• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any Report on Clearwater?

How are they biting? What are they biting on?
How does it look for Bass opener?

Bass opener was good, real good. Saturday was better than today, but it was nice to be bassin' again. For us it was a shallow (1-3') spinnerbait bite only...

Spinnerbait bite in 1-3' today for me... 10 bass that were no bigger than 12". No big ones. Tossed the spinnerbait in the weeds on reeled out and got them... couldn't get anything in the shallow open water.

We caught 5 16.5" and larger, all in the shallows. There were a lot of smaller males in with the girls.

------------------
"I can only recall one time that a pair of panties on my head could be considered abuse."

Deep edges is where we found the bigger fish this weekend. The little guys are in shallow, but I didn't see many of size in shallow yet. They should be making a major push in shallow real soon (as soon as the water temp. moves up a few deg.). For now, I'd concentrate on the transition areas to spawning grounds. That is where we did best.

The smallest of the big fish was 16.5! As I stated earlier, all of the fish we caught on a chartruse/white spinnerbait. I did a little better than my partners with a chartruse grub behind it. I also tried a suspending Rogue, with no avail, not even a slimer. Even they liked the chartruse/white spinnerbait.

Hope this helps, C & R is key...

------------------
"I can only recall one time that a pair of panties on my head could be considered abuse."

Looking to go out this weekend. Has anyone fished it during this nice stand of weather, and what is biting, on what and where. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cabela -
this report was from opener on Clearwater...
http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum57/HTML/000590.html

Refugee -
We had some fish in spawning before the cold front knocked them out of the shallows with water temps. dropping to 58-59. Some are done spawning, quite a lot of them hadn't spawned yet as of last weekend though. I expect a lot of fish to have moved shallow with this warm weather and water temps back into the 60's. The bigger fish for us were all off the deeper breaks and deeper spawning beds.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? Might be heading up there either this weekend or next. Have not been out there for a few years, when we did we did OK with a few sunnies and bass, and one pike

------------------
-------------------------

GET-ER-DONE

Was out yesterday...didn't fare too well. Seemed like we did better than everyone else did. We always fish for walleye first and foremost, however we'll take whatever the lake gives us...for fun.

The 2 walleyes we caught were very little (14" each)...2 largemouth bass were nice (15" & 16")...and 2 northerns were nice too (21" & 24")...but for 8 hours of fishing, it seemed a little slow...still beats working for money. grin.gif

------------------
"Git-R-Done"

[This message has been edited by BackHerUp (edited 07-04-2004).]

Was out on the lake yesterday myself with a bass fishing friend and did well ... My Parnter fishing strictly bass and has wanted me to fish with him for a couple of years now. We did very well, Or i should say he did grin.gif since i am mostly a walleye guy and have lost some of my ability to pin point cast in weeds... I did surprise my partner thou by pulling a 26" walleye in 1 area that is close to spot i get them at. I guess thats what happens when a waly guy goes bassin grin.gif

[This message has been edited by rockhardinmn (edited 07-05-2004).]

Rock! So...you were bass fishing with Rainbow minnows? Hope you are well. LCR

Hey LCR ,, nope was throwing cranks.. i do more than live bait rig grin.gif

PS All is good ,, just mot enough time on the water in the summer ,,, gotta work so i can be serious in the winter hahaha

rockhardinmn:

All winter, you can't wait for open water!...now you're wishing for winter?!

...I'm the exact same way! It's actually because I think every winter that I'll have more time to fish in the summer, then summer arrives and I realize there's so much to do around the house and the new kid and so on and so on...and I'm wishing for winter again! So much less pressure to put the boat on the ice! grin.gif

------------------
"Shhh...I'm on the computer (when I should be fishing!)"

[This message has been edited by BackHerUp (edited 07-11-2004).]

Nope not me grin.gif ,, i actually prefer ice fishing over open water In the area i Live at at this time wink.gif ... easier to have more peaceful time on hard water than open water. The reason for m is there are less poeple trying to use the lake in the winter versus summer months

Hope to go out this week. Had some great northern and bass reports from family on Clearwater this past weekend. How is everyone doing in the heat! Let's move this to the top of the board.

