• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo Action

Coming home this weekend from college in mankato to do some fishing. Haven't been out for two weeks and I'm just wondering how the action has been on buffalo lake...any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Buffalo, has been slow for some, a dead sea for others. You don't say what type fish your hoping to get? Pike are biting, there are a few crappies being caught, as for walleyes real slow.

I live in Buffalo, MN. I also guide fishing trip, so I try to fish as many lakes as I can.
I'm a multi-species guide so That means fishing bass to walleye and all the with critters that swim. Can be fun and time consuming. Some days its catching alot of fish and others not so many.

I just read the threads above. Have you MSU students tried fishing in Mankato? The rivers are very accessible for shore fishing and once the lakes freeze there are tons of easily accessible ice fishing spots. I moved to Mankato 3 years ago after graduating from college and know a little info on the right direction can be helpful. If you would like more information on where to go, drop me an email. I don't read this forum very often. I won't fish much the rest of the year until there is ice but once the ice is here I will be out a lot and would be happy to bring someone along.

Joel
[email protected]

eyes' and jweitgen I'm from the Howard Lake area and I just moved down to mankato at the begining of the semester so I havent had much time to get out and try the lakes. I guess it would also help if I had a boat down here. I've been going home quite a bit for one of the weekend days to fish the lakes around there. My plans are to get out on the ice as much as possible this winter and find some fish. What do the people around here fish for in the rivers.

Without a boat, summer fishing is tough except for the rivers (I lack one myself). Rivers are great for flatheads, channels, walleyes and all the rough fish; last year I caught my first sturgeon.
For a good place to start, email me and I have a few spots that hold fish and have never let me down.

Once the ice arrives, drop me an email and I can point you in the right direction. I know it is often hard to store all the gear while in college so feel free to email me as I have plenty of gear and go often.

Joel

I fished Buffalo Sunday, the 19th, for about three hours around sunset. I know the lake pretty well and hit several spots. Raps, shad raps, minnows, lindy rig, bobber, and crawlers - no bites. But, a beautiful evening on the water - it would sure beat studying.

Went out last weekend to clearwater, cedar and waverly. Fishing was tough on all of them. I'm heading out to Buffalo on thursday and maybe friday just wondering if anybody has been out there as of late. I will be targeting walleyes.

There have been people fishing from the north shore and a couple of boats in the area around dusl over the last week. Anyone been in that group and had success?

Me and another guy fished yesterday {9/30/04} from 11 am to 5:30 pm.
Jigging with fatheads produced 5 northerns, 1 walleye, a hand full of crappies, 3 bass, 1 bullhead and 1 carp. The walleye was caught 5 minutes before we had to leave.
I hate that, would if......
The lake was dead calm on our departure and you should have seen the carp sucking air from the surface. Litteraly hundreds of these things. {nothing but fins an lips all schooled side by side} yuck!!
This can't be good.

By the way, the bait shop, Buffalo Bob's is closed till ice fishing. Conoco had good minnows.
FYI

I went out to Buffalo yesterday too. Started fishing the shoreline for bass. I had some success boating about 4, but the story was setting the hook...wasn't happening. I had to be lightening fast to set the hook on the ones I did catch. Other than that I missed a couple hand fulls. After that it was getting late so I decided to start trolling around. With a deep running shad rap I caught one nice northern, one bass and a decent crappie all in about a half hour. For the short time I was out there fishing was surprisingly all right.

Went out to Twin and Sylvia this morning...yes in the wind and rain. I was the only boat out there for about two and a half hours. Despite the strong winds, rain and cold air I managed to catch three bass, and again miss a hand full. Jigs seem to still be working, as I caught most of my fish on them in the past two days, but the crankbaits are affective too.

TeeDee -

I've found Conoco's bait to be superior to Buffalo Bob's. For me, Buffalo Bob's minnows start going belly-up in my aerator after half-a-week, but Conoco's will last for a week without a single floater, and they're still very lively.

I went to Conoco for bait the first time when Bob closed and went to Mexico at the tail-end of the 2003-4 ice season. I haven't been back to Bob's since, based solely on bait quality.

About two weeks ago I bought fatheads at a hardware store and was told they cannot get any from their bait supplier. A few days after that I bought some at Buffalo Bob's (when did they close?). They were a bit small, especially for fall fishing, but they were fatties. Anyway, I wonder if there is a shortage of fatheads this year? And I do mean fathead minnows.

Fatheads / fathead minnows all the same thing. There hasn't been a shortage on fatheads to my knowledge. I work at the Gander Mountain in Lakeville. In the fall fatheads can run larger. So far they nice sized not the biggies yet. So small suckers or shiners work well in the fall.
As of today Buffalo lake has not turned over yet. Water temp is still in the 60's.

Came home form school thursday night and went on Twin Lake. Action was average to good. I caught 7-8 bass and 4-5 northerns all in about 2 hours before dark. I went out to Cedar early this morning looking for some the of Fall walleyes...no luck today. I actually got skunked this morning... not even a pike. It was only the second time the entire open water season. I'm going to keep giving the area lakes a chance right up to ice.
The DNR has been pulling off the docks too. Both of these lakes had them pulled.

Buffalo Action,
The crappies are in the deep hole area.
I caught them as deep as 29 ft, and also
suspended 10-20 ft down.
Northerns are eat ing anything they can. I caught one with a large crappie in it stomach.
No walleyes yet.
The lake has started to clear up.

Battled the wind on Buffalo last Friday from 11:30 to 3:30
Crappies disapeared {must have been in the deep hole}, 1 walleye, 3 snakes.
TD

Hit Buffalo yesterday from 4-7. Chasing 'eyes, and came up with none. Did catch 2 northerns and a bass, it was a beautiful night and it felt good to get out on the water after two weeks. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate next week for MEA break. That will probably be the next time I get out.

Hey dew - where have I been, lessee... quittin school... losing my boss at work and having to do his job, too... working on a big deck... oh, and fishing now and then. :-)

Was out on Buffalo 6am-10am last saturday the 10th. Rather slow out there, kinda spooky really - catching the odd crappie while trolling the north shore (really), and making sure ugly fish didn't jump into the boat out over the hole.

Was dead calm, gorgeous morning. Sure beat workin.

Can't wait for ice, to be honest. Been having dreams about it since late August.

I'm looking to catch my first musky this weekend on Waconia. I have never fished the lake but I'm willing to give a try. I'm just wondering what forum I'd look under to read more about the lake and what the fishing is like.

Anybody know?