_1205_2.jpg

The Vikings stunk so bad today!! My team is so unpredictable that it may drive me to drink! The kitties looked good I hear... Arizona has been playing better so that will go down as a good win for your squad. Your division champion pick Packers are only down 41-3 as of right now and just missed another TD pass. I don't have faith in that pick of yours... oh and I do LTL business (Less than load) only with refer units. dohhh 44-3 now!! The whiskey is being consumed in large amounts in Wisconsin right about now. Anyways a dissapointing sunday for purple fans... atleast my Gopher Hockey squad is still ranked #1 in the country... blah blah blah right?!

Man, the Packers getting spanked like that has Mariucci all fired up...http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=382841

It was nice to see the Pack implode like that, especially since we have to play them Sunday (it's on Fox 9, 3pm, right after the Vikings game). Problem is, they usually rise to the occasion...and it's a huge game for Green Bay, but that said, it's even a bigger game for Detroit. Their playoff hopes (at 5-7, their hope's are mathematical, not logical!) ride on each and every game left this season, and they control their destiny. Nice to see the running game has come around...finally. Mariucci stopped messing around with running-back rotations and let Kevin Jones loose. He's gained 476 yards on 76 carries in the last 4 games for an average of 6.3 a carry. That's a first down every 2 touches! If this were just one flashy game, Id be skeptical. But Jones has been hinting at this breakout for a month.

If there was just one flashy run, I'd also be skeptical. But it wasn't the 74-yard run (against the Cardinals) that sticks. It was a third-and-3 catch in the fourth quarter, when the outcome was still in doubt. Jones was about to be tackled short but shook the defender and lunged for the first down.

It wasn't a huge play, but it was a winning play. It was good to see for a change.

That's helping Harrington a lot...and his offensive line. Arizona blitzed Detroit 38 times and only got to Harrington twice. A great job by the offensive line. These are the games we were supposed to win, and the ones against Dallas and Washington too, but still it was Arizona, not Indianapolis. That's why next week's game against Green Bay should be a better barometer of where the Lions are at after this win. They are Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when it comes to game time. You never know which Lions team will show up. Gosh, I hope I'm home for the game Sunday!

Scrimmage_1205.jpg

And I hope you bet the Packers like a drum! The Vikes need all the help they can get right now and that would help. I may be wrong on my statement about K. Jones NOT getting to 1,000 yards on the season... only time will tell but I'm looking at eating a crow sandwich.

Quote:

I won't be on this thread as much during the next few weekends due to work volume increases and change in schedule (running night/linehaul out of state), but I'll be watching from afar...
"enjoy the season".

"I'll be home for the game...I'll be home for the game!!"

"C'mon Joey, don't let me down...again..."

Randy Moss takes the reverse and........... throws into triple coverage!! Yeah my vikes lose ANOTHER heartbreaker....

Then I'm routing for the Kitties to beat the cheese and I checked a TV at the mall and it was 10-0 for the boys in blue... I'm going cool! I get home and Longwell is setting upo for a FG to win the game... arghhhh nothing went right today!

Nice picture Andy cute kid. The worst part of the nfc north is that somebody actually gets to win it this year, we all stink! Hopefully nobody gets lucky and knocks of the eagles in the playoffs so the nfc can send a decent team.

Quote:

"C'mon Joey, don't let me down...again..."

Unbelievable! The Lions defense stood up this time...they made some bonehead plays but they kept Favre and the Packers out of the end zone (but once).

Kevin Jones provided another stellar peformance (33 for 156 yds./4.7 a carry and a TD)...but then Harrington's numbers were pathetic. 5 of 22 for 47 yards and he gets sacked twice because he can't see the field fast enough.

I believe we were a "Mike McMahon" away from winning this one. That first drive (that culminated in a Jason Hanson field goal) should've been a TD. To get to the 2 yard line then; 1) take an offsides penalty, 2) TE-Alexander couldn't make a catch on a poorly thrown pass from Harrington and, 3) Joey gets sacked and the Lions settle for the field goal. That, right there, would have been enough to have won the game, as it turns out.

But there were 3 more drives that ended in the red zone (1 TD, 1 FG, and 1 ended up backing out of field goal range!), that could've "sealed the deal" as well.

Some of them passes Harrington makes are just horrendous. I know the wind was a huge factor but to throw 7 yards downfield and still throw at the receiver's feet? C'mon! If Kurt Warner gets benched after leading his team and winning a Super Bowl, why can't you bench a Joey Harrington? I just don't get it. What are Millen and Mariucci thinking? My wish, is that McMahon would get a fair shot at starting next year based on Harrington's drive stumping performances this year, but geez? Granted, Tai Streets dropped 2 passes, one 3rd down pass that would've gotten the 1st in the 4th quarter and kept a drive alive.

Other stats showed how evenly played the game was:

1st Downs: Lions 17 - Packers 20

Third Down Efficiency: Lions 5-16-31% Packers 4-14-29%

Net Yards Rushing: Lions 193 - Packers 116

but here's the one that killed us...

Net Yards Passing: Lions 35 - Packers 185

Penalties were pretty even: Lions 10 for 85 to Packers 9/94

...and here's the kicker! The Lions are mathematically still alive! I just assume give up, if Joey Harrington continues playing like that. He's holding the team back at this point...and yes, I'm convinced (again!) that he is the problem...

Kevin Jones with his TD run

Kevin_Jones_1212.jpg

Has anyone had problems accessing these forums/website this week? It's happened to me twice in the last couple weeks (both times on Mondays)...