I was on Clearwater and Augusta yesterday and the heat was brutal. Tough fishing too!
For all the time we spent we boated 4 Bass released, 2 northerns released and some Crappies in 1.5 ft of water. We were all amazed that the Crappies were that shallow in the heat. Put most of the Crappies back but I took 6 for table fare. Just fried them for dinner tonight, and Man were they tasty!! For the Bass try Drop shotting deeper water we didn't and I think it was our downfall. Otherwise try top waters and Spinner baits early or late in low light conditions. We didn't try for Walleyes as the lake still mystifies me where they are concerned.

[This message has been edited by 1Yogi (edited 07-20-2004).]

Clearwater is out highway 94 past Monticello about 15 miles. I believe it is highway 24 off of 94...

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

Taxman thanx I'll have to try it. never caught an eye and want one.

We were out on Clearwater yesterday for the Metro LETS Series. We took 4th with 21+ lbs of fish. Received great tackle packs from TJ's & Case plastics. Thanks to those who donated those. We weighed in 20 sunnies, 3 pike, 4 Bass.

Three pike were decent (at least to weigh in) were approx 22", 24" & 27". We caught 3-4 more that were either 20" or 21" and 3-4 others that were under the 20" mark.

We got them all using sucker minnows under slip bobber or spinner bait tipped with a Ring-N Grub from catch- N.

Sunnies had to be sorted through to get our 20 count over 7". Bigger ones came on big leeches or 1 1/2" Kick-N Craw (also from Catch-N) tipped with leech or crawler.

First cast of the morning with shiner landed approx. 2 lb bass. Weighed in (besides 2lb) little 12", a 14", and our big fish (was a three way tie between teams) 4 lb ~17" LM. Again all those bass came on spinner baits tipped with Ring-N Grub from catch- N or a sucker minnow.
WIBBsmall.jpg
We fished the same area (approx. 150 yards) of weed line all day. We only moved to go weigh in. We wanted to move but we knew there were bigger fish in there.
firstCastBasssmall.jpg
Partner had one snap Berkley Fire Line at hook set (felt like he set the hook on brick wall), and he also lost a couple LM bass on way to boat (including one 2-3 lb). I did my share of loosing fish as I had a ~ 3-4 lb LM come off on way to boat. Went airborne and shot loose the spinner. Also had a couple kamakaze pike take runs at spinner bait next to boat.

Here are some other pictures of some weights for the METRO group.
BassWIsmall.jpg

Over all it was a great day to be on the lake with the great weather and great fishing. Interested in fishing with a great group of guys (& gal) then check out www.fishingsavvy.com

--------------------------------------------
GET-ER-DONE

[This message has been edited by taxmancommeth (edited 07-26-2004).]

• 4 weeks later...

Was on Clearwater yesterday, a little breezy but bluegill action was good. Started on some mid lake humps with no luck, then tried a spot out of the wind and there they were (that never happens!). Most were decent size and we picked through to get a couple of meals out of it, there were some bonus crappies in there too that made it in to the livewell. Action was best between 8-11am but we were catching fish until we left at 2. We ran out of waxies so I cut up a brown gulp sinking minnow, and that seemed to do as well if not better than the live bait.

Did you try any of the back bays / lakes? Grass Lake or Augusta?

Going out there on SUnday with buddies and family for some fun in the sun. Hopefully it is cool enough so the pleasure boaters stay away.

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

TaxMan-

How was the fishing? I'm very curious, My wife and I close on one of the A-Frames on Grass lake Sept. 17th. I think there is a lot of Crappies/Northerns in that Bay.

We have been looking for quite awhile and ended up on the Clearwater Chain due partially to all of the great feedback on its fishing production on this website. It didn't hurt that the water was crystal clear when we went out and looked both times. The quiet setting of 100 acre Grass lake, with the recreational opportunities of the 4,000 acre chain is a nice combo!

Did decent in Clearwater & Grass. Had two 2lb bass, a few small (<15" pike), also caught about 10 - 12 > 7" sunnies. All were taken on leeches or worms under a float.

Did not try for the 'eyes but maybe next time. Maybe next time...

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

Was out on Clearwater Saturday with a buddy for a bass tournament. He ended up catching two 35" Pike. One on a yellow spinner the other on a small crank bait. Our 7 bass got us 3rd place. Biggest was 3lbs 2oz. Caught that one in about a foot and a half of water on a shallow crank, all the others came from fishing steep drop offs.

------------------
"There's nothing like a big bASS on the end of your ROD!"

[This message has been edited by blakjack23 (edited 08-30-2004).]