• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good bass action

Mink and Somers was very good to us tonight. Went out from 6:30 to 8:30 and landed 16 fish myself and my buddy landed 9. The topwaters were working on the north side of the island. Biggest was 19" with most in the 15"-17". We caught two fish with lures in thier mouths. One had a red daichi hook and the other had a small sunfish jig. First time I have ever had that happen. I did have one casuality and that was the digital camera. I'm glad it was the cheap one. I did get a few shots on the disposable so when the roll is filled I will post them.

My brother was on Clearwater and he said the action was also very good. He landed around a dozen nice bass on a pig and jig working the reed lines. He did however lose a few to the toothy critters. I am going to try and make it out there in a few days and try to drop shot a little. I don't have much expierence doing it so it's time to learn!

I love bass thumb!!

Nice report!!!

What lake did you fish? Never mind I see now your said MInk & Sommers!

I agree with clearwater. We fishing in the LETS series and barily moved all day and we ended up with 21+ lbs of fish...

Good luck!

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

[This message has been edited by taxmancommeth (edited 08-03-2004).]

• 1 month later...

Panolo..
Have you been on Mink lately? DNR was netting both Mink ans Somer. Im interested in seing how they come out. I live on Mink. Let me know if you have some time we can share some secrets.
Mike

They usually will post the results on thier website under the montrose area. I will keep my eyes peeled for them. I live across Cty RD 8 over by Ney park so I am very close. We'll have to hook up and catch some hogs!

Panolo
I.O.U for that tip!
Went out last fri p.m.took my 10 year old daughter. It's gona'be tough to take her back walleye fishing after that.
Non stop top water action.
15+ 16"-19.5" bass.
Her wrist still hurt the next day and I lost a layer of epidermis on my thumb.

Pig farmer

The fall bite has been outstanding for the topwaters. I have to get my pics devolped so I can post a pic of one I got that was a little over 22" and had a 17" girth. It had a bullhead body sticking out of its gullett. I was scum frogging over some pads on one of those windy days in a back bay and must have made it mad enough that it wanted to kill that frog. My heaviest to date and I was shaking like a leaf. Also pig farmer if you are from the maple lake area I have been getting some decent fish from indian, granite, and ramsey on the topwaters also. By the way make sure you tell your daughter not to give them all sore mouths so I can have some fun too smile.gif

Is all of this great action on Clearwater Chain? I will be fishing from dock on Grass Lake bay for 1st time on Friday Night and Saturday Morning....what can I expect?

Thanks

Nope actually just a little east of Clearwater. I think you should be able to catch crappies, sunnies, some bass, and maybe a toothy critter or too in Grass. In the spring we hasve done excellent on crappies.

Panalo Thanks again.
Yah I live in the Maple Lake area.
1m east of co. rd-8 on co.rd 106.
Mink is 3m as the crow flys.
Ever visit s.c.c.b?

Pig farmer

Hi Guys, How are the weeds out there on mink? I was out there in the spring fishing and the weeds were really thick. Have they died off? Thanks alot.

I live just north of town by ney park. I have been to silver creek a few times smile.gif I am probably 2-3 miles from you. Probably been by your house thousand of times. I have lived in the area for 15 years.

The weeds on mink should be all good. After the spring time it just usually the algae bloom you have to woory about.

Was fishing MINK last night and was actually slow. We caught only about ten fish.. A couple of hogs though. Anyone interested in fishing together let me know. I live on Mink and am willing to fish anyday.
mike

Hi,
So far I've made 2 posts on this subject but for some reason they have been deleted. I just want to say that I really like fishing these two lakes and I don't think a lot of people know how good it is for bass, until now!
Ole

------------------
"Please release me let me go"

The launch at mink has been full of big boats for years. What makes you think people dont know about them? I live on Mink and its hard to get a spot by 9 am on a weekend. Dont worry the regs wont allow for a tournament, plus the launch only holds what ten boats. Anyone interested in fishing these lakes let me know Ill show you around.
respectfully
Mike
Theres four lake that I know of that have better bass then Mink within 10 miles. All these lakes are pretty consistent.

This is the internet 'aint it?
Maybe Mink is a decoy.
I never even went.
If I did go I lied about the fish.
I never said what plug I used.
Oh thats rite I never even went.
To that lake---or did I?

PF

Have to agree with you Fenwick. There are at least 5 better bass lakes within 10 minutes of Mink. What makes mink nice is that it is a catch and release lake mainly. Plus when that lake gets green alot of people don't want to fish it. Now lets just hope the carp don't come back any heavier. I have seen more this year than any. But some of them have been big. 10-15 pounds. So they have been in there for a few years.

Hey everyone,
I'm sorry about the post. I didn't mean to get anyone upset. (It's been a rough week and I'm sorry to take it out on anyone!)
I guess it's because I've seen some winter panfish lakes get stormed by hot bite reports and it's kind of scary.
I know there are many great bass lakes around and I do appreciate the regulations on Mink and Sommers.
My apologies to you guys!
Fenwick: You're absolutely right. I'll take you up on the offer to show me around!
Thanks,
Ole

------------------

Ole no disrespect taken or noted in your post. If you ever see me on the water or at a access feel free to say hi and we can compare notes. I am in a 16' Tracker modified v hull. I pull it with a newer maroon chevy pickup.

Thanks for the reply, I also have a red Tracker Targa and a Navy Blue Chevy truck.
I look forward to meeting you sometime.
Ole

------------------

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Panolo,
Is Cedar Lake a good Bass lake to fish? Someone told me it was.
Send me an email if you'd like. I'd like to compare notes on a few lakes in Wright County.
Thanks,
Ole
[email protected]

------------------

I fished bass quite a bit out on Cedar this past summer. I was just out there Friday as a matter of fact. Despite the bad luck I had on the lake then, bass fishing on Cedar is good for me. I tried everything that day, form spinners and buzz baits to crankbaits and jigs. Nothing...I think the weather had something to do with that. The size of the fish are about average for this area of the state. At least thats what I have found. I havent caught anything over 19 inches out there all summer. I'm going out to Waverly thursday or friday of this week. I know there are some big bass in there to be had with my largest being 21 inches. According to one of the lake side residents "there is a state record bass in that lake." He was one of them old timers that said he has seen it while he is spearing in the winter. Whether this is true or not I dont know. But one day I caught a 17", two 18's" and a 20" along with more that were smaller but still a nice size all in one night. I couldnt believe it...it was unreal. This alone is enough reason for me to give it another try this fall.

Is anybody having any luck with jigs yet or have we all swithed to crankbait mode?

Good luck all to all the fall Fishermen.

I've been in crankbait mode and spinnerbait mode. I also have had good luck with Texas rigged 10" Berkeley power worms with a 1/16th Florida screw on weight.
I haven't had a lot of luck this summer with spinnerbaits until now. They seem to be chomping at the bit (or bite as it were). Thank God for hunting season. The lakes are quiet but the fish are hungry.
Ole

------------------

Loebs,
Thanks for the info on Cedar!
Ole

------------------

Pulaski has been good after sunset. The top water bite has been fun. Water temp 60 today.

I am in crank bait mode right now. Been having good luck with them.

Ole I will drop you a line!

How is the bite on mink? I was out there a couple weeks ago and had a couple fish on. Last weekend I couldnt find anything. I was wondering also on the island, there looks like a picnic shelter of some sort is on it. Is that what it is and who owns it? Courage center? Thanks

Yep it is the camps. I have had some luck with crainkbaits out deeper. A spinner bait probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.