• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GPS Question

I am planning on buying a GPS am would like to know the opinions, of those of you who have, on which one to get. I fish pretty much the same lake, all the time. Most of the lake maps I have, have gps coordinates. Is a mapping gps going to be necessary for me? I have looked at Magellans, Garmins etc. Any opinions.

#5 black/silver shad

Go to equipment - Expert information forum and try a search you should find all you need

If you don't have lake maps and are fishing larger bodies of water such as Mille Lacs, Winni, Leech, LOW, ect. then yes, go with the GPS map feature. Otherwise, if you already have maps with the lake features GPS coordinates, then no. I have owned the Garmin, Eagle & Lowrance units and each one has it's pluses and minuses, but for overall ease of use, for me it's Garmin. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

Bob, thanks for the direction, I knew it was there, but have read this forum, and have come to recognize many names and even though, they seem to have a good time in there writing, they also seem very serious about there fishing and would offer help that could be trusted. Nav., thanks for the help. Garmin was the direction I was moving in. The eTrex series. Just haven't decided which one. Any more opinions are greatly appreciated.

#5 black/silver shad

Shallow, I have a supplier I buy from and can get all the Garmen products, in fact my cousin just bought one at Wal-Mart, my price was better, but he needed it before deer hunting, now they make alot of models as legend, Etrex vista & compact Geko 201 and 301, he told me he liked his real easy to operate if you want Ill ask him what model he has or you can email him and get the info, he's a gadget guy so he does alot of research before he buys. I own a AccuNav by Eagle one of the first units out, so the new ones have more features, and pick up more Satellites, Pick his mind he does know. Email me at [email protected] Ill send you his e-mail Bob. Just was reading my catalog the legend and vista are for road nav. the Geko 201 and geko 301 for fishing or hunting the accuracy is 10ft or less with WAAS you want this feature also electronic compass,+ or - 2 degrees on compass nice to have compass also External port PC connectivity & external power, with 500 waypoints and icons more then enough waypoints. Retail is 249.99, Nice unit I know I paid over 400.00 when I bought my eagle. Hope this helps Bob

[This message has been edited by fishnutbob (edited 01-22-2004).]

Yes...we do have fun and we're glad you noticed! grin.gif
About the GPS units. I bought a Magellan 300. I love it. The only reason I bought it was because Gander Mountain in Fridley (mistakenly) "clearanced" it for $43 (thinking they had discontinued that model...they hadn't)! I didn't know one from another at the time. However, since having friends buy Garmins, I came to realize what a great unit Magellan makes...and how much easier it is to use (for me, anyway)!

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 01-22-2004).]

HEY SHALLOW, I HAVE OWNED A GARMIN (VERY EASY TO LEARN AND USE), I HAVE USED A LOWRANCE (OKAY)ALOT, AND I GOT RID OF MY GARMIN AND NOW BOUGHT THE MAGELLAN "MERIDIAN GOLD" AND IT IS THE BEST I'VE USED. IT IS NOT THE EASIEST TO LEARN ON, BUT THE NICEST ONE OVERALL IN MY OPINION.

Thanks for all the help. I bought a meridian gold because one, I liked the features and two, got a very good deal. Magellan had them listed for 339.00. REI had them on there web site for 299.00 as well as the price in the case in there store. Looking through a three ring binder setting on the counter, I found the same Meridian Gold for 250.00. He sold me one for 250.00 and then pulled the page out of the binder. Now the next questions, what software should I use(lakes are the priority) and will lakemaster work with my unit.

#5 black/silver shad

Go to their website...(it's listed in the manual), for suggested softwares...but even if the (Lakemaster) mapping doesn't download imaging/contour, you still have all of the GPS coordinates you can input...and you can still burn a copy of the map on their waterproof paper...you can't lose.

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 01-25-2004).]